Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your long haul hand - baggage (carry-on) only tips...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your long haul hand - baggage (carry-on) only tips...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:07 pm

Carry-on only no matter how long the trip unless I'm going somewhere that I have absolutely no chance of doing laundry or somewhere very, very cold. I can't even imagine checking a bag for a weekend trips. My B&R carry-on isn't even close to full for a weekend and I carry makeup and all kind of hair styling crap. In fact, my carry-on is in the overhead right now (thanks go-go) and it's for today through Sunday including a dress and shoes for a wedding on Saturday.

My tip for long term travel is to take basics that work together well. I will pack a few pairs of jeans and various black shirts. I use scarves that pack very small to differentiate outfits. My shoes are small but I limit them as much as possible to two pairs at most and maybe one pair of flip flops if going somewhere really warm. Laundry. For week long trips, I do my best to find a hotel with some sort of laundry facility or I hand wash myself if overseas. I just drove across country last year (third time), two weeks in a sports car with barely any luggage as I just stayed in places like Hilton Garden Inn that have coin laundry. I would stay somewhere really upscale in the big cities and then somewhere practical to do laundry after that.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:47 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

I have a tenancy to fit everything in my 50L bag, even for a 2 week Euro trip in December...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I can pack for up to 2 weeks as hand baggage (suitcase + personal item) with a 50 pound bag. I've never been weighed, but if they do I will probably have some explaining to do. I could probably go longer if I could guarantee access to laundry - I've just never had to.

I limit colors (3 max per trip) and shoes (wear the heaviest pair). You will not need this for a 48 hour trip - but Space Bags or Eagle Creek Compression Sacks are a lifesaver and have allowed me to pack for 2 weeks without a problem.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:37 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Venabili
Check the airline restrictions on carry-on weight. LH for example have a vary annoying habit to occasionally enforce their 8 kg policy on ORD-FRA...
Not relevant to the OP [BA have no limit on carry-on weight] but I find that using a small backpack rather than a wheely removes the risk of getting weighed. I flew ET out of London last week, and was made to sign an acknowledgement at checkin that my carry-on allowance was 7kg, and that I would be charged GBP10 for every kilo over. At the gate, they were weighing all the wheelies, and I was waved past with my small backpack.

I have been using it for the last year on multiple weeklong trips (actually going to do a short TR for this one) - the other advantage of a backpack over a wheely is you can keep moving when pavements/roads/other flat surfaces are in short supply:

http://www.antler.co.uk/backpacks/urbanite-backpack
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:12 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Not relevant to the OP [BA have no limit on carry-on weight]
BA does have a limit for carry-on, although it is 23kg.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Packing clothes that can be worn more than once help a lot. It's not always possible, though. When I am working (meeting clients) I will not wear the same shirt for two days without a wash. Also, on some trips I'm doing two different activities (e.g., meeting clients during the week and hiking in the mountains on the weekend) or visiting different climates so I need 2 separate sets of clothing. That makes it difficult to travel with only hand baggage.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The OP is talking about 48 hours and casual. It wouldn't occur to me to do anything other than a carryon.

All the OP needs is a couple shirts and underwear/socks in terms of clothing. Wear the same casual trousers of your choice and just change your top. Throw in your "freedom baggie" your laptop/phone, chargers, and something to read and you're good to go. As long as my shoes are comfortable and broken in I don't even take a spare pair for that short of a trip.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Carry-on

I have an ultra-lightweight carryon spinner (mine is Titan) I use for most any travel less than a week or so. I have a back so much prefer to roll any suitcase than carry a bag on my shoulder. I still have to gate check on the small regional planes, but that would be true for almost anything larger than a briefcase. I also often take a lightweight parachute cloth briefcase - I've picked up several as conference swag - that can hold electronics and papers. However, for really short trips, I bought the largest size LL Bean canvas boat tote with a zipper top to hold a day's worth of clothes and electronics. I'd only do carry-ons for a 48 hour trip anyway because if anything goes wrong, you will be lucky to get your checked bag before you have to return.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by milepig
Wear the same casual trousers of your choice and just change your top.
And when you spill your coffee on Day 1, you are left with no options
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Venabili
And when you spill your coffee on Day 1, you are left with no options
But there are always options.

