Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with Chicken Pox

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Flying with Chicken Pox

On my TLV-LTN flight now a family boarded with a toddler showing a full face of chicken pox. The FA rightly told them they couldn't fly and so they deplaned although not until everyone else including a bunch of other kids had boarded. I was shocked they even tried to fly. Anyone else seen anything like this?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Nothing quite so blatant, but it does beg the question whether or not the airline would re-accomodate them on a later flight without charge, or if they would be stuck eating the non-refundable airfare. The latter may have been part of their motivation to attempt to fly, horrible as the idea was.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Flying with Chicken Pox

Ain't no cure for stoooooopid!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:48 am
iff

The issue has come up a few times:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...rchid=20985725
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:10 pm
HMO

I never had chickenpox, and I'll be very upset if I get it at my 40's because a no considerate or even selfish person
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by HMO
I never had chickenpox, and I'll be very upset if I get it at my 40's because a no considerate or even selfish person
Can you get the vaccine now?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Can you get the vaccine now?
This may be an old wives tale, but I've heard it is actually dangerous to get either the disease or the vaccine as an adult.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:39 pm

I never heard of anything so crazy before, but im definitely not surprised.
I wonder how they work out the tickets? If they didn't have insurance, do they get anything back? before booking a ticket, it never says you can't have chicken pox
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by etch5895
This may be an old wives tale, but I've heard it is actually dangerous to get either the disease or the vaccine as an adult.
I wasn't sure. Not surprised to hear this. That virus behave strangely in adults.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
There is a vaccine for chicken pox. Which would be ideal as then you would also be protected from getting shingles.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:01 pm

Are you positive it was Chicken Pox?

There's lots and lots and lots of illnesses and rashes (many look just like chicken pox) that little kids get. Not all of them are contagious and most of them are harmless.

I've had to travel with my child while he was in the middle of some gnarly looking rash, but I got a letter from the pediatrician with his diagnosis and that it was non communicable.

Never the less, I still got stares that could have killed a person.

Also, many childhood diseases are not contagious anymore after the rash appears. Even just a mild cold can produce a rash that looks very similar to measles in kids.

A bad case of Hand, Foot and Mouth disease might look like chicken pox. Contagious yes, but not nearly as much as chicken pox. By the time the rash shows, the contagious period is almost over by the time the rash appears. Adults can catch it and be contagious without ever knowing that they were contagious.

And unless you are touching the child, coming into contact with it's feces or the child is sneezing on your child, nothing to worry about.

Last edited by CBear; Jun 16, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Originally Posted by iff
Indeed it has. This link may work better though: mentions of chicken pox on FlyerTalk
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:21 pm
iff

Originally Posted by FTcadence
Indeed it has. This link may work better though: mentions of chicken pox on FlyerTalk
Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by etch5895
Wives tales …

Mumps are more a of problem for adults, specifically male adults. Chicken Pox symptoms can be worse in adults but the end result is no different.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by FTcadence
Hmmm. Before posting I searched for "pox" and nothing came up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.