Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your long haul hand - baggage (carry-on) only tips...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:41 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Morning all,

I'm flying out to JNB this weekend for 48 hours.

I cannot justify taking a suitcase as I don't need a suit or anything long for my meetings in Johannesburg. I am therefore contemplating just taking hand - baggage.

I'm booked in CW, and am BAEC G, so weight is not a problem, however I've never not taken a suitcase for a long - haul flight.

Does anyone have any helpful tips or experience they could share?

M
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can easily go for 3 weeks with one carry-on bag, and that includes a laptop heftier than I would like and a netbook. I carry between 8 and 13 kgs. If it is heading towards 13 kgs I may put certain items into a small back pack, namely all "security checkable" items - so the liquids, computers and wires - so they can be swiftly tipped into a tray and my main bag can sail on into the scanner.

Don't take anything "just in case". No it won't snow in JNB while you are there. Everything you do take should definitely be needed. Should the unexpected happen then you have a credit card. So rather than take a big coat, I have a small 150g anorak with packs down to the size of my fist. It won't win any style awards but there again I wouldn't plan to stand in the pouring rain for long. For electrical charges, see if you can run the charging processes via your PC rather than getting loads of plugs.

I take running shoes with me, I've got extra light ones, again around 150g each, from Columbia. I pack small items into the feet area and squeeze them together into the bottom corner of the bag. Things like rubber band, small plastic sandwich bags and tie/wire wraps are also very useful to have around.

Don't forget to take a few things that make your life a little more comfortable. In my case it's small speakers for music, camping set of plastic knife, fork and spoon, and a coffee mug with coffee.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Would second CWS on this. You can generally get away with half of what you think you need. CWS seems to beat me on this, but I will do a 10-day trip with hand luggage only, including a suit. On top of that, I'm diabetic and have a fair amount of paraphernalia to treat that as well as the ubiquitous ultrabook and Kindle.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hand luggage only

I can't believe how one can do this, my husband and I are going away for 4 nights to Berlin on Thursday, we have been twice before and take 2 cases for the hold plus 2 carry on bags and use everything! Help!!!!!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:36 am

I do a week in JNB easily with hand baggage only and I'm a girl

If you're staying in a nice hotel then coffee, mugs etc etc are complete overkill!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
theres a good thread on this with some excellent tips in it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rag-rules.html
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by thatsthebadger
I do a week in JNB easily with hand baggage only and I'm a girl

If you're staying in a nice hotel then coffee, mugs etc etc are complete overkill!
I usually go hand baggage for up to a couple of weeks and I am a girl too!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Agree with most of the above (not the suggestion to pack cutlery and crockery though!).

Only have 2 pairs of footwear - the ones you wear while flying and one other.

Have a small bag inside the carry just in case need to gate check. Put in the small bag any medication, laptop, spare underwear and other items you may need en route (plus first day on arrival).
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:25 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Unless one is attending a "formal" function (requiring formal attire); you have to wear/use things which serve dual purposes. A 15" canvas type travel bag (with side compartments) can easily hold 5 changes of underwear, a shirt or two, travel utility kit (shaver, deodorant, toothbrush etc.) [Unless one is going to a remote area of the world, every city has shops for purchasing something you need, but forgot to take.]
In a travel guide (a long time ago), I came across the suggestion for first time travelers: make a list of the bare minimum you think you will need, take half of that.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by sapper188
I can't believe how one can do this, my husband and I are going away for 4 nights to Berlin on Thursday, we have been twice before and take 2 cases for the hold plus 2 carry on bags and use everything! Help!!!!!
You have a problem but i'm not quite sure what it is. Excessive desire for the perfect outfit perhaps?

Originally Posted by pinkcat
I usually go hand baggage for up to a couple of weeks and I am a girl too!
Same here. Though I am anything but a girly girl which probably helps - and i'm not accusing you of being Princess pinkcat.

I have the same bag as Corporate Wage Slave which has the twin advantages of Tardis like capacity and ultra-light weight.

I often roll up my clothes instead of/in addition to folding them which tends to reduce the space they take up and doesn't make any difference with the creasing. I don't do that to smart shirts though, they only get folded. I have a couple of stuff sacks one of which has all my laundry compressed into it whilst the other holds my clean underwear. I only take clothes which will stand this kind of abuse and will dry quickly if I have to wash them. Otherwise just accept that you will be re-wearing clothes, not wearing multiple clean outfits each day and may be doing laundry.

That said for a two day trip you should easily get everything you need into the hand luggage BA allows you.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
Your long haul hand - baggage only tips...

I go around the world every year (for the last 6 years) in.30 days and only take hand luggage...
only take whatever you absolutely cannot live without...and then halve it.
you have a cc if you need it.
it makes travel sooooo much less stressful.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:22 am

It seems a lot of folks create their packing list and then
purchase a bag in which everything will fit.

I do the opposite by picking the bag first that is the maximum
size I wish to carry.

Currently that bag is the Tom Bihn Aeronaut. I chose it because
it fits in the overheads on the RJs.

I lay out the items I wish to take... then review them critically
asking myself "Do I really need that?". I usually end up with
space to spare.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA GfL
See this thread for an exhaustive discussion of this topic.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
For something that short, I wear one set and pack one set.
Washable undies - lightweight and practical. Undershirt/Briefs/Socks
Unless absolutely necessary, don't pack an extra pair of shoes. If you do, wear the heaviest/bulkiest pair and pack the smaller/lighter pair

You'll be fine! I do it for 7-10 days.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Check the airline restrictions on carry-on weight. LH for example have a vary annoying habit to occasionally enforce their 8 kg policy on ORD-FRA...

Other from that - for short trips I travel with a suitcase that can be either carry-on or go checked - mainly so I can check it on the way back if I care too; with the laptop bad or backpack as a personal item. Anything under a week means the small suitcase -- although I usually check it in just so I do not need to drag it on airports

Other from that - make sure that all clothes fit with each other; leave home the heavy jacket if you won't need it; get something that layers on top of thinner clothes and still matches the pants/skirts And do not carry anything that needs extra care - a fast iron is one thing but more than that is too much. A few t-shirts take almost no space and are useful for last day and trip and cases where coffee gets on your clothes

And it usually helps to pull all the clothes you plan to take and put them on the bed/sofa/something before you pack - then get half of them back on the drawers/wardrobe when you realize you have enough clothes for a week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.