Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you tip housekeeping for turndown?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Surveys show 30% or fewer guests tip housekeeping.
Really i don't see the point in tipping unless there was exceptional service provided or is expected like restaurants. I don't get tipped for doing my job normally either and nor would I expect to.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I will sometimes tip for turndown service when I am staying at a resort type property. Many times on resort vacations I come back in the early afternoon and take a nap and get ready for the evening, which includes a shower. I appreciate coming back after an evening out where the bed is made, shower is clean, fresh towels are left out, drapes are drawn, etc.

When traveling for business I generally don't make it back to the hotel prior to turn down, so the only thing the housekeeper is doing is drawing the drapes, folding down the sheets and dropping a chocolate on the pillow. If that is all they are doing, then that doesn't deserve a tip IMHO.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
Really i don't see the point in tipping unless there was exceptional service provided or is expected like restaurants. I don't get tipped for doing my job normally either and nor would I expect to.
You're in Australia earning a decent wage I assume therefore you don't need tips. When you come from Vietnam or Thailand where you are working your rear end off possibly 7 days a week to support your extended family on $200 a month, you need any little extra you can.

(Yes I know cost of living in those countries is less).
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
You're in Australia earning a decent wage I assume therefore you don't need tips.
Perhaps I do now but there was a point in time when I was barely scraping by and still, worked in a customer service industry where tips didn't happen. As a student with a gigantic loan, I know what it's like to be counting pennies.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Milage Plan
Tipping is getting out of control. I have even seen tip jars at gas stations before. It is not the traveling public's responsibility to supplement workers incomes. I have only tipped housekeeping a couple times. Once when they went beyond what was expected out of them to help me. The other time was when I was young and dumb and pretty much left the aftermath of a party for housekeeping to clean up. I left a huge tip then
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
I always tip housekeeping! I believe sharing with others what I have been freely given by my higher power works for me.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:41 pm

Turndown service is utterly pointless, and I don't let housekeeping into my room when I stay at a hotel, so, no, I don't tip.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Milage Plan
Originally Posted by brendog
Turndown service is utterly pointless, and I don't let housekeeping into my room when I stay at a hotel, so, no, I don't tip.
I agree, I keep the do not disturb sign on the door for my whole visit usually. I am not a messy person. I once was in a hotel room and taking a shower and when I stepped out of the bathroom housekeeping was making the bed.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:20 am

It all depends on where I am and what extra services I'm asking for. Also if the person is very kind to me and generous, I will tip.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by brendog
It was most definitely not pointless at the St Regis. Without turndown I would not of had my 'his and hers' slippers set out so neatly at the side of my bed. I particularly loved mine with the little bow! lol
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:07 am

It was most definitely not pointless at the St Regis. Without turndown I would not of had my 'his and hers' slippers set out so neatly at the side of my bed. I particularly loved mine with the little bow! lol
This is true but I'm not seeing how this service isn't adequately covered by the hundreds of dollars one spends on the room itself without having to fork over a tip.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:38 am

Hold on, if I let housekeeping in the room to fiddle with my bed, I get slippers with bows???

I've apparently been going about this wrong all along.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Our prisons are full of people who felt like they deserved more.

Do you really know how many hours a maid works, and how hard it is.

Your wife works far more hours, harder, and still takes care of the dog and your kids..and then cook the meals. Many of them have a full time job.

Save your tip for your wife..

Charity begins at home.

Welcome to the real world.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by satman40
Our prisons are full of people who felt like they deserved more.

Do you really know how many hours a maid works, and how hard it is.

Your wife works far more hours, harder, and still takes care of the dog and your kids..and then cook the meals. Many of them have a full time job.

Save your tip for your wife..

Charity begins at home.

Welcome to the real world.
Speaking as a (more or less) traditional housewife:

I cook. I don't clean. We have housekeepers for the cleaning, thank goodness. I do a lot every day, true. So does he. And everything we have belongs to both of us. If my husband ever thought about "tipping" me, I would find it rather demeaning.

Tip hotel housekeepers if you are so inclined. "Tipping" your wife and/or referring to her as "charity" may not be what you meant to say, or how you meant to say it . . .
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
You're in Australia earning a decent wage I assume therefore you don't need tips. When you come from Vietnam or Thailand where you are working your rear end off possibly 7 days a week to support your extended family on $200 a month, you need any little extra you can.

(Yes I know cost of living in those countries is less).
Actually neither Vietnam nor Thailand has a tipping culture. While workers in the service industry aren't living in luxury, they make enough to support themselves as well as being able to send some money home to their parents.

On the other hand, the US has a tipping culture and in particular restaurant waitresses often aren't making even enough to support themselves. Many have multiple jobs meaning having to work in the weekends just to survive.

I blame it on the tipping culture, which gives owners an excuse to pay peanuts and expect workers to get their fair wage from tips which is not a reliable income especially during economic downturns when fewer people eat out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.