Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you decide how to spend your vacation time?

How do you decide how to spend your vacation time?

Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:23 pm

I will start Googling

"Free Music Events+Destination"

"Art Gallery Opening Receptions+Destination".

"New Restaurants+Destination"

"Theater Shows+ Destination)

ETC.

Then I also visit the loca Visitors Bureau before I leave and order their free Vacation Guide. I will also browse through Guidebooks and take notes on my laptop as opposed to buying a $20 guide book and lugging it around.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I start with a guidebook and then Wikipedia (checking what's under "cultural) then I pull up maps on Google and supplement with TA. This has done well for me.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Jonathan Jacob
How do you decide what is worth see/doing/ eating during your vacation? Do you use travel guides? Or maybe something else?
I want to visit the land of my ancestors... Ireland.

I have not made the trip yet but it is on my list. I want to see
where we come from and experience the charms of the place.

I currently spend most of my vacation time up in Canada visiting
with my mom. I help her out with the house and other things while
up there... plus it is nice to reconnect with the country of my birth.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
For me, Wikitravel and the free tourist guide you get from calling the convention and visitors bureau help to come up with a rough general plan. Advice from people who have been is also relevant sometimes.

If I'm going away somewhere overseas, I will pick up a LP/Fodor's/Frommer's etc. guide. Sometimes I'll just borrow one from the library instead of buying.

Once I'm at the destination, I find a lot of interesting things to see and do just by walking around a lot.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jacob
How do you decide what is worth see/doing/ eating during your vacation? Do you use travel guides? Or maybe something else?
Is this some kind of academic or commercial survey?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:53 pm

My most recent (almost typed "my last...") vacation day was 2007, so I'm dealing with hypotheticals here. My vacation days go to volunteer and relief work. So wherever the world is in need. Usually, I prefer Africa. No sights, events or even restaurants or hotels most places I go. So nothing to research except immunizations and local supply needs (medicine in particular).
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by djk7
I ask my wife what she wants to do, we do that.
I use the same solution
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:46 pm

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Jul 31, 2014 at 5:47 pm Reason: Replied to wrong post on my tiny iPhone screen
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I often find travel deals, and then decide if it's worthwhile going. I've booked tickets to some pretty strange places, and then figured the rest out.

For instance I just booked a $217 RT to MEX, and will figure out the rest of the trip in the next week. While I've connected there, I've never actually spent any time there.
I have a long list of countries I'd like to visit. After missing a couple sales, I trained myself to hit the button first when I spotted a great deal on that list. Then sort out the details later.

Or sometimes it is just like the above - I see the deal first, it looks interesting, I book it. 24 hours to consider whether to keep or cancel the tickets.

Definitely guide books. A trip to the library usually follows ticketing. Then an actual purchase of the ones that seem to work best for me. Often Lonely Planet, but sometimes others.

While at the library I also search on the country/area/city names. Even fiction can have a lot of good description about climate, history, culture, food, weather, etc.

I've written or emailed Chambers of Commerce and Tourist Bureaus. When considering the south of France, I received a pamphlet called the "Painters of the Light" identifying the places the Impressionists lived and worked. It formed the basis for a wonderful wander through that area.

And then there is http://mosttraveledpeople.com. It can be a great source of inspiration.

Romelle
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:50 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by djk7
I ask my wife what she wants to do, we do that.
+1! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.