Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Middle manager upgraded ahead of senior VP, told to give seat to superior.

Middle manager upgraded ahead of senior VP, told to give seat to superior.

Old May 18, 2014, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
I wouldn't hesitate to give my upgraded seat to my lady friend. In no way am I implying she is less physically capable than I am (actually, likely the opposite). Why do I do that? I don't know, because it's nice?
Would you do the same for a male friend?

I would do the same if I was traveling with my mother. It's in part to be nice, in part to show respect. Actually, I do think my mother deserves, from me, least of all, an upgrade while traveling for raising me and looking after me for the majority of my life.
How about your father?
Old May 18, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by danville 1K
Wouldn't have had to tell me, giving him or her the better seat would be a no brainer, unless you really disliked either your boss, or your job, or both.
^

While OP's superiors may well be "losers," this is a no-brainer to me as well.
Old May 19, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by LondonElite
If someone who worked for me got upgraded and I didn't it would never even occur to me to expect them to give it up for me. And if they did I would insist they keep their seat.
Completely agree. This thread just goes to remind us of the chasm in attitude that exists between those on either side of the Atlantic. Indebted servitude is seemingly alive and kicking in the United States.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tanglin
My boss, and even my CEO would not have expected this.

In fact they would think I was trying to kiss assss if I did.
Same here.
Old May 19, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Middle manager ahead of senior VP list told to give seat to superior

I'm curious as to the ages of those posting various perspectives here. Someone suggested a geographical split, which I also find interesting.

I'm late 20s and think the only person at the office I'd ever consider giving my upgrade to would be a pregnant colleague. No way would I give my VP my seat, and if ordered to, I'd be looking for another job using GoGo wifi.
Old May 19, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by Badenoch
A perfectly acceptable approach if your intent is to be beaten like a dog for the bulk of your professional career.
So .... with respect to your professional career .... you only do what you want, and you only do it when you want to? How's that working out for you?
Old May 19, 2014, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by RRDD
So .... with respect to your professional career .... you only do what you want, and you only do it when you want to? How's that working out for you?
Doing fine thanks for asking. But then I have enough confidence in my ability and of my value to a company that I don't have to play lickspittle to the petty whims of middle management. Your mileage may vary.
Old May 19, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by keloutwest
I'm curious as to the ages of those posting various perspectives here. Someone suggested a geographical split, which I also find interesting.
Nationality: USA
I would add one more; Military Background: Yes
Old May 19, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by RRDD
Nationality: USA
I would add one more; Military Background: Yes
And here comes that chasm between the US and the rest of the world again.......
Old May 19, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1P
I wouldn't hesitate to give my upgraded seat to my lady friend. In no way am I implying she is less physically capable than I am (actually, likely the opposite).
I would do the same if I was traveling with my mother. It's in part to be nice, in part to show respect. Actually, I do think my mother deserves, from me, least of all, an upgrade while traveling for raising me and looking after me for the majority of my life.
Your female boss/colleague is not your "lady friend," nor is she your mother. And I am sure she would not appreciate being regarded that way.

Last edited by LTBoston; May 19, 2014 at 3:31 pm
Old May 19, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I'm an American, moderately senior in my company, and I would never consider asking a subordinate to give up their first or business class seat for me, or even taking it if offered. When I was younger, I did have an opportunity once when a very senior person passed me once in First (transcontinental). (He had had an assistant book his ticket last minute - not because the meeting was scheduled at the last minute but because that was how he did things, so the price was ridiculous. The assistant had sent the itinerary around to the group.) I do my own booking and found there was a TOD upgrade, which I paid for myself. He said something half-jokingly about why should I be in first and not him. I turned it around by saying, with a smile, that I did not see how someone could spend $X on a ticket and not get upgraded to First. I volunteered to teach him how it works next time. He was one of those guys who travels a lot but never pays attention to how miles, status or upgrades work and undoubtedly flew coach on expensive tickets a lot more than he needed to. (Most of the people I work with are the opposite.)
Old May 19, 2014, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I'm an American, moderately senior in my company, and I would never consider asking a subordinate to give up their first or business class seat for me, or even taking it if offered. When I was younger, I did have an opportunity once when a very senior person passed me once in First (transcontinental). (He had had an assistant book his ticket last minute - not because the meeting was scheduled at the last minute but because that was how he did things, so the price was ridiculous. The assistant had sent the itinerary around to the group.) I do my own booking and found there was a TOD upgrade, which I paid for myself. He said something half-jokingly about why should I be in first and not him. I turned it around by saying, with a smile, that I did not see how someone could spend $X on a ticket and not get upgraded to First. I volunteered to teach him how it works next time. He was one of those guys who travels a lot but never pays attention to how miles, status or upgrades work and undoubtedly flew coach on expensive tickets a lot more than he needed to. (Most of the people I work with are the opposite.)
Calling out your boss's boss for wasting company money and implying you are smarter than him. All while sitting in First while he walks back to coach. Ballsy.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've traveled a lot over the years in all sorts of scenarios: with superiors, with subordinates, as the high-status traveler, as the low-/no-status traveler. Everywhere I've ever worked, whomever gets the upgrade occupies the seat. I've never seen this expectation to give it to someone else or decline a normal status upgrade offered by the airline. Everybody knows how the game works - we all know that occasionally an upgrade is part of it.

I wouldn't read much into this on a larger societal scale: I think it speaks more to the OP's work culture than anything. I think a lot of other work cultures out there (within the U.S.) are completely different.
Old May 19, 2014, 2:07 pm

Nowhere did OP say they were more deserving. OP said it was "nice".

I don't agree. Why does one have to be "deserving" of something for me to give it to them? I wouldn't hesitate to give my upgraded seat to my lady friend. In no way am I implying she is less physically capable than I am (actually, likely the opposite). Why do I do that? I don't know, because it's nice? I know she personally wouldn't hold it against me if I didn't, but I still will. I would do the same if I was traveling with my mother. It's in part to be nice, in part to show respect. Actually, I do think my mother deserves, from me, least of all, an upgrade while traveling for raising me and looking after me for the majority of my life.

Sometimes I give a dollar or two to beggars or performers I see on the streets or in the subway. Do I think they deserve it? No, they can go get a job if they think they deserve the money. But I think they need it more than I do, and it's no big deal to me, so I do it. It also depends on my mood sometimes. If the upgrade matters that much to you, then don't give it away. If you're angry at your boss and it won't cost you your job, or if you don't care if it does, then keep the upgrade. If the upgrade doesn't matter so much and there are other factors in play, then give it up.

I don't understand how you guys went from "it is nice" to "whoever wrote that is sexist"
I don't know why you both keep getting hung up on the exact terminology... There is no logical reason why it's "nice" to give an upgrade to a woman but less "nice" to give it to a man.

That's a rather bizarre attitude. If you don't think they deserve money then why give it to them at all? (For the record, my argument is that they do deserve it, not that you shouldn't give).

I didn't say it wasn't nice - it blatantly is. That doesn't stop it being sexist. Go on about how nice it is for you to give up a seat for a woman all you like, treating people differently because of their gender is the very definition of sexism... What would your reaction be to me saying "I'll always give up my seat for a white person"? Giving up my seat for them is "nice", but that doesn't stop me being racist as well.
Old May 19, 2014, 3:57 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Calling out your boss's boss for wasting company money and implying you are smarter than him. All while sitting in First while he walks back to coach. Ballsy.
And necessary. If they do not realise that they are wasting money then it calls their competence into question. Remember their behaviours are generally repeated in different situations and they are probably wasting money in other areas as well because of their ignorance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.