Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Are there really people who actually agree to leave the flight or accept a lesser seat upon the request of the airline to accommodate a POS? I wouldn't agree to that whatsoever.
I did a couple weeks ago. Sitting in aisle when POS sits in middle causing me to lean to the right. Plane was loaded...I stood up and told the FA I either wanted moved or rebooked. I wasn't going to fly 5 hours like that. FA sent me to GA...GA asked if I really wanted to rebook, I said yep. She found a window E+ seat for me.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
It would be really interesting to know the policy each airline has (and if they have one) for dealing with a situation in which a customer brings to the attention of the FA that they are sat next to a POS who is encroaching on adjacent seats.

​​​​​
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
It would be really interesting to know the policy each airline has (and if they have one) for dealing with a situation in which a customer brings to the attention of the FA that they are sat next to a POS who is encroaching on adjacent seats.
​​​​​
I believe most airlines have a policy and they will force the passenger to buy two (or three) seats if he is morbidly obese.*

Problems usually happen when the underlying condition is not as extreme. These concern an increasing number of people which airlines do not want to alienate. Flyers have been consistently pushing for lower fares in exchange for less space (and service) on board for years. At the same time, most POS (still) think it's the airline's duty to provide an economy seat they can fit in. This is a politically charged topic the airlines would rather avoid, so they push the problem onto the adjacent passengers and take action only when they complain about it.

The one time I complained about this, the flight was full and the other passenger had to be offloaded. I did not even sit down before he was out of that middle seat. Although this is not representative and YMMV, I do think it is critical that people stand their ground in the face of encroaching POS.

*The definition of morbidly obese is certainly subjective and varies wildly from one side of the Atlantic to the other. When I say morbidly obese, this is what I have in mind.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by rob0225
I did a couple weeks ago. Sitting in aisle when POS sits in middle causing me to lean to the right. Plane was loaded...I stood up and told the FA I either wanted moved or rebooked. I wasn't going to fly 5 hours like that. FA sent me to GA...GA asked if I really wanted to rebook, I said yep. She found a window E+ seat for me.
Unless your seat was on the same flight that's an inadequate solution. You accommodated both the POS and the airline. It's the POS the airline should move as he/she is the one making your seat uninhabitable.

Originally Posted by mmff
The one time I complained about this, the flight was full and the other passenger had to be offloaded. I did not even sit down before he was out of that middle seat. Although this is not representative and YMMV, I do think it is critical that people stand their ground in the face of encroaching POS.
This is what should happen. If you can fit into a seat and the person beside you cannot they are the one that should be required to leave the aircraft not you.

Should I be faced with this situation my intention is not to go voluntarily, agreeably or quietly.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
All airlines have their customer-of-size (COS) policy on their web sites. AFAIK, they all require the COS to move, not the passenger who is seated next to them.

If the F/A or agent is not taking action to resolve the problem then request to speak to the Complaint Resolution Officer (CRO). The CRO is required to be available by DOT regulations and is specially trained in issues involving disabilities and accommodations.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The CRO is required to be available by DOT regulations and is specially trained in issues involving disabilities and accommodations.
DOT regulations don't cover most flyers/flights. A global airline led policy might be a good thing, but I can't see that happening either.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
DOT regulations don't cover most flyers/flights.
DOT regulations require access to a CRO for all flights by US airlines.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by mmff

*The definition of morbidly obese is certainly subjective
While I get what you mean by way of your photo description, the term is really objectively defined, though it is determined by BMI, which isn't always visually obvious (i.e. a person with a BMI of 33 might look fit and muscular, but still be "obese"; in fact, many Olympic and pro athletes are "overweight", if not "obese").

In the US and the UK, the CDC and NHS define "obese" as having a BMI of 30-39, so that means a person who is 5'6" would be obese at 185 lb or more, and a 6' person would be obese at 220 lb or more. The number for being "severely [morbidly] obese" is having a BMI of over 40 or being 100+ lb overweight. That means a 5'6" would be morbidly obese weighing 250 lb or more, and for a 6' person it would be 285 lb or more.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
While I get what you mean by way of your photo description, the term is really objectively defined, though it is determined by BMI, which isn't always visually obvious (i.e. a person with a BMI of 33 might look fit and muscular, but still be "obese"; in fact, many Olympic and pro athletes are "overweight", if not "obese").

In the US and the UK, the CDC and NHS define "obese" as having a BMI of 30-39, so that means a person who is 5'6" would be obese at 185 lb or more, and a 6' person would be obese at 220 lb or more. The number for being "severely [morbidly] obese" is having a BMI of over 40 or being 100+ lb overweight. That means a 5'6" would be morbidly obese weighing 250 lb or more, and for a 6' person it would be 285 lb or more.
It is not at all unusual for a man of 6 feet to weigh 220, or even 285. By that standard Donald Trump is morbidly obese, or close to it.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
It is not at all unusual for a man of 6 feet to weigh 220, or even 285. By that standard Donald Trump is morbidly obese, or close to it.
I know! I think it's pretty surprising to see the actual definitions.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
DOT regulations require access to a CRO for all flights by US airlines.
Yes, but a global solution would be of much more use than a DOT regulation.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
I thought he was 6'2 and 200 lbs? Not obese. But with his diet might be more.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
Yes, but a global solution would be of much more use than a DOT regulation.
That is difficult to do when each country regulates its airlines separately. Even with ICAO standards, not a single country is 100% ICAO compliant.

I have no specific knowledge of the regulation of non-US airlines. My comments are all with regard to US airlines.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by erik123
I thought he was 6'2 and 200 lbs? Not obese. But with his diet might be more.
Last year, Dr. Oz weighed him in at just over 235, if I recall......that puts him into the "obese" category, even if he hasn't gained since then (and if I was in his place, I'd certainly be stress-eating. Even looking at photos, he looks like he's gained.)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:25 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: We're veering off into Omni territory. It's unlikely that any of us will be seated next to Donald Trump as a COS. Please stay on topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.