Easily confused airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easily confused airports?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, HiltonH, AA Advantage
Naples AFP Fl and Naples It NAP. Nearly caught out once!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:53 am

Frankfurt...

This summer after 20 days driving through Germany, I was returning the rental car in Frankfurt Main with just enought time to catch my plane when I discovered it was Frankfort Mannheim...

Frankfurt Mannheim is not Frankfurt Main...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
SLC Salt Lake City
SCL Santiago de Chile
-> easy to mix the codes!

and
DKR Dakar, Senegal
DAC Dhaka, Bangladesh
-> easy to mix due to pronounciation, esp. if you book flight over the phone on TK and EK (who serve both airports, I guess)

Last edited by warakorn; Sep 17, 2014 at 8:42 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cometintintin
This summer after 20 days driving through Germany, I was returning the rental car in Frankfurt Main with just enought time to catch my plane when I discovered it was Frankfort Mannheim...

Frankfurt Mannheim is not Frankfurt Main...
In terms of fulfilling the "2 cities with the same name" Frankfurt (main) und Frankfurt (oder) comes close, although you're technically flying FRA-BER, if you google Frankfurt (oder) Airport you'll get lots of hits.

Or, if you revert to the old name you can certainly fly between Amsterdam and New Amsterdam nonstop.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:10 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For reference, here's a related thread from 2012:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rong-city.html

/Moderator.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Fayetteville, Arkansas (goes as such with some airline schedules instead of its official Northwest Arkansas Regional) and Fayetteville, North Carolina could be pretty easily confused.

Wichita Falls, Texas and Wichita, Kansas.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by moondog
That's a strange screw-up; neither the (Romanized) city name nor the airport code has an L or an O in it.

ETA: It just occurred to me that the proper name for CGQ is Longjia because this is the small town near Changchun where the airport actually is. It is actually common to name Chinese airports in this fashion just like Western countries tend to name airports after dead people. But, in both cases, people generally don't (I want to say never) enter official airport names into web forms when their goal is to actually travel to city X; its city name or IATA code... that's all the predictive text programming people need to think about.
You spotted it I would say more generally if you're going to be one of the world's largest airlines and exclusively fly out of a city referred to as LON then you might as well make sure people who type in LON get the city you fly from.

Sadly, my expectations of user interface design are way ahead of my local carrier. I've been whining about this to them for two years at least and gotten nowhere.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum
I once caught a baggage person tagging my bag to MEL instead of MLB. (Melbourne, Australia vs. Melbourne, FL)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by milepig
EWR DOES mean New York - just the city, not the state. EWR serves NYC.
Maybe a instead of would have sufficed to show I was aiming merely for a laugh and not any actual statement of fact one way or another.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by milepig
EWR DOES mean New York - just the city, not the state. EWR serves NYC.
Before CO took over People Express, Newark Airport made no pretenses about being "New York". In the 80s, we all thought of it as "New Jersey".
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:12 pm

i was trying to get to YinChuan (INC) and almost told my travel agent to send me to InCheon (ICN)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by 6P&E
NAS is not Nashville. Before the days of computers when baggage tags were done manually, Nashville-bound passengers' luggage sometimes ended up in Nassau.
Many years ago I was at Burbank (BUR) picking up my luggage; as the last off the plane + a restroom break I was greeted with a mostly empty carousel after pulling my bag. Out of curiosity I inspected the remaining bags going 'round and 'round and noted that one was tagged with 'BUF' .

We'd flown out of JFK, so it wasn't the most unreasonable thing (it took me a few glances to note that it said 'BUF' not 'BUR'), but someone was going to have a bad day in Buffalo...
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Originally Posted by dkc71
I once caught a baggage person tagging my bag to MEL instead of MLB. (Melbourne, Australia vs. Melbourne, FL)
Doesn't your bag tag print out according to your ticket info/boarding pass? Were you ticketed to the wrong destniation?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fragola
Doesn't your bag tag print out according to your ticket info/boarding pass? Were you ticketed to the wrong destniation?
One can almost safely make this assumption IF the baggage tag was generated by a computer. This was not the way things worked when I was a kid, and still isn't at some airports in remote places.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Years ago, when baggage tags were often hand-written, I arrived (on Braniff) at Panama City, Panama (as was intended) - my luggage landed at Panama City, Florida. Took three days to reunite me with my clothes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.