Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Should Kids Be Banned From Business Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Poster

This is a topic that comes up from time to time, and I was compelled to bring it up again after a disastrous two-leg journey on Asiana Airlines, featuring screaming kids aboard both flights and in both business class lounges.

When you’re flying in long-haul first or business class, you aren’t merely paying for transportation. You are paying for comfort. For luxury, even. This is premium class, not economy class.

And unlike a very high percentage of the people who travel up front, I was not flying on company expense or cashing in frequent-flyer miles. I paid out of pocket for my ticket. I did this precisely to be as comfortable and pampered as possible. This is not something I normally can afford, and my expectations were high — as they should have been. And the experience was wrecked at every turn by the behavior of other passengers. Of course this was no direct fault of those passengers, who as young children can’t be held accountable, but that doesn’t exactly matter.

The full story is here on my blog page....

http://www.askthepilot.com/kids-in-business-class/
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC malaysian airlines is first/only to ban infants in some first and economy areas

Originally Posted by GateHold
This is a topic that comes up from time to time
one of the most popular topics on FT, there must be hundreds of threads

as comfortable and pampered as possible
compared to economy (without buying-out cabins, chartering, etc)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 25, 2014 at 9:50 am
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
This is a topic that comes up from time to time, and I was compelled to bring it up again after a disastrous two-leg journey on Asiana Airlines, featuring screaming kids aboard both flights and in both business class lounges.

When you’re flying in long-haul first or business class, you aren’t merely paying for transportation. You are paying for comfort. For luxury, even. This is premium class, not economy class.

And unlike a very high percentage of the people who travel up front, I was not flying on company expense or cashing in frequent-flyer miles. I paid out of pocket for my ticket. I did this precisely to be as comfortable and pampered as possible. This is not something I normally can afford, and my expectations were high — as they should have been. And the experience was wrecked at every turn by the behavior of other passengers. Of course this was no direct fault of those passengers, who as young children can’t be held accountable, but that doesn’t exactly matter.

Yawn. Again???
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

"one of the most popular topics on FT, there must be hundreds of threads"

True with always the same responses some against children in business/1st class some for it.

So these post just become letting off frustration, hope the OP feels better, but nothing will change
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
In a word "No".

While it's true that flying J or F, is basically paying for better service, comfort & food. Control over the passengers can hardly be an airline's responsibility. In a free market environment, those who can afford it will get the same options as any others.

I'm no stranger to screaming babies in J. But on a ultra long haul flight, that's what the airline provided noise cancelling headphones are for.

Only problem I have is with parents who do not even bother trying to comfort or stop their 5+ year old kids from making a din.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mike2200
"one of the most popular topics on FT, there must be hundreds of threads"

True with always the same responses some against children in business/1st class some for it.

So these post just become letting off frustration, hope the OP feels better, but nothing will change
Im sure the OP gets what he wants, self Promotion of his blog.

Not sure what else he would want, as it is covered at length already.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Kids are not different from any other passenger on the flight - there are some that behave well, there are some that do not.

If you ban the kids, can we also ban everyone that drinks too much, talks too loud , *insert your latest annoyance*?

It is public transportation... get proper headphones and you won't be bothered that much.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Venabili
public transportation
or ' transportation open to public '

very different from accommodations (hotels etc) on the ground
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

No, your single bad experience does not mean that your money that you paid to buy your ticket is worth more than someone else's just because they have kids. Everyone has bad experiences in flight from time to time because of someone else. I had a $h!tty flight attendant last week. Should we ban them from flights? Shall we add drunks, snorers, the obese, people who fidget, recliners and people who use the overhead lights at night to the list?

No. If you want a perfect experience then book a private jet.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
My daughter, who will be just 2, and I will be flying in first to Costa Rica next spring. I will bring a whole backpacks of quiet toys to help keep her occupied on the 8 hour flight. But it is entirely possible that, despite my best efforts, she will get loud. Believe me, you'd be able to hear her in row one from row 185 if she really decides to melt down. I will do all I can to prevent that but it might happen. I'd rather deal with a screaming kid than a drunk adult
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: AC *E, SPG Plat, Hertz

If one can buy a ticket or redeem points for their kid to sit in biz, then they're entitled to be there.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:50 am

They should just ban kids from travelling.......
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC *P

No, and actually the snorer is a good example. That can be more annoying than a baby or kid.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
No!!!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
I'm in the "yes" camp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.