Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most disappointing place you've been to

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
China, the sellers are so oppressive. People trying to rip you off at every corner,. One time I went in for a massage and she told me if I wanted her to use oil, that would be 40$ extra. On almost every corner there are people trying to friend u so they can take you for tea and then charge you a huge bill. They are also into ivory, which comes from killing elephants.
Honestly, it depends where you are in China.
If you walk around the tourist traps in Beijing, Shanghai, Xian and Guilin -then, yes, I can somehow relate to your post.
But 99% of the rest of China is not like you describing it.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: HHonors-D, Delta Silver, IHG Plat
Worst Place!

Hands down! Brussels.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:54 pm

Las Vegas. It's not very fun if you're married, don't gamble, and there for work (during the day). Buffets were good though!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's funny about Houston. I went there the first time with moderately high expectations. I thought it was a pretty dreadful, ugly place within a day or so. Then I came to like it, not for the city itself (it is really ugly), but it's got some of the nice people I've ever met anywhere (and some of the girls are so hot, I wondered where the 'fattest city in America' tag came from).

PS, some of the most attractive girls in the US are in Houston, in case I have not mentioned that before...so hot, and friendly, and understanding,...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Most disappointing place you've been to

I know, I think Barbara bush is from that area
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Small place - Barrow

Large place - Milan

Plenty of other "disappointments" but none that I had wanted to visit for a long time.
We LOVED Barrow. We had the right expectations I suppose. We knew that we were going to an extreme point on earth but there wasn't much to do there.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's funny about Houston. I went there the first time with moderately high expectations. I thought it was a pretty dreadful, ugly place within a day or so. Then I came to like it, not for the city itself (it is really ugly), but it's got some of the nice people I've ever met anywhere (and some of the girls are so hot, I wondered where the 'fattest city in America' tag came from).

PS, some of the most attractive girls in the US are in Houston, in case I have not mentioned that before...so hot, and friendly, and understanding,...
Houston is crazy. It's one of the biggest cities in the USA but is almost bereft of any sort of urban vitality that even a third tier Asian or European city would have. Other than the central business district, you can't really even walk there. It's like driving through a farm town that just never ever seems to end.

Given that it is very well serviced by international airlines, I can only imagine what foreign visitors must think when that is their first taste of North America.

On another note, I have never been there myself but a few people have mentioned being disappointed on their first visits to HNL. I guess people are expecting some kind of idyllic Don Ho luau scene but end up in a busy, overpriced big American city.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Brussels can be quite a bit of fun during the Christmas Market season. Otherwise, I'd stay away.
I visited BRU after spending a couple of weeks in France. By that point it just seemed underwhelming, although I'm sure if my vacation only consisted of Belgium I'd have liked BRU just fine.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smith80678
I know, I think Barbara bush is from that area
That did make me laugh!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by heraclitus
On another note, I have never been there myself but a few people have mentioned being disappointed on their first visits to HNL. I guess people are expecting some kind of idyllic Don Ho luau scene but end up in a busy, overpriced big American city.
Honolulu is not that great, but the Hawaiian islands are amazing. They would rank as one of the places I rated the least, and was completely sold.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I don't mean to sound like an off-topic post monitor, but just curious - are people listing places that they dreamed of going to and then felt disappointed? Some places like DFW/BAH don't usually seem to be places that would enter a dream list

Anyway mine is Great Barrier Reef.

Last edited by UA Fan; Jul 24, 2014 at 12:51 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by warakorn
Honestly, it depends where you are in China.
If you walk around the tourist traps in Beijing, Shanghai, Xian and Guilin -then, yes, I can somehow relate to your post.
But 99% of the rest of China is not like you describing it.
China. I sat next to a man for 12 hours to get there who didn't say a word, I walked 10 paces off the plane and he spat on my shoe. It didn't get much better after that.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan

Anyway mine is Great Barrier Reef.
Can you elaborate? That's next on my bucket list, have 'done' southern Utah.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by littlesheep
Can you elaborate? That's next on my bucket list, have 'done' southern Utah.
The coral did not seem colorful. I had previously seen some coral near Andaman Islands, India and thought GBR would exceed that. Maybe I went with high expectations.

Are you disappointed with S Utah?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
USC. Go to UCLA instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.