FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Ever Get an Amenity That Wasn't Intended For You? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1583609-ever-get-amenity-wasnt-intended-you.html)

CMK10 Jun 7, 2014 6:20 pm

Ever Get an Amenity That Wasn't Intended For You?

I was at the Hilton Miami Downtown last weekend with my family and we had three rooms. My brother came back to his room to find a bowl of fruit with a card. The card showed it was for someone who was not him (the last names weren't even close, ours is four letters starting with K this was six letters starting with M).

Ever happen to anyone else?

hhoope01 Jun 7, 2014 7:40 pm

Not at a Hilton, but once at a Marriott.

Was traveling with the family and when we came back one evening, the hotel had dropped off a fairly big basket of various candy bars and snacks (it had a note, which I can't remember what it said, but it didn't have a "to" name on it). This was Thanksgiving week and I thought maybe the hotel management was giving us a "thanks" for staying there that week. We received a call a bit later asking us if they could come pick it up as it was delivered to the wrong room. :eek:

Needless to say, we apologized but let them know that the kids had already opened it and eaten some of it.

Jimgotkp Jun 7, 2014 9:18 pm

I've received welcome notes in my rooms that weren't for me. I'm assuming it was for a guest that was assigned to my room, but for some reason never came to the room.

jspira Jun 7, 2014 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 22995299)
I was at the Hilton Miami Downtown last weekend with my family and we had three rooms. My brother came back to his room to find a bowl of fruit with a card. The card showed it was for someone who was not him (the last names weren't even close, ours is four letters starting with K this was six letters starting with M).

Ever happen to anyone else?

I've gotten a welcome gift intended for someone else several times. Then I got mine. Mine was much nicer. ;)

helosc Jun 8, 2014 1:41 am

I got someone else's amenity in Hilton Prague Old Town once. The people in the the room that was assigned to me didn't check out on time so I was given another room. 2 seconds after I had entered the room, a bell-boy came running to remove the amenities (assortment of cakes, big bottle of sparkling water and some fruit, I think ). He realised that he couldn't carry it all so he went of to get a trolley. A few minutes later he came back looking embarassed and told me that reception had told him to leave it for me. He then rushed off and forgot to take the welcome card and letter. So I got diamond amenities instead of gold.

sbams Jun 8, 2014 1:59 am

Once stayed at a hotel in Taipei hosting a medical conference. The delegates were apparently inundated with gifts, from fruit to medical samples and various kinds of toothpaste. I must have had a room on their floor as I got everything too.

stewaran Jun 8, 2014 4:48 am

Ever Get an Amenity That Wasn't Intended For You?

Happened to me and the intended recipient had obviously checked out quite some time ago as all the the fruit was completely rotten!
Hilton at MAD

BotB Jun 8, 2014 5:59 am

Nice idea for a fun thread ^

Only once:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8081/8...b5667f77_c.jpg
Mistake by BA_pics, on Flickr

At the DoubleTree Tower of London.

We had been upgraded to an exec room and it must have originally been allocated to a newly-wed couple. (I later ran into them in the lounge, they had been upgraded to a suite).

Rather funny actually as the duty manager knocked on the door and I was just in the act of changing clothes so carefully opened the door a crack to which he passed the chocolate plate through and said congrats and passed me his card and then left...

Before I could collect my thoughts and realise that this wasn't the standard diamond amenity...he was gone...

slidergirl Jun 8, 2014 10:43 am

It can happen if:
1)Front Desk quickly changes a room block for some reason. Room Service (or whoever delivers amenities) isn't notified or Front Desk didn't know.
2)Someone doesn't check in, so the room goes empty. It stays "vacant ready" in the system. An amenity was delivered for the no-show. Since the room is "vacant ready", no one checks the room before it is given to someone else. It can be days before that happens, hence the spoiled fruit/cheese…
3)Someone mistakenly put down your room number instead of the actual one intended to receive the amenity
4)room drops (for groups) mistakenly delivered to everyone…

It's usually a matter of left hand (Front Desk/bellstaff) not knowing what the right hand (Room Service) has done…

jake108 Jun 8, 2014 11:20 am

Intended or otherwise...

While not "top of the heap" elite status, I continue to be surprised and delighted at what shows up in my room, unbeckoned.

Earlier this year I returned to me corner room at Waikiki Hilton to find a chilled bottle of champagne and chocolate and macadamia covered strawberries. At that property they have the amazing person called Journey Ambassador, roaming around, looking to improve guests' stay.

There should be more of these Ambassadors! Thank you, Hilton!

formeraa Jun 8, 2014 1:11 pm

A few years ago, I got a substantial fresh fruit and chocolate-covered strawberry welcome gift at a newly-branded Westin in San Francisco. I was just a basic Starwood member (in fact had just "re-signed" up for Starwood's program for that particular stay). I was amazed because I got a room early when others were being told that rooms weren't ready yet and the aforementioned amenity. And,yet, I am not the least bit loyal to Starwood!

ACYYZ/SD Jun 8, 2014 1:37 pm

St Regis Mexico City (An extraordinary hotel btw). An internet mistake rate that was unfathomable (the zero had been dropped), an upgrade, and a trolley with Taquitos, Nachos and Burritos what was rolled into the room. I truly thought it was a case of mistaken identity :)

Centurion Jun 8, 2014 2:13 pm

Hyatt Maui Concierge floor- Received a huge basket for two people that included Maui Sun visors, Sun Tan lotion, Maui Chips, Maui-Tshirts and much more. After both of used every item in basket a knock on room door and a Hyatt employee wanting us to return everything including the literal shirts on our back. We took the shirts off our back and returned it all. If this happened again I would have told the hotel to bug off. No name on the basket and we stayed at the Hyatt Maui before so we really thought management was happy to see us again.

JohnnyColombia Jun 8, 2014 2:21 pm

At the Hiton Guam I got "upgraded" to a worse room. I walked straight back out and returned to the front desk to request my original room. I didn't take the fruit and welcome card with me just in case CMK10's brother was passing.

CMK10 Jun 8, 2014 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 22998824)
At the Hiton Guam I got "upgraded" to a worse room. I walked straight back out and returned to the front desk to request my original room. I didn't take the fruit and welcome card with me just in case CMK10's brother was passing.

You gotta watch out for my brother, he's very sneaky :D