Wiki Posts
Search

Weird/Odd things you buy when travelling

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Weird/Odd things you buy when travelling

I love going into grocery stores and pharmacies when travelling. There are a few things that I always look for and tend to buy:
  • Weird toothpaste flavours. I found green tea toothpaste in Thailand - loved it!
  • Things that strike my fancy as different. I love the menthol kleenex from Germany
  • Different gum flavours
  • Different ingredients for cooking

What do you find/buy when you travel
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:20 pm

Nothing exciting, shot glasses and I like to see in the supermarket what they sell and if its cheaper than back home
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:05 pm

I've used green tea toothpaste in China.

Crest has a "spearmint zest" flavor in the US that comes close, believe it or not.

I've also enjoyed aloe vera yogurt in Singapore and, alas, have not found a suitable domestic equivalent.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Redhead
I love going into grocery stores and pharmacies when travelling. There are a few things that I always look for and tend to buy.
And here I thought I was the only one who enjoyed visiting foreign grocery stores.

Some of the items I saw in an Indonesian grocery several months ago included Salmon Teriyaki and "Non Seaweed"? flavors of Lays Potato Chips, a bag of Happytos corn tortilla chips, and a canned drink labeled Pocari Sweat. I'm assuming that last was some sort of fluid replacement drink along the lines of Gatorade, but the name would certainly be off-putting to most Americans.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:34 pm

Refrigerator magnets
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: HH Silver
Sunflower seeds when I am in Nevada. For some reason, the brand I like has coupons on them in the convenience stores, that are not available in Washington. Last trip to Vegas I did a convenience store run and came home with about 40 bags of them.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:34 am

I don't consider my list weird or odd but I always look for them.
Tea & coffee (I love discovering flavors I can't get at home)
Scarves (again something not in the local stores)
Various unguents, potions and sundries
Cheese
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by whistler814
Refrigerator magnets
How is that weird / odd? Isn't that a pretty common tourist item?

I buy them too, but didn't consider posting them to this thread.

Or are we weirder than I thought?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Condiments such as hot sauce, mustard and ketchup. I love the mustard in a tube I find in Europe and banana catsup in the Caribbean. Okay the banana catsup was gross but I liked showing off the bottle to people back home. Also coffee and tea if a place is known for it. And I spent 20 in the local currency on candy to take home.

The grocery store is the first stop on my itinerary in any city, domestic or foreign. I like to see what foods people prepare and eat at home in strange places.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by kale73
and a canned drink labeled Pocari Sweat. I'm assuming that last was some sort of fluid replacement drink along the lines of Gatorade, but the name would certainly be off-putting to most Americans.
Actually started in Japan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocari_Sweat

I used it quite a bit (along with Aquarius, the Coke version) when I was in Japan for grad school back in summer of 1996.
Even at the top of Mount Fuji, which you would think would be desolate, there were Coke machines (about $5 for a Coke product back then), as well as Pocari Sweat.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I do candy too.

I buy magnets but don't consider those weird ��
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:45 pm

I like the tomato paste in the tube. I also loved the French soaps from general super markets. And of course chocolate!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Whenever I go to a new city, especially international, I always try to leave a day or two to wander. Like my first time in London years ago, I just got on the tube heading away from the city, and got off at a random stop. I got to see the shops that people who live there actually shop in, the stuff they buy, and always see if I can find something weird.

It's how my nephew came to hate me after I sent him a small jar of Vegemite from Australia!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Fridge magnets as a souvenier. But also interesting sweets, crisps and some other random stuff. Of late I am seriously addicted to apfel gespritz - apple juice mixed with fizzy water - I prefer Austrian versions to German. I also like yogurette chocolate bars.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by kale73
And here I thought I was the only one who enjoyed visiting foreign grocery stores.
If I can only do one thing in a foreign location it's visit a grocery store. You can learn a lot about a place by going to where the locals buy food.

I don't buy anything too unusual unless I am in the UK where I always buy Twiglets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.