FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Mini-moon ideas? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1625046-mini-moon-ideas.html)

clarkeysntfc Oct 31, 2014 10:33 am

Mini-moon ideas?

Hi All - I'm looking for a few pointers/bit of guidance from you knowledgable folk :)

We're getting married on 24th May and are looking at having a short break (known as a mini-moon), right after before our main honeymoon to Canada in the summer.

- It's a max of 5-6 nights as my OH is a school teacher.
- We don't want to go long-haul.
- Budget (flight + accom) is ideally about £800-£1,000 for 2 people.
- European cities we've been to are: Dublin, Rome, Stockholm, Tallinn, Berlin. Quite happy to stay in the UK too.
- We're (very) late 20's and neither of us are huge "romantics"

If there are any destinations you can recommend that'd be brilliant!

Cheers in advance :)

Sixth Freedom Oct 31, 2014 10:41 am

I would consider going to York or Edinburgh.

Herman ze German Oct 31, 2014 10:42 am

According to the Videos I'm currently bombarded with on YouTube the most romantic thing you can do at the minute is to go to a Mouse-themed amusement park near Paris.
However I would consider Budapest as well. Beautiful city and not too expensive

dnajockey Oct 31, 2014 10:44 am

Budapest and despite you not being romantic, Venice.

Polomarc Oct 31, 2014 10:52 am

Congrats

Agree York is very nice.

Genoa is nice and then go to one of the towns in Liguria.

Do you want to do a city break or beach or?

TH310 Oct 31, 2014 11:10 am

Istanbul, Touramino(Sicily), Algarve (Portugal), Barcelona

tomdelay Oct 31, 2014 11:43 am

I would say that venice will probably be a little overpriced, and 5-6 days is too long so you might want to consider combining it with another city. Perhaps Florence?

Given the choice I would pick istanbul without hesitation. It is a wonderful city, and 5-6 days is perfect to explore it. It's not too far (4 hours) but feels like a totally differenr world.

travellight Oct 31, 2014 11:55 am

Jersey or Gibraltar? Monaco?

pinniped Oct 31, 2014 1:34 pm

Cinque Terre. Maybe 3 nights there plus 1-2 in Florence. Lots of B&B/boutique options at varying price points: we booked a nice spot in Vernazza for under 100 euros/nt during the summer. Three full days is probably enough to explore the area. I believe it's fairly easy to do from Florence without a rental car, which is a bonus. (The towns themselves are connected by train - it's actually an advantage to be without car.)

SMFlagg Oct 31, 2014 3:04 pm

Vienna would be on my list. And I know you said you wouldn't want to go longhaul, but with other suggestions like Istanbul, what about heading west to Newfoundland?

You mentioned Canada for your honeymoon - Canada's huge. If you are doing the cities, then the parks and reserves near St. John's in Newfoundland might be a perfect alternative. By late May it will be very nice there, and if you two are outdoorsy people, it would be a great spot. Spectacular camping which would keep accommodation costs down. Don't know if you both are into that sort of thing.

5:30 flight time, nonstop from LHR on AC.

BearX220 Oct 31, 2014 3:49 pm

Oslo is beautiful in late spring, long bright evenings, great romantic walking city, and only a couple of hours away. With an air / hotel package you could swing it as long as you're not big session drinkers. :)

dubbin Oct 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Mini-moon ideas?

What has this to do with BA Executive Club?

Jinxy Oct 31, 2014 10:22 pm

Mini-moon ideas?

Nice is fantastic. A night in Monte Carlo, St Tropez, Cannes etc and also cross over to Ventimiglia in Italy on a Friday for a brilliant market on the beach. Prices are good that time of year for that area.

Greek Islands also very cheap in May especially Crete and Mykonos.

sky-rat Nov 2, 2014 12:15 pm

OT and OK

Originally Posted by dubbin (Post 23771728)
What has this to do with BA Executive Club?

Experienced travellers, all-- sharing wisdom with those less travelled. This board usually has a high tolerance for OT, and this less OT than some.

And +1 for Vienna, though if Mrs. Rat and I were re-mooning (if that's the term) on similar constraints, we'd likely fly into Lisbon and out of Porto, or something similar.

bjywong Nov 2, 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 23770522)
Cinque Terre. Maybe 3 nights there plus 1-2 in Florence. Lots of B&B/boutique options at varying price points: we booked a nice spot in Vernazza for under 100 euros/nt during the summer. Three full days is probably enough to explore the area. I believe it's fairly easy to do from Florence without a rental car, which is a bonus. (The towns themselves are connected by train - it's actually an advantage to be without car.)

+1 for Cinque Terre