Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: LH HON
1. Bell Hop Takes your Bag to Your Room: 1$ per bag

2. Housekeeping on a ONE NIGHT (in-and-out) stay: 1$

3. Housekeeping (per night or at end) on a multi-night stay: 1-2$

5. Valet takes your car: none

6. Valet goes and gets your car: 2$

7. Concierge helps you out: 1-2$

8. Front Desk person goes above and beyond (scores a great suite, slips you drink tickets, etc.): 5-10$

9. Wait Staff when they have already included a 20% tip on the bill: 1$

10. Club Lounge Attendant: get off

11. Server when you are at a buffet (they bring coffee, juice, then bring bill): 1-2$
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I don't. I tip according to what I can afford. Just because I'm staying in Timbuktu where the standard tip for housekeeping might be 50 cents a night I won't lower what I would tip.

On many trips I have had regrets. They weren't regrets that I wish I had seen more, eaten at better or different restaurants, shopped more etc. I wish I had given a bigger tip to people working so hard just to make ends meet and support their family.
Originally Posted by emma69
That, in turn, can lead to very wonky economics, where doctors are paid far less than an all inclusive resort's housekeeper or bar tender. One of the biggest complaints I see from people is how tourists (especially American) screw up local economies with tipping far more than is common locally. It can also lead to multi-tier service - if you are from a country that typically doesn't tip, the country you are in typically doesn't tip (or tips small amounts) and you have a group of people who tip excessively (compared to local standards) people like waitresses are not stupid, and will provide quicker / better / preferrential services to those nationalities known for bigger tipping.
Originally Posted by cbn42
That's a rather arrogant attitude to have. You're basically saying "I don't really care what your culture or tradition says, I'm going to do it my way."
Completely agree. It's very sad that a small percentage of travelers decide to do this as, over time, it really does start to screw things up for locals and future visitors alike. What on the face of it looks and feels like a "kind gesture" at the time really does no-one any favors in the long run.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: SQ Gold, SPG Plat
I live in Asia and I hate the guesswork in tipping. Thats why I am grateful when establishments here impose a fixed service charge which removes any "face" issue in case one under-tips. In restaurants that don't impose service charge, I will tip a minimum of 5~10%, up to a max of 15% for stellar service. In some countries, however, such as Japan, Taiwan and Korea, tips are not expected.

The answers below are for USA/Canada/Europe/Australia:
1. Bell Hop Takes your Bag to Your Room: I mostly carry my own bags, even my road bike if I am traveling with my "beloved". But if I am had no choice but to use the Bell Hop, its $1/bag and only if they swiftly deliver it to my room without me chasing for it.

2. Housekeeping on a ONE NIGHT (in-and-out) stay: Zero. They are doing their job. My experience, its usually a different cleaner each day,

3. Housekeeping (per night or at end) on a multi-night stay: Zero. They are doing their job.

4. Housekeeping on a multi-night stay when you do SPG Green Choice or decline housekeeping (say 5 nights) What do you tip at end of stay? Zero. They are doing their job and I am doing them a favour (one less room to clean).

5. Valet takes your car: Zero. They are doing their job.

6. Valet goes and gets your car: If I am already charged for valet then Zero. Otherwise $1-2.

7. Concierge helps you out: I will write an appreciation note to the GM if service was outstanding. Personally I find concierge desk clueless and useless in most hotels.

8. Front Desk person goes above and beyond (scores a great suite, slips you drink tickets, etc.): I will write an appreciation note to the GM if service was outstanding.

9. Wait Staff when they have already included a 20% tip on the bill: Zero. Tips are in the bill

10. Club Lounge Attendant: I will write an appreciation note to the GM if service was outstanding.

11. Server when you are at a buffet (they bring coffee, juice, then bring bill). Zero. They are doing their job.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
1. Bell Hop Takes your Bag to Your Room: I always carry my own bags.

2. Housekeeping on a ONE NIGHT (in-and-out) stay: Nothing.

3. Housekeeping (per night or at end) on a multi-night stay: Nothing -- all they have to do is re-make the bed and replace the towels and toiletries. I never leave any kind of mess in the room.

4. Housekeeping on a multi-night stay when you do SPG Green Choice or decline housekeeping (say 5 nights) What do you tip at end of stay? Same as #3.

