Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Frequent Flier Award Redemption Pet Peeves? The 2014 Edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 26, 14, 10:47 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jspira
Wiki Link
The 2014 Frequent Flyer Award Redemption Pet Peeves Poll is now underway.

This poll focuses on which aspects of the award redemption process bother the frequent flyer the most.

Please take the poll here and join the discussion in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 24, 14, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please click here for the article and poll results. <--The link to the poll results will be added here when it is available.

Inaccurate award calendars. All sorts of assorted fees. Redemption rates which are significantly higher than you expected to pay. Fuel surcharges which seem to be more expensive than a revenue ticket. Dates not available for which you can redeem your hard-earned frequent flier loyalty program miles — and this is after you struggled with the poor search functionality trying to find that perfect award flight to the destination of your choice.

These are just some of the issues pertaining to trying to book an award ticket which is enough to drive — or, more accurately, fly — you insane.

FlyerTalk — the largest Internet travel community in the world with a rich base of travel knowledge — has once again collaborated with Frequent Business Traveler magazine on the latest in a series of polls pertaining to “pet peeves” of air travel, restaurants, hotels and technology. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the poll; FlyerTalk members — yes, you in particular — will provide the opinions.

This poll is the 2014 Frequent Flier Award Redemption Pet Peeves Poll, which will be active through November 30, 2014. Millions of frequent flier loyalty program miles are redeemed by FlyerTalk members every year — and not all are redeemed without issues, restrictions, impediments or other annoyances which stand in the way between you and that dream trip to which you were looking so forward.

The primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you to opine, elaborate on your thoughts and relate your experiences as a member of one or more frequent flier loyalty programs.

Results of this poll will be announced both on-line in the magazine and here on FlyerTalk. Here are the results of similar polls from 2013 and 2012 for reference.

So — what are your “pet peeves”? Please vote today and let everyone know!
Old Oct 25, 14, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
no one-way award tkts for many airlines
Old Oct 25, 14, 4:18 pm

Very poorly designed survey. Requires on to rank each "peeve". However, some of the things listed are simply non-issues to me. I've never booked a multiple party award, and never will.

And there are plenty of other complaints I have about award redemption. I can't stand airlines' efforts to get miles redeemed on things other than travel, for example. Stop wasting your money on glossy catalogs and lower the mile requirements for seats!
Old Oct 25, 14, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by privacylawyer View Post
I second that, +1.
Old Oct 25, 14, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Indelaware View Post
... I can't stand airlines' efforts to get miles redeemed on things other than travel, for example. Stop wasting your money on glossy catalogs and lower the mile requirements for seats!
I think the airlines are in a box of their own making: from an accounting standpoint they desperately want to reduce the number of outstanding redeemable miles, but every X thousand miles redeemed for a seat is a hit to potential revenue ... therefore the push for program members to redeem for other than flights
Old Oct 25, 14, 8:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Explorist, BA Bronze, BW Diamond Elite
Fuel Surcharges!
Old Oct 25, 14, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Fuel surcharges. I can live with just about anything else.
Old Oct 25, 14, 11:12 pm

Poll doesn't work for me. When I click submit, it says there is an error and something about "the question is required."
Old Oct 26, 14, 1:17 am

Scamcharges. Airlines think they're the government with all these "hidden" fees.
Old Oct 26, 14, 1:32 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Indelaware View Post

And there are plenty of other complaints I have about award redemption. I can't stand airlines' efforts to get miles redeemed on things other than travel, for example. Stop wasting your money on glossy catalogs and lower the mile requirements for seats!
I second that notion!
Old Oct 26, 14, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned brick walls of unavailability for saver awards on airlines like Delta. For a number of years running I've had to manually construct some really kludgey itineraries to strategically use stopovers or open jaws to try to come up with something to Asia because the calendar may be showing months worth of yellows.
Old Oct 26, 14, 6:18 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned brick walls of unavailability for saver awards on airlines like Delta. For a number of years running I've had to manually construct some really kludgey itineraries to strategically use stopovers or open jaws to try to come up with something to Asia because the calendar may be showing months worth of yellows.
Which are the airlines "like Delta"? In my experience Delta holds a category all by itself in this respect, with the mythical saver award availability. At least starting in 2015 you'll be able to book one ways, so that if a seat ever does become available in one direction you can book it, and not need to find the hopeless combination of seats available each way.
Old Oct 26, 14, 9:09 am

Programs: United GS, AA, SWA, Delta
One-way rewards

Originally Posted by privacylawyer View Post
United lets you book one way. I use it to book my Grandkids every Summer. I know you said many, I'm just saying.
Old Oct 26, 14, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
DL: ex-Europe fuel surcharges.
Old Oct 26, 14, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
DL: ex-Europe fuel surcharges.
Are you sure that's not APD? Those can get pretty hefty (LHR being the worst, IIRC), and the airline has no control over that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: