Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sneaky passengers and the overhead bin.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sneaky passengers and the overhead bin.....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by dchristiva
IMO, that's not "a bit dickish", that's totally dickish. I think it's fine for one to ask the FA to rearrange things if they aren't put in the overhead correctly, but it's totally unacceptable to take matters in your own hands and have someone else's bag checked. Especially all based on ANOTHER passenger's statement or speculation.
I did tell the FA that it was NOT my bag. She just went ahead and gate-checked it. What else was I supposed to do? I really had no idea whose bag it was. Not my responsibility to figure out whose bag it was. I think the FA knew it belonged to someone in coach but she just didn't feel like making an announcement. It was a dickish move on her part.(wait, can a woman be dickish or is that not PC? )
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by TENYKS
I did tell the FA that it was NOT my bag. She just went ahead and gate-checked it. What else was I supposed to do? I really had no idea whose bag it was. Not my responsibility to figure out whose bag it was. I think the FA knew it belonged to someone in coach but she just didn't feel like making an announcement. It was a dickish move on her part.(wait, can a woman be dickish or is that not PC? )
That is not how I read your OP. That does make a difference, and you're right - once you tell the FA, you can't control what he/she does about it.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:17 am

That is not how I read your OP. That does make a difference, and you're right - once you tell the FA, you can't control what he/she does about it.
for the record, this is how it went down...

Me: can you gate check this, please?
FA: sure thing, this yours?
Me: have no idea whose it is, but it's in MY overhead bin.
FA: ok. (looked around people in first class and seeing no objections)
Me: Thanks! (putting my own bag in the overhead)

(not that it has anything to do with this thread, but the FA was probably the hottest FA I've encountered in the last several years... so hot that I couldn't get her out of my mind even when I'm in bed with my old ball and chain)
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?

(not that it has anything to do with this thread, but the FA was probably the hottest FA I've encountered in the last several years)
Fair enough, but how do you figure it was "your" overhead bin as opposed to anyone's in first class? I haven't encountered an airline that allocated overhead space to specific passengers, but think that wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JR14
Agreed. Someone pulled that with my bag once -- except that the bag wasn't oversized. It just didn't fit once the other passenger had turned it to make space for his bag. They ended up moving my little roller up to the front of the plane, leaving me to spend the flight wondering if anyone was rifling through it.

Lesson learned: Watch your carry-on like a hawk until everyone's on board and the overhead lockers are all closed up.
An even better lesson would be to keep your valuables on your body if possible or in a bag under the seat in front of you if not possible (laptop, etc). Call me paranoid, but I never have anything of significant value (jewelry, cash, passport, etc) in a bag that is sitting in the overhead bin.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Often1
This is 100% the GA's fault for allowing the scammer to bring the bag onboard in the first place. If there were strict & consistent enforcement of the carry-on rules, this silliness would not occur.
Actually it's the scammer's fault for taking advantage of the GA not being eagle-eyed and under-employed.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I have done similar. Except I pointed out the guy down back and the FA took it to them. Don't have a problem with that in the slightest.
I think that's fair enough

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
An even better lesson would be to keep your valuables on your body if possible or in a bag under the seat in front of you if not possible (laptop, etc). Call me paranoid, but I never have anything of significant value (jewelry, cash, passport, etc) in a bag that is sitting in the overhead bin.
Also a good point, actually if I have one bag and it's small enough it always goes under the seat in front. Mind you I don't need the legroom
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacobac00
I feel the person that turned the bag the proper way is right. It sounds like the rollaboard is too large and should have been checked. They are supposed to fit wheels or handle first, not sideways.
Yup. I would have no problems with turning the bag pointing out unless I was in a seat with an extra-small bin. If it doesn't fit, too bad.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Why would someone with a bag that complies with all sizing regulations, that puts a bag into the overhead the only way it will fit, be in the wrong? Something can't be "supposed to fit" in a way that it just doesn't. Many, many overhead bins do not fit regulation-sized bags.
You have some evidence the bag was of proper size and it was a small bin?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:02 pm

Fair enough, but how do you figure it was "your" overhead bin as opposed to anyone's in first class? I haven't encountered an airline that allocated overhead space to specific passengers, but think that wouldn't be a bad idea.
oh... isn't it common flying etiquette/courtesy that the overhead bin directly above you "belongs" to you and your seatmate(s) only?

or is that only pacticed on Japanese airlines?

Last edited by TENYKS; Nov 6, 2014 at 2:09 pm
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:16 pm

oh... isn't it common flying etiquette/courtesy that the overhead bin directly above you "belongs" to you and your seatmate(s) only?
Most of the folks here subscribe to the "shared space" idea, and many LCCs announce the same when boarding. Airlines with designated classes will normally, via announcement or signage, indicate that overhead storage in a given class is exclusive to that class.

Unless the bin has a label that states the storage is exclusively for the seats in my row, I have to assume it's a free-for-all (within my purchased class, anyway).
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold

Courtesy? Yes, it is. Is courtesy practiced on airplanes? Not often enough.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Maybe the airlines should keep the F bins closed? F pax will open to put stuff up, but passing Y pax cannot quickly shove their bag in and move on to the back.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

(not that it has anything to do with this thread, but the FA was probably the hottest FA I've encountered in the last several years... so hot that I couldn't get her out of my mind even when I'm in bed with my old ball and chain)
So some person sitting in F and absorbed in doing some work now has his bag snatched away just because you couldn't be bothered to board with the rest of F?

Pretty disgusting and insulting side comment about your wife, too. I'm sure your wife would be proud to read it.

DYKWIA to the max. I don't see why you would tell such stories on yourself.

In a word, no.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Nov 6, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Most of the folks here subscribe to the "shared space" idea, and many LCCs announce the same when boarding. Airlines with designated classes will normally, via announcement or signage, indicate that overhead storage in a given class is exclusive to that class.

Unless the bin has a label that states the storage is exclusively for the seats in my row, I have to assume it's a free-for-all (within my purchased class, anyway).
Perfect answer. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.