Search

Longest trip home (w/connections)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 5:17 am
Formerly known as tireman77
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
FRA-JFK-NRT-SFO-RNO.

About 8-10 Hrs in JFK, and 2-4 in NRT and SFO. This was NRSA trying to get home to Reno.
Not sure I understand the detour to NRT...
Old May 6, 2014, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Recently did:
Thursday: BUD-LHR-IAD
Friday: IAD-CLT-DFW-RDU

Got within 130 miles of home then went vastly in the opposite direction.

Several years ago, finishing up a trip to Rome and Brazil I went:
Day 1: GRU-GIG-SCL-MEX
Day 2: MEX-DFW-SFO
Day 3: SJC-SAN-DFW-RDU

That one really took awhile
Old May 6, 2014, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Lusaka to Joburg to Heathrow to Dulles
Old May 6, 2014, 1:00 pm

Not exactly a trip "home" per se, but my craziest travel journey was probably going IAH-SFO-HNL-LAX-DEN in a span of about 24 hours.

And my scheduled connection time at LAX was -20 min. Flight was extremely lightly loaded and an eastbound red eye, so got in 35 min early and arrived in the same terminal as the DEN flight. Had about 5-10 min to run down there, which wasn't exactly fun at 5:30 in the morning after flying the majority of the past 24 hours...but it was all part of a crazy cool experience.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
Not exactly a trip "home" per se, but my craziest travel journey was probably going IAH-SFO-HNL-LAX-DEN in a span of about 24 hours.

And my scheduled connection time at LAX was -20 min. Flight was extremely lightly loaded and an eastbound red eye, so got in 35 min early and arrived in the same terminal as the DEN flight. Had about 5-10 min to run down there, which wasn't exactly fun at 5:30 in the morning after flying the majority of the past 24 hours...but it was all part of a crazy cool experience.
On that note, flying back from ROR-GUM-HNL-ORD-YUL last year, the 'connection' at HNL meant deplaning, taking a bus to luggage, clearing customs (immigration was cleared in GUM) going back through security, running across the terminal (the length of which we had a bus ride for on arrival) only to get back to the same plane...sitting in the same seat. 1 hour 20 minutes.... Totally nuts.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Just did CPT-JNB-HKG-SFO-SEA, 15,000 miles. Granted it was CX F on the long segments, the worst part was the two 7-8 hr layovers in HKG and SFO as well as coming down with a fever. My wife got a little nervous when I was dripping with sweat while going through transit security in HKG. It was about 46 hrs from the time we woke up in CPT till we got home in SEA.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Outbound not inbound, but I found found and booked a fare (bug?) back in early 2012 that let me do SFO-ORD-CDG-LHR-SFO-LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-SFO for the same base fare as a straight round trip SFO-HKG-BKK.

AA codeshare on CX or the main part, AA and BA for the weird detour to Paris.
Had a 23h35m layover in Paris.

Was about $1700 AI, and to my recollection that reflected about $150-$200 more in taxes.

Sadly, I had a very bad reaction to what should have been a minor surgery, and had to postpone the trip. Have not seen anything like that bookable since.
Old May 9, 2014, 9:07 am

I routed the following to get home from Berlin to Toronto:

TXL-FRA-ICN-JFK-YYZ.

I did have a 22h layover in Seoul which was nice, but the 6h layover in JFK was torturous. I was even a little bored during my 6h layover in the Lufthansa FCT. I did this routing to fly LH F from FRA-ICN and OZ F ICN-JFK for Europe-NA mileage.

As much as it was nice to experience 2 great F products, I would not do this again. I'm leaning towards preferring more direct routings.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL,EK
FRA-JFK-NRT-SFO-RNO.

"About 8-10 Hrs in JFK, and 2-4 in NRT and SFO. This was NRSA trying to get home to Reno."

Originally Posted by tireman77
Not sure I understand the detour to NRT...
At JFK all the flights to SFO, LAX or anywhere else normal that would connect to RNO were way overbooked, but the gate agent said going via NRT was wide open, so I got Business Class JFK-NRT-SFO. It was NRSA (Employee Family) so I was using "write-your-own" tickets.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:59 pm

My longest in terms of miles is probably CMB-SIN-ICN-JFK-BOS.

My longest in terms of time was BUS-SEL-PDX-SLC-BOS. It was all supposed to happen in one day but the BUS-SEL flight was delayed so I missed the flight to PDX and spent the night in Seoul , having some great food to help pass the time. Flew to PDX the next day but the PDX-SLC flight was delayed so I missed the SLC-BOS flight. It was July 4th so I rented a car at SLC and drove into the city to watch the fireworks. The next day I finally made it back to BOS, almost 2 days later than originally scheduled.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Ooops. I think I did it again.

Upcoming trip home HIR-BNE-BKK-ICN-YVR-YYZ-YUL. Should beat my last longest trip by 3198 miles (gcmap). I'm hoping 2 flights on the 787 will make it better.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:47 am

Udaipur-Mumbai-London-Madrid-Granada. Though that last leg was a five-hour bus ride, so at least that was a change of scenery. As I remember it was about 40 hours altogether, with a longish layover after each leg.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
That would be my flights tomorrow to relocate to AKL.

FLL-LAX-NRT-SIN-AKL @ 16,343 miles according to Great Circle Mapper.

Blessedly, I am in VX F and SQ J. The itinerary is timed at 56 hrs 20 min, which would count as a form of torture in Y.

Originally Posted by ysolde
In Y? I would kill him.
Agreed. Slowly and painfully.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by stut
SYD-ITM-DTW-BOS-LGW - all in Y on NW. A rather painful 15k miles.
Which airline flew BOS-LGW? Or was it LGA?

OK. I really don't have much to throw out here, I think it's BLR-LHR-BOS with like a 7 hour connection in LHR. And I was 7 when I flew this. In Y.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
ATL-CDG-BLR-CCU, then back through BOM.

The return wasn't too bad, but outbound was nearly 24 hrs due to a 7 hour layover. To make things worse, the layover was in BLR overnight, where you're not even allowed into the domestic terminal until 2-3 hrs before your flight. I was thinking I'd be in a lounge but instead was literally waiting on the curb for 4 hours.
Ouch. Was this the old BLR (VOBG)? Or is it the new Kempegowda airport?

This seems like just bad rules. India can do many things, but it's just held back by bad decision making.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.