FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Seek Advice: ANA Premium Economy vs SQ Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1606357-seek-advice-ana-premium-economy-vs-sq-economy.html)

VOSGP Aug 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Seek Advice: ANA Premium Economy vs SQ Economy

Hi,

Seeking advice for my coming trip to USA, from Singapore. I am always on SQ economy but am thinking if it's better (comfort wise) to take ANA Premium Economy instead.

ANA will take a shorter time to arrive at my destination as there are 2 transits compared to 3 on SQ..

Thank you.

LondonElite Aug 27, 2014 2:20 am

Yes, ANA premium economy is better than SQ economy. Bigger seat, smaller cabin, more legroom.

VOSGP Aug 27, 2014 2:52 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 23430547)
Yes, ANA premium economy is better than SQ economy. Bigger seat, smaller cabin, more legroom.

Thank you.

LondonElite Aug 27, 2014 3:18 am

Welcome to FT VOSGP!

Have you looked at the websites? Surely there is no comparison...

NH Premium Economy

SQ Economy

flyertalker00156 Aug 27, 2014 5:39 am

Seek Advice: ANA Premium Economy vs SQ Economy

If long haul I would go for SQ

LondonElite Aug 27, 2014 6:18 am

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith (Post 23431048)

Why? Can you elaborate?

gobluetwo Aug 27, 2014 7:21 am

Premium Economy (assuming no status) on ANA gets you a bigger, more comfortable seat with footrests and reading light; more legroom; better food; priority baggage and check-in; and lounge access. ANA has the added benefit of fewer connections and earlier arrival.

Regular Economy on SQ gets you none of those things. Great in-flight service, sure, but ANA is none too shabby in that department.

VOSGP Aug 28, 2014 6:10 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 23430717)
Welcome to FT VOSGP!

Have you looked at the websites? Surely there is no comparison...

NH Premium Economy

SQ Economy

Thanks LondonElite.

I tried to look from various websites etc but none of them helps.

My friend told me ANA seats doesnt recline. It moves "forward" and it's not so comfortable..... anyone has any experience?

LondonElite Aug 28, 2014 7:42 am

I can't say, but I would always choose a PE product over standard economy, and with only two flights rather than three it would seem obvious. I've only been in F and J on NH, but peeking into the PE cabin, it did make a very nice impression to me.

JetAirways77W Aug 28, 2014 11:53 am

Having looked at the pages, NH premium economy is a no-brainer. It looks like a domestic US Airways business cabin (actually, better because you have recliners). SQ economy is just that...economy. Plus you'll probably get sushi on NH :).

LondonElite Aug 28, 2014 11:58 am

VOSGP - out of interest, what is the price difference?

s0ssos Aug 28, 2014 5:17 pm

I just came back from Singapore. I was on ANA. I was flying their 787, which has a large business cabin, and surprised by this small section in back of business that had old-looking seats. That was economy plus.
The seats in economy were pretty new with nice vibrant touchscreens that had a usb port and more. The seats in economy plus looked like old-leather seats. Sure, they were bigger, but it didn't seem too different.

Anyway, I've flown by SQ and ANA before (in business and economy): SQ always has good service. This time ANA had grumpy flight attendants. I don't know what upset them, but they weren't as good as Japanese people usually are.

But if you've never flown SQ before, I'd say fly them just for the experience.

VOSGP Aug 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 23439066)
VOSGP - out of interest, what is the price difference?

Thanks everyone for your views and sharing.

LondonElite, it's about Us$250 more for ANA vs SQ+United.

PS: I am krisflyer gold so lounge access and priority queue are not in my considerations. Purely comfort/rest is my top priority.

LondonElite Aug 29, 2014 2:18 am

You didn't mention United before! Even more reason to take ANA!

lighthand Aug 29, 2014 5:43 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 23440707)
I just came back from Singapore. I was on ANA. I was flying their 787, which has a large business cabin, and surprised by this small section in back of business that had old-looking seats. That was economy plus.
The seats in economy were pretty new with nice vibrant touchscreens that had a usb port and more. The seats in economy plus looked like old-leather seats. Sure, they were bigger, but it didn't seem too different.

Anyway, I've flown by SQ and ANA before (in business and economy): SQ always has good service. This time ANA had grumpy flight attendants. I don't know what upset them, but they weren't as good as Japanese people usually are.

But if you've never flown SQ before, I'd say fly them just for the experience.

I think grumpy FAs can happen on any airline (even SQ), so for sake of comfort I would choose PE over economy.

ANA's service is pretty good, and the food is quite decent. However the IFE movies can be a bit dated, unless you enjoy Japanese dramas (very updated).

I would suggest the following:

1. If you plan to sleep through the flight PE with ANA
2. If you plan to catch up on movies or tv shows, and the flight is short (7 hr or less) go with SQ

LondonElite Aug 29, 2014 5:45 am

Originally Posted by lighthand (Post 23442865)
2. If you plan to catch up on movies or tv shows, and the flight is short (7 hr or less) go with SQ

There's a TPAC sector in there somewhere, possibly on UA, so my suggestion is always err on the side of comfort.

lighthand Aug 29, 2014 6:30 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 23442871)
There's a TPAC sector in there somewhere, possibly on UA, so my suggestion is always err on the side of comfort.

^ fully agree on that.

VOSGP Aug 29, 2014 9:10 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 23442364)
You didn't mention United before! Even more reason to take ANA!

