Reload this Page >

Do you tip housekeeping for turndown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred

I leave a tip in the form of hanging the do not disturb sign so they don't have to clean the room and can take a break.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
I don't tip housekeeping for anything.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I generally leave a $ 5 each day, but also clean my room somewhat (towels in a single pile on the bathroom floor, used soap/shampoo bottles put in trash, coffee maker cleaned and cups/coffee pods placed in trash, etc.).
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National, Hilton
I don't tip housekeeping unless I (or the family) happen to make an above average mess. Turndown service makes absolutely no sense so I certainly wouldn't tip for it.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Member

In the U.S. and Mexico, I tip Housekeeping in the morning. Not usually in Europe. Do not tip at turndown.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
Neither.
This
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Member

I appreciate turndown service when it supplies ice and fresh towels, especially at seaside or lakeside establishments.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by LondonElite
None of the above. Tipping is completely out of control.
Really I couldn't agree more. With that said I'm now retired & drive a car rental shuttle part time to & from the airport. I help the customers as needed & friendly. If some one is so inclined it's appreciated but if you don't (and lots don't) I get it.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Really I couldn't agree more. With that said I'm now retired & drive a car rental shuttle part time to & from the airport. I help the customers as needed & friendly. If some one is so inclined it's appreciated but if you don't (and lots don't) I get it.
If you're based at CLT, we may have met!

Back on topic, I can't go tipping everyone who looks at me, so I will only tip when someone really goes out of their way. I love going to Japan for the approach to tipping alone!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I don't tip housekeeping.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

to clarify, OP is talking about leaving money out in the room possibly two times a day instead of 'just' one time a day?

i find it interesting it seems UK has been more responsible for exporting tipping than US because of more frequent and more varied international travel

i definitely agree with all prior posts/threads on tipping - it has GOTTEN completely out of control (good idea originally)
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smith80678
I leave a tip in the form of hanging the do not disturb sign so they don't have to clean the room and can take a break.
+1

^^
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 pm

I certainly agree that tipping is out of control in the US, and I am generally not one to give tips in every possible situation, but I do tip the maid (in the morning, but I rarely stay in turndown service hotels).

Cleaning hotel rooms has to be the worst job in the hotel, and for near minimum wage. The work can be tiring, dirty and, often, gross. A few dollars can go a long way on their salary.

I am much happier to tip the maid a few dollars, as opposed to the doorman, bellhop, room service, etc. Those guys provide a service that is of little or no value to me.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Surveys show 30% or fewer guests tip housekeeping.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:00 am

-del-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.