Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

why do hotels and car rental usually set a 30-day maximum per stay/rental?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

thanks for any info!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL,EK
In many cases state law says that more than 30 days becomes a lease which has different legal rules. I have rented a car for 4 months but had to drop in and renew the rental agreement every 30 days.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

In general they don't.....
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In many countries, it's advantageous for the individual to do a lease buyback contract on a car rather than rent for a long period. The rental car agency could also be concerned about limitations on insurance e, including through credits cards.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
As mentioned, over 30 days would be a lease. One benefit of this is that a lot of the lodging and tourist taxes don't apply to such leases.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Also keep in mind that for car rentals, if your credit card offers primary insurance (that can save you a ton), the time of the coverage is limited to30-42 days depending on the card!!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:52 am

A friend of mine owns a small car rental company that specializes in long term rentals. He requires monthly renters to stop in every month so he can ensure that his cars are in good shape and make necessary repairs.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by moondog
A friend of mine owns a small car rental company that specializes in long term rentals. He requires monthly renters to stop in every month so he can ensure that his cars are in good shape and make necessary repairs.
Sounds like he's just making an excuse. Who gets their car inspected/repaired every month?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:35 pm

As mentioned in many US states after 30 days you're considered a tenant and different rules kick in.

Originally Posted by cbn42
Sounds like he's just making an excuse. Who gets their car inspected/repaired every month?
It likely is but he's likely just making sure people aren't damaging the vehicle. Knowing how people tend to treat rentals I can't really blame him.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:37 pm

The requirement isn't mandatory, and I disagree that it's an excuse. In addition to fixed maintenance schedules, some people are really hard on cars, which can lead to unexpected problems that are better addressed sooner rather than later.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rentals often get a lot of miles. Can you say "oil change"? Besides, it likely didn't have fresh oil when it was rented.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:57 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Rentals often get a lot of miles. Can you say "oil change"? Besides, it likely didn't have fresh oil when it was rented.
+1
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
As mentioned, over 30 days would be a lease. One benefit of this is that a lot of the lodging and tourist taxes don't apply to such leases.
When the stay become a lease tenancy laws come into effect. It create many issues in the rental relationship which hotel does not want to deal with.

Last edited by tentseller; Jun 15, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by tentseller
When the stay become a lease tenancy laws come into effect. It create many issues in the rental relationship which hotel does not want to deal with.
Some hotels don't want to do leases, but others will if one talks to the manager and arranges such a stay in advance. I know people who negotiated 30+ day stays at various chain hotels at large discounts in return for less frequent maid service and guaranteed revenue for the hotel. Up until a few years ago, such stays even earned points in the chain's rewards program. Such an arrangement is great for people who are spending a couple months working in a city during the week as it's essentially a furnished apartment. The savings on taxes and off average room rates more than make up for paying for the room on weekends when one is staying elsewhere.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've had long-term rentals with both Hertz and Avis neighborhood locations, as well as with a Toyota dealer. These were corporate deals where we often had 10 to 20 cars rented at a given time. I always remember the arrangement being that we'd bring the cars back every month for a check-up. Wasn't that we were rough on them, but it allowed the agency to keep up with the scheduled maintenance.

If I didn't particularly care about the car I had, I'd just swap to a different one. When I *did* like my car, I'd just call them and give them the mileage...they'd tell me if I really needed to bring it in. If it needed an oil change, I might have to wait a few hours to get it back, but they'd make sure I got it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.