Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Huff Post Article, Airline Customer is NOT always right...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Huff Post Article, Airline Customer is NOT always right...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
Smile Huff Post Article, Airline Customer is NOT always right...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alexan...b_5145636.html

Outlines why "The Customer is Always Right" is wrong. Quotes two airline CEO's, saying that some customers are more problematic for a company and should just be let go.

I liked it, though I have always thought that line was complete BS...

Quite a good read.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
We are a LONG way away from Gordon's mentality now. Jeff hates customers and employees, but as the customer brings money, he hates the employees slightly more. Current United doesn't stand behind any employee, any customer or any of their policies.

Everything that happens is not their fault.

1. No music on AVOD due to unpaid Bill for recording rights - Not their fault of course, and months go by with no music. Sticking to their guns, not bending, and as such, no music for the customer.

2. Delays for mechanicals, late crews, catering, etc are all ... not their fault. They'll just list them as weather and avoid paying out compensation.

3. Getting the 737-900's delivered dark with no entertainment and crap seats because they are in a lawsuit with the seat maker. Years have passed, yet (again) United sticking to their guns, offering a sub-par product (often on 6h transcons) because they'll not back down to anyone... because (again), it's not their fault.

4. Not their fault that they don't get around to paying refunds on-time. The DOT fined them a fortune for it not being their fault...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
they're right....

But sometimes the customer is actually right.

I feel bad for the employees who have to put out the product that management has decided worthy of those who pay for 'premium' product on United.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
1. No music on AVOD due to unpaid Bill for recording rights - Not their fault of course, and months go by with no music. Sticking to their guns, not bending, and as such, no music for the customer.
There's an obvious solution to this. Get the pilots to sing (public domain) songs on Channel 9.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jorgen
There's an obvious solution to this. Get the pilots to sing (public domain) songs on Channel 9.
Love it! Except if they are particularly bad at singing... then maybe comedy routines?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by entropy
they're right....

But sometimes the customer is actually right.

I feel bad for the employees who have to put out the product that management has decided worthy of those who pay for 'premium' product on United.
I see both sides of it... But once a customer becomes irrational, even if the original problem was not that irrational, they are a lost cause...

Like complaining to Southwest because you don't like open seating... LOST CAUSE!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
5% of customers cause 90% of the problems. I say let 'em go.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I couldn't agree more but the article never addresses the issue of what to do if you have poor employees....
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I couldn't agree more but the article never addresses the issue of what to do if you have poor employees....
United certainly won the poll today for rudest flight attendants in North America. I didn't check the results in the last few hours, but they were more than double everyone else when I last checked.

Apologists will say the poll means nothing, they'll say that the thousand odd posts per hour on twitter of people exasperated with United also doesn't matter. The fact that they were voted worst major airline in America doesn't matter, the fact that they cancel the most flights doesn't matter...

Nothing matters, it's NOT their fault
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Well, it kind of does...

It says if you put your employees first, they will then provide better service. If you stand behind your employees, they will be happy at work, and pass that happiness onto the customer. It makes sense...

sUA management treated their employees like crap, and their customer service showed over the last 15 years...

sCO (pre-SMI/J) treated the employees well, empowered them, and stood behind them. That also showed, with significantly better customer service than UA/DL/AA/US etc.

Also, look at Southwest, they treat their employees fairly well and they are "the darling" airline that everyone "seems" to love.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by lalalandMCI
Well, it kind of does...

It says if you put your employees first, they will then provide better service. If you stand behind your employees, they will be happy at work, and pass that happiness onto the customer. It makes sense...

sUA management treated their employees like crap, and their customer service showed over the last 15 years...

sCO (pre-SMI/J) treated the employees well, empowered them, and stood behind them. That also showed, with significantly better customer service than UA/DL/AA/US etc.

Also, look at Southwest, they treat their employees fairly well and they are "the darling" airline that everyone "seems" to love.
I understand your point - but given that line of reasoning doesn't the article also seem to point to the fact that the reason employees get that way is that the company has been prioritizing customers over employees?

I would be hard pressed to see that this is what has been going on at UA these days LOL... It's not that UA puts customers first (over employees) - they honestly don't seem to care about either one!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Or do like Delta did, pay the money to have AVOD music for their customers then figure it out in court with the provider that is at fault.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

I understand your point - but given that line of reasoning doesn't the article also seem to point to the fact that the reason employees get that way is that the company has been prioritizing customers over employees?

I would be hard pressed to see that this is what has been going on at UA these days LOL... It's not that UA puts customers first (over employees) - they honestly don't seem to care about either one!
Like said earlier, or in another thread, I can't remember... UA seems to hate both Customers and employees, but since customers spend money, they hate them a little less.

But I don't think the current situation is nearly as bad as everyone says it is. Granted I am not a thoroughly experienced flyer with UA yet, but I flew CO more times than I could count when they were SkyTeam. CO always seems to have wonderful employees, though there were always the few bad apples.

I have learned quickly in my travels at the new UA, that those bad apples are the EXCEPTION, and not the rule.

However, it does seem that the company's distaste for its employees seems to be stirring some issues which do get vented in the direction of customers. I have had several bad experiences, but many good ones as well.
I will say that ORD is one of the worst places on the face of the earth, those agents need to be on some kind of medication that makes them think they are all out fishing or something, its ridiculous.

I do believe that if you treat the employees right, and don't try to find ways to screw them (by making crazy policies that they have to enforce), they will then pass that good attitude on to those they encounter. (paying passengers, or passersby)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The article has some good points, but United takes it to the other extreme and believes the customer is always wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lalalandMCI
Well, you really haven't been following the huge labor issues facing Southwest and all the "sick" time issues in the news......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.