- purchase new trousers
- find laundry facility and wash
- continue to wear coffee stained trousers
- add more stains and claim it is camouflage wear
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Paul56
But there are always options.

- purchase new trousers
- find laundry facility and wash
- continue to wear coffee stained trousers
- add more stains and claim it is camouflage wear
The first two options are the most reasonable ones, of course. And option 1-- recognizing that you can buy a replacement if an unlikely problem occurs-- is a perfectly reasonable form of planning ahead. I've done that numerous times when a pair of pants get ruined or I realize I've forgotten to pack something like a belt or a tie. It's much more sensible than packing a backup copy of everything "just in case" on a short trip.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: EuroBonus
My problem occurs when I (as is often the case) is travelling for scout camp AND city vacation. This issue is coming up quickly for the summer again. I just don't like being at the Smithsonian looking like a hobo with my backcountry clothing! Although wearing a t-shirt with some scout print on it seems to lessen the stares a bit.

Often for weekend camp, I'll borrow a tent and a knife on arrival, in which case carry-on is fine, even on those pesky European airlines. However, this went so far that friends (only somewhat joking) offered me a space for a box of gear at their house that they could then just pull and bring to camp for me...

But I do struggle with the mixed-use trips, and if I want to bring the DSLR with addons, carry-on only goes out the window completely, unless it is a city break in a hotel.

DanishFlyer
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The first two options are the most reasonable ones, of course. And option 1-- recognizing that you can buy a replacement if an unlikely problem occurs-- is a perfectly reasonable form of planning ahead. I've done that numerous times when a pair of pants get ruined or I realize I've forgotten to pack something like a belt or a tie. It's much more sensible than packing a backup copy of everything "just in case" on a short trip.
If you are a standard size, that will work -- and I rarely pack second pair of shoes on short trips for exactly that reason. Clothes get a bit more complicated.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
48 hours is very doable, even with extras "just in case". But a week, in my view, is ridiculous. First off, on a week's trip, checking in a bag will add only the tiniest amount to journey time. (Thinking about my last 3 trips to the USA, in each case - six flights - my bag was waiting for me at the carousel by the time I got there). Second, given that the bag is not going to delay you, why not prepare for contingencies - the extra shirt, the extra trousers, the slightly smarter attire in case you judge the occasion wrong etc. Assuming you are doing proper business, you don't want to present as some form of slob.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
In addition to my carry-on daypack which holds my laptop, ipad, kindle, glasses, chargers, liquids, food, etc. -

Here's what I pack in my 21" B&R carry-on for a 2 week business trip:
  • 3 pair light dress slacks
  • 1 blazer
  • 1 belt
  • 5 dress shirts (folded)
  • 6 underwear
  • 6 dress socks
  • 2 sports socks
  • 2 athletic tank tops/1 shorts (for gym)
  • 2 ls mock or ss polo (depending on dest)
  • Swimsuit & Shorts (depending on destination)
  • Dopp kit packed with pharmaceuticals and toiletries

Wear on plane: jeans, sneakers, fleece or heavy overcoat (depending on destination)

After 4 days (or when I have a couple of nights in the same hotel) I send out laundry - repeat as necessary.

The dopp kit and shoes take a huge % of space but I like to work out if I have the energy.

I never, ever, check luggage on a business trip - well, except on Qantas which limits hand baggage to ridiculous 7kg or something. It is a bit of a hassle sometimes to worry about laundry but that's offset by the time saved at baggage claim. I've seen colleagues spend hours going back to the airport to pick up delayed bags, or worse waiting a day or two for delivery. That doesn't work for me as sometimes I hit 4 cities on a 1-2 week trip with only 2-3 nights each.

Now vacation is a whole different matter, I don't hesitate to check luggage if I am spending a week at a resort. Not too difficult to buy t-shirts and swimsuit if you need them, though I have yet to do so.

Last edited by Boraxo; May 4, 2014 at 12:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.