Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying to learn how to be a "pro FF"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Paying to learn how to be a "pro FF"

What we can learn free on this wonderful forum costs money: http://local.amazon.com/queens/B00J9...&cid=site_more
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This will move to TravelBuzz for broader exposure and discussion.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I really think someone should take one for the team and sign up and report back.

I was just recently sharing a meeting space with a group titled something like "how to make money in real estate" and on the screen as I passed by was:

Buy Low
Sell High

And the room was full of people scribbling away on note pads.

I suspect the advice given in this session will be similar.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:01 pm

Love how the title is "fly for free" and the description is "fly for nearly free"
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
I find it amusing that the "value" is $100, but you can get it for the discounted rate of only $35 for a 2 hour seminar. What a deal!

This "Academy"and the real estate seminar milepig witnessed count on the accuracy of the statement, "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute".

The internet just makes it easier to take advantage of the "suckers".
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:54 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I should doing this hahaha
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just like FTU, the Chicago Seminars, the F2B sessions and many others.

Even if the same info is available here some people want the condensed, filtered version and they're willing to pay for it.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
I should doing this hahaha
You can go in and constantly correct the presenter when they give out incorrect info and steal their customers
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
They get five stars on Yelp.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/travel-maste...demy-cambridge

Looks like Credit Card Churning 101. I'm wondering if Boris is a member here.

I think I will start offering a $100 class (for $39) on how to use Google to find free information on the internet to avoid paying for $100 seminars.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by tev9999
I think I will start offering a $100 class (for $39) on how to use Google to find free information on the internet to avoid paying for $100 seminars.
I only charge $38 and have a bunch of 5 star ratings on TA from people with 1 to 2 reviews
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:48 pm

Customers seem to have low expectations:

I opened the following credit cards and got the respective values out of them - I think these digits speak louder than words:
Chase Sapphire Preferred - 60K points - got $650 in airfare
Chase United Explorer - 50K points - got $600 in airfare
Chase Southwest Airlines - 50K points - $500 in airfare
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:09 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Wow i guess i should go there an correct him haha
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold

On one hand, I think this is exceedingly lame. On the other hand, they're not any different than Dave Ramsey and the like - offering common sense advice available to anyone in a pretty, polished package. If there are suckers out there willing to pay for something they could have gotten from a couple hours spent on FT, I can't blame them for capitalizing on that.

However, as someone that churns, I'm irritated that this is now being publicized to that extent that you can take a class on the practice. Way to ruin a good thing, guys.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:40 am

Oh like this is really going to add to our knowledge LOL. I mean I knew about how the Frequent Flyer Programs worked when I was 8. I was booking trips online when they first came out let alone printing my own boarding pass.

I think I smell some unsuspecting seniors sign up for this thinking what the heck I get a free trip.

I smell a Spam Scam(: (My word for getting tons of e-mails that are Scams).

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Wow i guess i should go there an correct him haha
I would love to sign up as a Travel Professional and hand out my Business Cards to everyone that attends. When the presenter is out of the room I would start out by saying that I can book your trip and give you the best bang for the buck.

I would tell them about Flyer Talk as well and how its free to join.

LOL

Those 5 stars on Yelp mean nothing. The Instructor is probably paying their friends and relatives to leave good reviews. Yelp has this software to detect these reviews. If I were you I would flag the reviews.

I love the qualifications such as riding an E-Bike across the USA etc using his miles he has accumulated. Yea but do you realize how much you need to put in to get the miles? Who paid for his trips his Mom?

I went through a true Travel Agent Program, have a Masters Degree, Passed the TAP Test with a 94 percent and the Travel Program also with a 92 percent, have experience working with individuals with special-needs and other niche travel.

So he wants me to pay him for something I can learn for free on FlyerTalk which I have been a member of since 2003? Wow seems like he is just going to pocket the money.

Also notice how the reviews are from Brighton MA, New Jersey , NY? All 5 Stars. Something tells me its his friends giving him the ratings. If he were really that good and well known like Frommer I would fly out and listen to him and pay top dollar.

Heck I saw Rick Steves at a Travel Show and did not have to pay to get in. I learned more from Rick Steves than I would learn from Boris in 2-4 hours. Also Rick offers these free online Webinars on his different tours as well as PBS series.

Why do I need Borris? Can someone here please tell me why?

Also if he really made close connections on his trip don't you think he would get attendees from out of the area as well?

Seems like a Scam. What's your opinion?

I sent this guy an email asking if he is accredited and has an IATA#/CLIA#, what is his accreditation with the Travel Institute CTC/TAP etc.

I recently completed a Travel and Tourism Program with Penn Foster and as part of the program I had to pass the TAP Exam. I now work for a Host Agency and have background in the Travel Industry.

I did not just pay some agent for an IATA# I have to make $5,000 in sales to get it but for now I can use the Host Agency's IATA/CLIA# until I can get my own.

I have also been taking courses offered through the various Cruise Lines and other Vendors as well.

I asked the guy does he have an Errors And Omissions Insurance, Is he Bonded etc.

Let's see the response I get and I'll be sure to pass it along.

Originally Posted by davie355
Love how the title is "fly for free" and the description is "fly for nearly free"
Yea I caught that as well. Well fly for free and nearly for free is quite different.

Fly for Free I would consider that to be $0 without Taxes.

Nearly for Free

Average flight in USA $400+
Average Europe Flight $1100+

Miles Earned in Y 100 Percent if booked in correct Booking Code
Miles Earned in Discounted Y 50 Percent
Business /First Class 150 percent etc.

It would take the average person given the average West Coast to Europe Flight is 5,000 each way at least $6000+ dollars to get 1 Free Trip.

Also availability is not there. You figure on British Airways when you go via LHR your paying hefty taxes.

I was lucky to get a 1 way 30,000 miles Saver Award from Europe-USA after a Trans Atlantic Cruise.

If I were to create an online program I would teach people how to extend their dollar such as booking repositioning cruises one way and Consolidator flights back home etc.

BTW Frequent Flier Mileage Programs are changing to where it will be Revenue Based and not just MQM based.

This instructor Boris I'm afraid will be obsolete come 2015.

Whats your take?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 29, 2014 at 5:45 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: HH Silver
This reminds me of the many programs, books, seminars, etc for Mystery Shopping. All of the information given in those programs and books can be accessed for free at Volition. In fact, you will get more accurate and up to date info on Volition.

The people that pay for these are people who want something for nothing. They are people who do not have the intelligence to be able to do it anyway, and think that it will be easy and not take any time at all. The ones for mystery shopping advertise FREE meals, hotel stays, etc. What they do not tell you up front, is how much work it takes. How long it takes to type up the reports, and that if you don't do it correctly, you don't get paid for the meal you ate, or the hotel you stayed in.

In reality, accumulating FF miles, much like MS (both Manufactured Spend, and Mystery Shopping) takes a certain amount of ingenuity, time, talent, and intelligence.

Once these people find out that they have to actually spend $3000 or more in 3 months, or actually have decent credit, they will be howling at Boris for their money back.

What irks me the most, is the people who wrote all these things, and give these seminars, are people who learned what they do from websites like FT and Volition. They probably contributed absolutely NOTHING to the community here, but are quick to take it all away and sell it as their own invention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.