Sorry for the wrong information,

My choices are:
Ana - sin to japan to Chicago to OMA (last leg will also be UA)
Sq - sin to Frankfurt to JFK to Chicago to OMA (2 legs on UA)
SQ - sin to Hk or other city to LAX to Chicago to Oma ( 2 legs on UA)

LondonElite Aug 29, 2014 9:20 am

Here is my advice:

Originally Posted by VOSGP (Post 23443731)

This is your best option. I think at least one of the NRT-ORD is a 77W, which is very nice.

This is crazy. SIN to FRA is a long flight to do in economy. Then you've got another long haul to JFK...no way.

HK to LAX is also a long flight to do in an economy seat. For $250, the choice is clear to me.

gobluetwo Aug 29, 2014 10:56 am

Originally Posted by VOSGP (Post 23443731)
Sorry for the wrong information,

My choices are:

Agree with LondonElite. ANA is your best bet. Fewest connections and more comfortable long-haul cabin.

Another thing to note is that there is no non-stop JFK-ORD flight on UA. You'd either have to connect through IAD or transfer to LGA or EWR.

VOSGP Aug 31, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks All for your advices, especially to LondonElite. I shall take ANA :)

LondonElite Aug 31, 2014 9:36 am

Originally Posted by VOSGP (Post 23451993)
Thanks All for your advices, especially to LondonElite. I shall take ANA :)

How about you write a trip report about it (with pictures) and post it in the TR forum. That sort of contribution is always greatly appreciated by others!

VOSGP Aug 31, 2014 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 23452147)
How about you write a trip report about it (with pictures) and post it in the TR forum. That sort of contribution is always greatly appreciated by others!

That's a good idea. I wil try to do it :)

ORDnHKG Sep 1, 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by VOSGP (Post 23441201)

LondonElite, it's about Us$250 more for ANA vs SQ+United.

PS: I am krisflyer gold so lounge access and priority queue are not in my considerations. Purely comfort/rest is my top priority.

Are you sure it is only a $250 difference ? As NH's premium economy usually cost $1000 more, close to the discount business range.

The cost difference more like is for economy NOT premium economy.

Also, your SIN-NRT leg would NOT have premium economy at all, only for NRT-ORD.

Originally Posted by VOSGP (Post 23437147)

My friend told me ANA seats doesnt recline. It moves "forward" and it's not so comfortable..... anyone has any experience?

That's correct, but that is for economy, not premium economy, did you look at the NH site yet ?

I think you are confused between the two, there is a big difference between the price as well.

VOSGP Sep 2, 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 23456925)
Are you sure it is only a $250 difference ? As NH's premium economy usually cost $1000 more, close to the discount business range.

The cost difference more like is for economy NOT premium economy.

Also, your SIN-NRT leg would NOT have premium economy at all, only for NRT-ORD.

That's correct, but that is for economy, not premium economy, did you look at the NH site yet ?

I think you are confused between the two, there is a big difference between the price as well.

Yes you are right , Sin to NRT is Economy not PE.

To get to my destination: cost from Travel Agent:-
SQ - Via LAX -> Total S$4,171
SQ FARES SGD1995 TAXES SGD893
AA FARES SGD1074 TAXES SGD129
FEES SGD80

SQ - via SFO -> Total S$4,399
SQ FARES SGD1995 TAXES SGD854
AA FARES SGD1319 TAXES SGD151
FEES SGD80

NH via Chicago -> Total S$4,639
NH FARES SGD3650 TAXES SGD909 FEES SGD80
CHANGES ALLOWED SUBJECT TO REISSUE FEES PLUS

I looked at ANA website, cant tell the difference. Looked at youtube and searched for ANA Premium Economy....same animation video found in ANA website. 777-300ER has 2 types of seats..... nothing mention on the "sliding" type of seat.

I am not sure what do you think I am confused with.

Thanks for your reply.

PS: Just found out it's AA and not UA.

VOSGP Dec 7, 2014 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by VOSGP (Post 23454241)
That's a good idea. I wil try to do it :)

Finally took my ANA flight. I am at the Chicago airport waiting for my flight to final destination.

Overall it's better than SQ because of 2 transits instead of 3.
Seat was wider, more space between my "neighbour, tray at the side with pockets for storage right under the screen (cos no tray table), noise cancelling headphones. I asked stewardess to fill up my water bottle and was pleasantly surprised that they use Evian mineral water.

PS: Sorry no photos yet.

Thanks for the advice, once again. Cheers.

LondonElite Dec 9, 2014 3:39 am

Glad it worked out for you! Safe travels.

VOSGP Jan 4, 2015 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 23966179)
Glad it worked out for you! Safe travels.

Thanks LondonElite.

BTW,

I prefer the following from ANA over SQ :-
Noise Cancelling headphones.... much more comfortable compared with the ones from SQ biz class.
Rice crackers are nicer than peanuts.
Evian water was served.....

1kBill Jan 5, 2015 7:19 am

Still curious about this one.

I am still wondering about this comment. Why on earth would you choose long-haul regular economy over premium Y? Prohibitive cost is about the only logical reason I can come up, but OP states that the difference was only $250, which is well worth it, IMHO.

BRITINJAPAN3 Jan 6, 2015 7:10 pm

NH economy on some 787 are sliding squab with no recline, absolutely awful, PE is as someelse said like US domestic F. The only reason to take SQ would be for the IFE, but surely not woth it considering the time involved