Search

Reclining vs. Non-Reclining Sections?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:18 am

-----

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lg10
Since I actually suggested Left for RECLINERS, then yes any imagined hostility about deplaning was incidental and more in the mind of the beholder. I also gave a rationale for why the front vs. the back (fairness to people in transition rows).

Ignoring the hostility of the middle seats suggestion, I would gladly pay the guy in front of me $50 not to recline for the whole flight.
You're right, I misread your original post. Sorry.

In the meantime, have you tried the $50 thing on a flight? Seems to me that a lot of people who are flying coach to save money would be happy to accept.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You're right, I misread your original post. Sorry.

In the meantime, have you tried the $50 thing on a flight? Seems to me that a lot of people who are flying coach to save money would be happy to accept.
No, I never have - do you think it would work in real time? Do you think $20 would be enough? Would you offer before the flight starts, or when the person starts to recline? How do I know he won't take the $$ and recline, or how does he know, I won't stiff him on the $$ if he doesn't recline? (I wouldn't, but I mean, in general.)

Has anyone tried this?

BTW to the other poster about "public good" - I'm not "deciding" that something I like is a public good - it's clear that the lack of someone reclining into your row - is a measurable positive (people pay for it in various ways, when possible). So therefore - when I don't recline, I am giving (or at any rate, not taking) a good to/from someone else. If someone reclines while the person in front of him/her does not, then s/he gets effectively "extra" space in the "commons" of Coach Minus.

(This is the "good" that I said I'd pay $50 for.)

To my way of thinking, when someone reclines into my row, they are doing the equivalent of taking that $50 (?) of value, leaving me only the opportunity to take it in turn from the person behind me, which seems distasteful.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:24 am

Basically Airlines have accept that we have reached the end of the line now with reducing space in economy. I try not to recline but now days I am too Short for these seats so sitting upright cases me as much pain as Long leg's behind me.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL GE
If you find someone to take $50 to not recline on a flight, I think that would be pretty amazing. I know I wouldn't take $.

Hey, maybe though this could be the start of something. How about if only middle seats couldn't recline? They are usually pretty crappy seats anyways, and I never sit in them, wouldn't concern me any if they couldn't recline. Win win for everyone!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat., UA Plat., HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I disagree with this whole premise.

This thread makes it seem like people are roughly 50-50 split between recliners and non-recliners. It has been my experience that the significant majority of coach travelers don't care if the seat in front is reclined. I would say that the only exception is during meal service.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
When the news outlets have done polls after the big stories, it's been about evenly split from what I can tell, or at most 60-40 in any one direction.
The SFGate web site allows comments on all articles. Comments run at least 10 to 1 in favor of reclining.

No, I never have - do you think it would work in real time? Do you think $20 would be enough? Would you offer before the flight starts, or when the person starts to recline? How do I know he won't take the $$ and recline, or how does he know, I won't stiff him on the $$ if he doesn't recline? (I wouldn't, but I mean, in general.)
I thought about that. Seems to me you would make the deal with the guy in front, call over the FA, tell her the deal and have her hold the cash. That way he couldn't take the money and recline anyway and you couldn't stiff him afterward. Of course that assumes the FA would go along with being the referee. However, given that it might help keep the peace, they could.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:18 pm

-----

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by cafeandres
It's the seats in front of the exit row that don't recline. That's to keep the exit row clear if people have to escape through it.

The only exit row seats that don't recline are those on flights with double exit rows, one behind the other. In that case, the front exit row doesn't recline so as not to block the back exit row during an emergency.
Spot on correct. Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can be good to book that rear exit row, where row in front doesnt recline
or bulkhead when bulkhead has storage spaces
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:26 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by pinniped
If I founded an airline, it'd be no-reclining in any kind of Economy Minus seat. I'd just have the seats configured so they don't recline.

Before anyone suggests "that would never work", remember that the most successful airline in the U.S. right now is Spirit. I swear I'll never set foot on Spirit for any reason whatsoever, but clearly lots of people are choosing them every single day.
This is a good question. Why do no-recliners not flight Spirit?
Because It's inconvenient? But it's ok to inconvenient others who want to recline?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moeve
Basically Airlines have accept that we have reached the end of the line now with reducing space in economy. I try not to recline but now days I am too Short for these seats so sitting upright cases me as much pain as Long leg's behind me.
You might think so but I wouldn't bet on it. I saw a TV segment on a new type of seat which is more or less standing up.

If an airline says that they are going to test these seats and drop fares by 20% then they will sell out the flight.

Remember, all these cramped seats, reduced pitch, no meals, etc. were a direct result of passengers voting with their wallets that they would rather be hungry and cramped if it means they can save money.

If these cramped flights were empty the airlines would change. But as long as the passengers vote with their wallets they way they do, things will continue to move toward less space.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by HMO
Because It's inconvenient? But it's ok to inconvenient others who want to recline?
So, no - the whole thread was about, "how about different sections so we can leave each other alone"....
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by HMO
It is a very good question but don't expect an answer. The objective of the Straight Seat Stormtroopers is to impose their will on the rest of us while insisting is if for the "public good."
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by HMO
Because Spirit doesn't fly out of their home airport? Because Spirit doesn't fly to the places they want to go?

Remember, just because an airline exists doesn't mean that everyone is free to choose it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.