Wiki Posts
Search

787 Investigation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
787 Investigation

Al Jazeera investigates quality control issues within the 787 programme. It also asks questions around the FAA's competence and the American government in general:

http://www.aljazeera.com/investigati...7/default.html

An interesting and eye opening piece from what has become one of the world prime news outlets.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Al Jazeera investigates quality control issues within the 787 programme. It also asks questions around the FAA's competence and the American government in general:

http://www.aljazeera.com/investigati...7/default.html

An interesting and eye opening piece from what has become one of the world prime news outlets.
This is interesting, but the teaser clip and website provides such little information it's hard to know the merit of their allegations.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
This is interesting, but the teaser clip and website provides such little information it's hard to know the merit of their allegations.
I'm surprised you did not see the link (which is very prominent) to the whole documentary from the website link I provided. The documentary youtube video is right at the top of the page, and is a 48 minute programme. Please find the direct link below in case this was not obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvkEpstd9os
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:09 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Forbes has reviewed the piece

http://www.forbes.com/sites/airchive...sses-the-mark/
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I'm surprised you did not see the link (which is very prominent) to the whole documentary from the website link I provided. The documentary youtube video is right at the top of the page, and is a 48 minute programme. Please find the direct link below in case this was not obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvkEpstd9os
Just watched it. Confirms my thoughts, never ever going to put a foot on one.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by tireman77
The Forbes article is a pretty fair summation of the AJ expose, IMHO.

I'm avoiding the 787 in the first place because the seating in economy is so cramped with most carriers.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Forbes Article
Indeed what is Boeing’s incentive to deliver an unsafe airplane to consumers? Or an airline’s incentive to take delivery of an aircraft that it thinks or knows is unsafe? In Boeing’s case, the potential liability expenses are massive, let alone the fact that the 787-product line, and Boeing as a company would likely be decimated if the safety issues came to light. The McDonnell Douglas DC-10, and (arguably) McDonnell Douglas itself, were irrevocably harmed by several high profile crashes in the 1970s and 1980s. If the 787 program goes down because of safety problems, then Boeing goes down with it. And on the airline side, the case of Malaysia Airlines after flights 370 and 17 provides ample evidence as to the consequences of accepting an unsafe aircraft. None of this to say that the Boeing 787 is a perfect aircraft (it isn’t), or that the battery problem wasn’t a safety issue (it was). But poor dispatch reliability and an already fixed problem with lithium-ion batteries do not make the 787 unsafe at present.
Complete rubbish paragraph by Forbes there.

What incentive did GM have in making clunkers in the 80s and 90s? Just because there are no long term incentives for companies to release sub-par product doesn't meant companies never do it.

How are MH 370 and MH 17 evidences of the consequence of accepting unsafe aircraft? One is most likely due to deliberate diversion by a suicidal pilot and the other one got caught in the middle of an irredentist war.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by lloydah
Just watched it. Confirms my thoughts, never ever going to put a foot on one.
You're joking, right? One cursory fluff piece and you refuse to fly on an aircraft type?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by muishkin
Complete rubbish paragraph by Forbes there.

What incentive did GM have in making clunkers in the 80s and 90s? Just because there are no long term incentives for companies to release sub-par product doesn't meant companies never do it.

How are MH 370 and MH 17 evidences of the consequence of accepting unsafe aircraft? One is most likely due to deliberate diversion by a suicidal pilot and the other one got caught in the middle of an irredentist war.
I think what they are reffering to is what happens after multiple disasters. MH was decimated after the two incidents. If Boeing had multiple incidents due to safety issues or quality issues with the aircraft, their passenger plane division would certainly be hurt or destroyed.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by muishkin
What incentive did GM have in making clunkers in the 80s and 90s?
Bad analogy. When GM makes a clunker, the car might not start, or might act up on the road, or very rarely cause an accident that might kill one or a few people. Immoral on the part of GM, but from a purely cost/benefit analysis, you could see where this behavior might occur.

If Boeing makes a clunker airplane, it'll only take one chain of events to kill 350 or more people - and should it be linked to a defect in the plane, it'll quite possibly put Boeing out of business. @:-)
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Bad analogy. When GM makes a clunker, the car might not start, or might act up on the road, or very rarely cause an accident that might kill one or a few people. Immoral on the part of GM, but from a purely cost/benefit analysis, you could see where this behavior might occur.

If Boeing makes a clunker airplane, it'll only take one chain of events to kill 350 or more people - and should it be linked to a defect in the plane, it'll quite possibly put Boeing out of business. @:-)
There is also the market competition I think. Customers have many alternatives if they don't like GM's products (or the other Detroit big 3 automakers). That was how the Japanese autos made a killing against GM, Ford and Chrysler in the 80's and 90's. Back then, your average Toyota or Honda, while perhaps not very exciting to drive, was still heck of a lot more reliable and fuel efficient than your comparable Detroit products. Or if the customer prefer luxury performance vehicles, they can buy cars from the German automakers like Mercedes or BMW instead of Cadillac or Lincoln.

But not so for airliners. There is only one alternative, Airbus. Airlines don't have that choice. In this duopoly situation, the incentive is somewhat diluted I think. Each plane builder would much rather prefer to build defect-free planes of course, but given the lack of competition, that incentive and pressure to increase reliability is somewhat different I think.

The really strong incentive I think to keep both Boeing and Airbus straight are the legal liabilities (which can be watered down, mind you, given all those exemption clauses in the contract) and sufficient pressure from negative media exposure.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by brendog
You're joking, right? One cursory fluff piece and you refuse to fly on an aircraft type?
Nope.
Not just one "cursory fluff piece" which I found to be far from fluffy or cursory. It's the record they have as well as that piece of journalism. If you can tell me that most, if not all, of the accusations, findings and bad practice that the news item found are incorrect then maybe I'd reconsider. But you can't can you. You don't know if it's all untrue any more than I know it's actual fact. I made my decision months ago.

I love Boeing and have rerouted to try the 747-8, travelled gazillions of miles on 777 and 747 and 737 etc etc but not this baby. Fixes they make are not problem solvers. Could quote from Hamlet here about the state of Denmark.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:54 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by lloydah
Nope.
Not just one "cursory fluff piece" which I found to be far from fluffy or cursory. It's the record they have as well as that piece of journalism. If you can tell me that most, if not all, of the accusations, findings and bad practice that the news item found are incorrect then maybe I'd reconsider. But you can't can you. You don't know if it's all untrue any more than I know it's actual fact. I made my decision months ago.

I love Boeing and have rerouted to try the 747-8, travelled gazillions of miles on 777 and 747 and 737 etc etc but not this baby. Fixes they make are not problem solvers. Could quote from Hamlet here about the state of Denmark.
So everything else they make is great, just not the 787? The manufacturing philosophy of the company went haywire on one production line, but not any of the others?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by brendog
I'd say the track record is also not that encouraging. Too many close calls to make me go out of my way to fly one.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by tireman77
So everything else they make is great, just not the 787? The manufacturing philosophy of the company went haywire on one production line, but not any of the others?
So it would seem, unless there's been (another) massive cover up which we don't know about. I don't recall the same amount of problems hitting the other models mentioned. Let's face it. If it had been Airbus and not a US company I'd put money on the US gov. closing airspace to them until it had been proved to be thoroughly reliable - which to my and many other minds it has not.

Last edited by lloydah; Sep 12, 2014 at 7:02 am Reason: correction of grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.