Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Old Jul 12, 17, 11:09 am
  #406  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 5,334
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
All airlines have their customer-of-size (COS) policy on their web sites. AFAIK, they all require the COS to move, not the passenger who is seated next to them.
Except that based on the posts here the crews seem to be ignoring that policy and putting the onus on the non-POS to tolerate the encroachment, move to a lesser seat or even take a later flight. It's not hard understand why crews take the path least resistance but what is striking is the apparent number of people who just go along simply because they want to be "polite."
strickerj likes this.
Badenoch is offline  
Old Jul 12, 17, 12:09 pm
  #407  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 6,598
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
It's not hard understand why crews take the path least resistance
Exactly, especially since most cases are not clear-cut. The COS is large but is he too large? Human nature is such that people will avoid confronting someone in what would be an embarrassing situation like that.

That's why I think it is important, as a passenger, to know the airline's policy in case you are affected by it.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Jul 12, 17, 1:19 pm
  #408  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newport Beach, California, USA
Posts: 36,062
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Exactly, especially since most cases are not clear-cut. The COS is large but is he too large?
I respectfully disagree. If the other pax is taking up space on my seat, they are too large. I have nothing against overweight people and, aside from a general concern for the medical well-being, their size counts neither for nor against them as far as I'm concerned. However, I have absolutely no intention of sharing my seating space with a stranger. I paid for an entire seat and I expect to get an entire seat.


Originally Posted by badenoch
It's not hard understand why crews take the path least resistance but what is striking is the apparent number of people who just go along simply because they want to be "polite."
I'm always polite. However, I see no problem whatsoever in telling an FA, "Unfortunately, the person seated next to me requires more than a single seat and he/she is sitting in part of mine. If they can't sit there without taking my space, they are going to have to be moved."

And I'm perfectly willing to say that in front of the overweight passenger. This is not "fat shaming" and I would never do that to someone. This is, however, "taking my space without my consent shaming," and not really that different from a seat-poacher. I have a friends and relatives who are very overweight, and they are quite cognizant of the issues entailed in being the size they are. I refuse to believe that a person large enough to require more than space afforded by a single seat has no clue that they will be inconveniencing (to say the least) a stranger if they don't purchase an extra seat or book into F.
muji and Oxnardjan like this.
PTravel is offline  
Old Jul 12, 17, 2:07 pm
  #409  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,290
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
That is difficult to do when each country regulates its airlines separately. Even with ICAO standards, not a single country is 100% ICAO compliant.

I have no specific knowledge of the regulation of non-US airlines. My comments are all with regard to US airlines.
That emphasises my point - DOT regulations will only scratch the surface as they have no effect on most of the world's air travel. ICAO (per your example) would cover a much larger percentage, even if not 100% and would therefore be much more suitable. There may be something even better not mentioned yet.
ft101 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 17, 2:12 pm
  #410  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wonderful Weald of kent
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 985
My tuppence worth is that the person causing the inconvenience is the one who should be inconvenienced themselves.

If someone is encroaching on MY space, I will be sure that I will not be inconvenienced by their size ( I have recurring back problems from having to lean over on a long flight accommodating my seatmates extra inches...) I will politely point out that my personal space is even more compromised than it would normally be by the COS, and I am not risking my own health or comfort to accommodate them!

Incidentally - ever noticed that it's always the squashed party who usually has to lean away from the COS (even into the aisle and getting bashed by the trolleys) and not the COS leaning away from the smaller person?
CarolynUK is offline  
Old Nov 5, 19, 9:44 am
  #411  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Posts: 602
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
I respectfully disagree. If the other pax is taking up space on my seat, they are too large. I have nothing against overweight people and, aside from a general concern for the medical well-being, their size counts neither for nor against them as far as I'm concerned. However, I have absolutely no intention of sharing my seating space with a stranger. I paid for an entire seat and I expect to get an entire seat.


I'm always polite. However, I see no problem whatsoever in telling an FA, "Unfortunately, the person seated next to me requires more than a single seat and he/she is sitting in part of mine. If they can't sit there without taking my space, they are going to have to be moved."

And I'm perfectly willing to say that in front of the overweight passenger. This is not "fat shaming" and I would never do that to someone. This is, however, "taking my space without my consent shaming," and not really that different from a seat-poacher. I have a friends and relatives who are very overweight, and they are quite cognizant of the issues entailed in being the size they are. I refuse to believe that a person large enough to require more than space afforded by a single seat has no clue that they will be inconveniencing (to say the least) a stranger if they don't purchase an extra seat or book into F.
I had this experience (overweight person in window seat spilling over into 20% of my middle seat) last night on a 2.5 hr mainline United flight. I just sat there and suffered, but your post has given me some ideas as to what to do next time. Thanks!
economyplusfan is offline  
Old Nov 7, 19, 12:28 am
  #412  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,456
Originally Posted by CarolynUK View Post
Incidentally - ever noticed that it's always the squashed party who usually has to lean away from the COS (even into the aisle and getting bashed by the trolleys) and not the COS leaning away from the smaller person?
Actually, no. I've had a very large and apologetic passenger spend a flight leaning into the aisle.
ajGoes likes this.
sethb is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:39 am
  #413  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: AS, UA, SK, UR, MR
Posts: 593
If a carryon bag can be measured at the gate to comply with FAA regulations, why can’t a seat be put by the gate or even better at the checkin counter? On small planes, you may need to disclose your weight for passenger distribution.
Marko63 likes this.
vanillabean is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:42 am
  #414  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Atlanta
Programs: Delta
Posts: 7
COS or POS

Took me awhile to realize POS meant Person of Size! No fat shaming but 99% of obesity is the fault of the fat person. Should I endure an uncomfortable and unsafe flight because they made bad choices in diet and exercise?
My policy is never ever change seats unless I get upgraded to First!
In 1992, I was on a Delta flt from FLL to ATL and the wrestler Abdullah the Butcher was in the row in front of me. He is a huge man and with courtesy he booked TWO seats!
Self-awareness of one’s body mass is an easy thing to achieve. When one knows they will not fit into a standard airline coach seat, book two.
Oh not only did I recognize Abdullah, but his boarding pass protruding from his shirt pocket had printed on it:
”Mr. Butcher.”
watersign and chipmaster like this.
Marko63 is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 10:41 am
  #415  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
Posts: 752
Originally Posted by Marko63 View Post
Took me awhile to realize POS meant Person of Size! No fat shaming but 99% of obesity is the fault of the fat person. Should I endure an uncomfortable and unsafe flight because they made bad choices in diet and exercise?
My policy is never ever change seats unless I get upgraded to First!
In 1992, I was on a Delta flt from FLL to ATL and the wrestler Abdullah the Butcher was in the row in front of me. He is a huge man and with courtesy he booked TWO seats!
Self-awareness of one’s body mass is an easy thing to achieve. When one knows they will not fit into a standard airline coach seat, book two.
Oh not only did I recognize Abdullah, but his boarding pass protruding from his shirt pocket had printed on it:
”Mr. Butcher.”
I am sympathetic to everyone's personal DNA liabilities but I'm with you. Everyone owns their own health and make choices. I travel a lot to the far east and there is a difference in body shape, genetics, but for countries that have embraced western diet and habits they seem to be moving quickly to the US norms of POS
chipmaster is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 12:25 pm
  #416  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,378
I have recently deleted several posts. We are now going to give this thread a rest.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
ajGoes likes this.
obscure2k is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread