Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you decide how to spend your vacation time?

Old Jul 27, 14, 9:15 am
Original Poster

How do you decide what is worth see/doing/ eating during your vacation? Do you use travel guides? Or maybe something else?
Old Jul 27, 14, 11:17 am
Used to be highman123

In the developed world I use foursquare. The less developed world I ask ppl or sometimes use tripadvisor...
Old Jul 27, 14, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
"Vacation"?
Old Jul 27, 14, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
"Where should I go in xxx" in Google typically turns up dozens of results, from Tripadvisor/Fodor through independent reviews, personal trip reports, etc.

E.g - I just came back from Iceland. "Where should I go in Iceland" turns up 170,000 hits, including

Top Ten Things To Do In Iceland The Dohop Blog
Day 64: Ten Reasons Why You Should Go to Iceland Now
Places to Visit in Iceland | Iceland Travel | Rough Guides
Seven Things to Do in Iceland | Nomadic Matt's Travel Site
Five Things I Wish I Knew Before Visiting Iceland
Things to do in Iceland - Lonely Planet
What to do in Iceland | Iceland Activity | Iceland Adventure

etc., etc., etc.
Old Jul 27, 14, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I search blogs both travel and food, look at tripadvisor for activities and check out Viator. After all of that I research private guides tours and reach out on twitter too for suggestions.
Old Jul 27, 14, 12:01 pm

Programs: Up there, Route 36 LaPaz Diamond
For Ideas - Google and some of the many magazines we are subscribed to AFAR/Travel+Leisure/Sunset etc...
For Lodging - awardmapper.com and using yelp/tripadvisor for reviews
For Food - Yelp app/website

Last edited by CarolinaCoopers; Jul 27, 14 at 12:21 pm
Old Jul 27, 14, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I often find travel deals, and then decide if it's worthwhile going. I've booked tickets to some pretty strange places, and then figured the rest out.

For instance I just booked a $217 RT to MEX, and will figure out the rest of the trip in the next week. While I've connected there, I've never actually spent any time there.
Old Jul 27, 14, 12:32 pm

That depends. I usually like to plan a few things and then just use the rest of the time to float around at do whatever i stumble upon.
Old Jul 27, 14, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist

I do many of the aforementioned things, but I'll also throw in a plug for the Destinations forum on FT. It sometimes requires some searching, but you can often find others' itineraries and the critiques they were given.
Old Jul 27, 14, 2:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I really like Lonely Planet travel guides, great content, good insight, seemingly honest opinions, good formatting and pretty solid value for the most part. Some are also a bit more tailored to the niche as well with the "on a shoestring" guides.

That said, I don't rely on them at all, I'll often carry one, do a bunch of research before the trip (if it's that kinda trip) then just scope things out when I get there.

When it comes to short trips, I just hit the ground and walk. I like to go to Canucks games on the road so I'll research where the arena is, how to get there cheapest and somewhere to stay. Anything beyond that is usually just either stuff I've heard of or totally random. I do the same thing on day trips in Colombia, I'm familiar with Medellin but I like to venture and check out other cities so I just ask a cabbie or bus driver to take me downtown, then I start walking from there.
Old Jul 27, 14, 2:23 pm

I usually start with a map, to get the lay of the land and see if anything interesting jumps out. After that I narrow down to types of activities or places and do multiple searches for reviews, trip reports, and the individual vendor websites.
Old Jul 28, 14, 5:26 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
There's this website called flyertalk...

Otherwise Lonely Planet guides, trip advisor and advice from anyone else who's been. Places to eat I generally just wander round the area to see what looks nicest (though oddly enough I keep finding the best place is the one opposite the hotel).
Old Jul 28, 14, 8:33 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I don't plan. Places where I've never been before, whether countries or cities highlights, is what I aim for.
Old Jul 28, 14, 11:12 am

I look at a map to find places that have the best hiking or biking and also have the lowest chance of anyone speaking English. The last thing I want to see on a trip is someone else from North America or Europe, as it would defeat the purpose of traveling.
Old Jul 28, 14, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
I ask my wife what she wants to do, we do that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: