Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

(Airline ticket) Prices going up?

(Airline ticket) Prices going up?

Old May 23, 14, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tireman77 View Post
Airline prices have dropped (in real dollars) by over 50% over 30 years.
They've been rising since the most recent round of megacarrier consolidation began in 2009.

Originally Posted by tireman77
The legacy carriers do have domestic competition in different markets from Southwest, Virgin America, Jet Blue, etc... The competition is there, I can assure you.
Sure, the competition is there on NYC-SFO. But take a look at small and medium markets that are down to one carrier, where B6 and VX won't ever show up. The mistake many make is surveying the top 30 markets in the country and concluding, well, no problem here... while millions who fly to/from GRR, GFK, EUG, BGR, etc., etc. face dramatic cuts, higher prices, and less reliable service. The view from the ORD tower is not representative or instructive.
Old May 23, 14, 7:19 pm

Airfare spike this week?

Hi, everyone,

Wondering whether anyone has noticed the major sites like priceline or expedia when you search for tickets, the prices have spiked ~30% this week. It was not like that even this Monday. What has happened? Will it drop back?
Old May 23, 14, 7:26 pm

Memorial Day weekend perhaps? Lots of travelers during this time.
Old May 23, 14, 7:29 pm

Let me be more specific. I am no booking for this weekend. When I searched prices in Aug/Sep, expedia gave me ~$400, now the cheapest you can get on the same date is $600. What is wrong here. Just a matter of 2 weeks?
Old May 23, 14, 9:50 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Programs: ACA
If profitability in GRR, GFK, EUG & BGR is now profitable to the point of gouging people, won't some of the LCC's soon swoop in take advantage of this gap?

My point is that the current selection of airlines AA, DL, UA, WN, JB, AS, NK, F9, VX, G4 can offer competitive service and retain profitability for every one. Win win.
Old May 24, 14, 10:22 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I would like to see open skies to the point where foreign air carriers are allowed to fly domestic US routes and vice versa.
Old May 25, 14, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I hate expensive ticket. That's too much! There is no reason to spend $400 ticket. This is insane! That's ridiculous! Must reduced the airfares now. No one spend more than $380 - $450 RT. We need a real cheaper price. You cannot increase a ticket price. We need real cheap price. They have to be $150 or $200 RT. I'm tired of waiting!
Old May 25, 14, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sure seems that way. I have a couple trips planned for this summer that I'm not booking because I'm hoping against hope prices go down.

- RDU-PHX for a weekend in July is ~$450
- RDU-MCI for a weekend in August is ~$440

I looked at GSO/FAY and even RIC and that didn't help.

The only bright spot is RDU-DCA is now much cheaper than it used to be which is good as I also have a couple trips there. So I guess it kind of balances out.
Old May 25, 14, 9:55 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
The only bright spot is RDU-DCA is now much cheaper than it used to be which is good as I also have a couple trips there. So I guess it kind of balances out.
How are RDU-BWI fares?

Of course, if DC is the destination DCA is by far the best choice, but during weekdays when MARC trains are running, I might do BWI if the price difference is significant.
Old May 25, 14, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
How are RDU-BWI fares?

Of course, if DC is the destination DCA is by far the best choice, but during weekdays when MARC trains are running, I might do BWI if the price difference is significant.
No need to even consider BWI (unless I want to go there). AA and US and even UA are running $95 o/ws between RDU-DCA. RDU-CLT/PHL-DCA only adds another $10. Last year unless there was a rare fare sale it was usually twice or three times the cost of RDU-BWI. Like I said, rare bright spot.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: