Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I won 2 roundtrip First Class flights JFK-Shanghai on China Eastern. How can I sell?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I won 2 roundtrip First Class flights JFK-Shanghai on China Eastern. How can I sell?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Arsey00
In what way is it calculated into the deal? Is this why so often there's a 'spending cash' component? Or are you suggesting that the companies sponsoring high-end prizes make some way to cover the taxes incurred? Other than when the lottery gets up in the hundreds of millions, I rarely enter competitions anyway, but had no idea that winning one might be detrimental.
Companies calculate that a certain percentage of these prizes will not be used on average, so that the cost to the company is lower than it appears to be. It's the same as FF miles expiring or "breakage" on coupons and mail in forms for various promos.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Thanks, I see now. 'Calculated' in the balance sheets, not the actual promo.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Even if the winner is a foreigner just visiting USA?
Sure. If as a USN I earn income in a foreign nation, I am subject to that nation's tax laws to the extent that they apply.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:31 pm

What a dilemma!

Do I buy these tickets, which Harry Lime (a famous though fictional con artist) says are tax free, or do I invest my money with this guy Charles Ponzi from another online forum who says he can double my money?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Thank you for all of the replies. I was put in touch with a friend-of-a-friend who works for the IRS, and his opinion was "I would suspect that the company would have run the prize through payroll and withheld taxes on it's value."
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
If the tickets are worth $20K, OP's income is increased by $20K, but it is "phantom" as he does not have cash for it. If his federal, state, local & FICA taxes amount to 30%, that will cost him roughly $6K in cash he owes to various taxing authorities.

Many people don't claim high-end prizes or they don't pursue their claim once they figure out what it will cost them. Even though paying only 30% of fair market value can be a bargain, that can still be a lot of money to lay it out.

Businesses which manage these giveaways know all this and it is calculated into the deal.
I wouldn't want to win those tickets because income taxes are too high. If they were economy class, that's a different story.

I have gotten upgrade certificates before. They are not taxed. If a non-taxable upgrade certificate is given along with a taxable economy ticket, I would want that.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by HarryLime
Thank you for all of the replies. I was put in touch with a friend-of-a-friend who works for the IRS, and his opinion was "I would suspect that the company would have run the prize through payroll and withheld taxes on it's value."
Income taxes are withheld for individuals in their name. If this post is at all serious, I would not rely on the opinion of a friend of a friend with whom I was put in touch and who allegedly works for the IRS and suspects certain things.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:31 pm

You will receive a 1099 from the airline on which they will put the value, likely the full fare in F. This you need to add on your 1040 as misc income. You can ask the airline to provide you with a reduced valuation which they may or may not provide. It can add up.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
You're not on the airline's payroll. If this were a bonus to an employee, maybe thats how it would work.

PS in terms of your reference to bloggers getting free trips, it is hardly clear as a matter of tax law that they shouldn't be paying taxes on the value of those trips.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Even if the winner is a foreigner just visiting USA?
For this reason, many "game" or "lottery" entries are technically limited to legal residents of the US only. (In the fine print)

To the OP, congrats on the win. Hope you either find someone to take them off your hands (I'll gladly pay the ticketing and income taxes on 2 free FC tickets!) or have a great trip yourself.

Cheers,
SF
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Thanks SF.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by erik123
You will receive a 1099 from the airline on which they will put the value, likely the full fare in F. This you need to add on your 1040 as misc income. You can ask the airline to provide you with a reduced valuation which they may or may not provide. It can add up.
What he said. Get to a good CPA and have them explain it to you. There are special IRS rules for prizes and awards.

You cannot rely on the "advice" of a friend of a friend who allegedly works at the IRS. For all you know, the alleged IRS person does not have any real expertise in this area. The IRS has lots of people working for them and many of them do not have any real expertise in this area of tax. (think clerical staff, engineers, collections officers, etc.) Neither can you rely on the person at the airline. The trip has value, by your own admission. Why else would someone want to pay you for it?

The only person you can relay on for advice on this matter is a CPA that you actually pay to give you an answer. If the 1099 comes in with a $20,000 value, you may end up paying as much as $6-7,000 in income taxes for your "free flight."
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm talking of course about the airline tax on the tickets themselves. Like the same tax you pay when you book rewards flight with your miles (on Delta anyway).

When I was in the offices yesterday, I asked about any possible taxes owed to the IRS. The woman I spoke to said these are promo flights with no actual value. Like when an airline employee gets a free flight somewhere. Or when a blogger is given a comped flight to review. I asked if they needed my social security number at any point, and they said no.
Talk to your accountant. According to IRS rules, you must declare your winnings (even airline miles won, not earned, fall under the same rules) and pay taxes on the fair market valuation. Sell them, you are likely to still owe taxes on the proceeds.

Talk to an accountant, not an airline ticket agent or "a friend of a friend...".

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 18, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
As this is not a Miles&Points situation, the thread has been relocated to the general TravelBuzz forum for further discussion and feedback.

Good luck.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"The only "catch" is you have to pay the $505 taxes on each ticket."

What are those taxes? Government transportation taxes/airport fees/airline surcharges? Unless the airline knows your tax bracket, it cannot possibly know how much you will have to pay in federal, state, and local (if applicable) income taxes.

To whom is the airline going to issue the 1099 form? And what value will be ascribed to the prize on the 1099?

Suggest you consult with your accountant before you do anything with your prize.
That's right. If he uses the tickets, the $40k retail value is considered taxable income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.