5. Valet takes your car: On the extremely rare occasions when I have to do this, I'll give the guy a few bucks. I consider it protection money for my car ; )

6. Valet goes and gets your car: $3 - $5 depending on how long I have to wait.

7. Concierge helps you out: Entirely situation-dependent. Depends on the value-added.

8. Front Desk person goes above and beyond (scores a great suite, slips you drink tickets, etc.): Something like a higher floor or allegedly better view, nothing. An upgrade to a room that would have cost me more had I booked it directly -- usually $20.

9. Wait Staff when they have already included a 20% tip on the bill: Nothing.

10. Club Lounge Attendant: $3 - $5.

11. Server when you are at a buffet (they bring coffee, juice, then bring bill). $3 - $5.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
1. Bell Hop Takes your Bag to Your Room: Will never happen as long as I'm able to lift my own bags. And since I must, at one point, have dragged them out of the house myself, there's a good chance I'll still be able to when arriving at destination

2. Housekeeping on a ONE NIGHT (in-and-out) stay: Nothing, regardless of duration of stay. I don't get a tip for showing up for work either

3. Housekeeping (per night or at end) on a multi-night stay: See above

4. Housekeeping on a multi-night stay when you do SPG Green Choice or decline housekeeping (say 5 nights) What do you tip at end of stay? See above. I generally place the 'do not disturb' sign as the very first thing, and unless it's an extended stay (+1 week) it stays put until I leave. I don't need the room cleaned any more than I would my own house, and as a grown man am perfectly able to do my own bed. Will only call them if I run out of things like shampoo or soap, otherwise leave my room alone please

5. Valet takes your car: Valet is minding his job, see 2

6. Valet goes and gets your car: See above

7. Concierge helps you out: See above

8. Front Desk person goes above and beyond (scores a great suite, slips you drink tickets, etc.): Front desk person does his job and recognizes me as a gold card holder. Good for him or her, the alternative would be me having a conversation with the manager

9. Wait Staff when they have already included a 20% tip on the bill: 20% tip on the bill, what kind of utter madness is that? They would get a tip of the round sum of Zero, and never see me entering the establishment again

10. Club Lounge Attendant: About the same as the pool boy. A big fat zero

11. Server when you are at a buffet (they bring coffee, juice, then bring bill). A smile and thank you will suffice, I should think
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I tip the server at the full serve restaurant buffet as I normally would a full service restaurant. I find that the servers work just as hard clearing off my ten plates and serving me beverages.

If a continental breakfast available for everyone who is a guest, I'll slip some bills to the attendant.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
What Do You Tip in Certain Situations?

Tipping needs to die. Pay the servers regular wages, not this tipped wage madness.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by D582
8. Front Desk person goes above and beyond (scores a great suite, slips you drink tickets, etc.): Nothing. That could also look like a bribe
Isn't that the point?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Interesting that most posters don't seem to tip for valet parking. Is that because there's generally a fee for valet parking vs. self-parking? I've always assumed that, in U.S. hotels anyway, the valet guys/gals aren't seeing any of the parking fee, so they are more or less reliant on tips. I've always tipped a buck or two upon receiving the car (generally I don't tip when I drop it off). Based on the replies here, I'm doing it wrong.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 318i
Originally Posted by D582
8. Front Desk person goes above and beyond (scores a great suite, slips you drink tickets, etc.): Nothing. That could also look like a bribe
Isn't that the point?
Which is why some countries and cultures are genuinely offended by tips and the idea that they can be bought.

Of course that guy many posts above who tips everywhere based on US standards has no concept of this.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:35 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Interesting that most posters don't seem to tip for valet parking. Is that because there's generally a fee for valet parking vs. self-parking? I've always assumed that, in U.S. hotels anyway, the valet guys/gals aren't seeing any of the parking fee, so they are more or less reliant on tips. I've always tipped a buck or two upon receiving the car (generally I don't tip when I drop it off). Based on the replies here, I'm doing it wrong.
They aren't seeing any of the parking fee, but they are seeing a salary from their employer, are they not?

I don't know if they are considered a customarily tipped profession that can be paid a lower-than-minimum-wage salary in some states.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Tipping needs to die. Pay the servers regular wages, not this tipped wage madness.
+1.

It's reminiscent of the Middle Ages, when the Master of the House only could be sure of good service if he tossed his servants the occasional coin
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Which is why some countries and cultures are genuinely offended by tips and the idea that they can be bought.

Of course that guy many posts above who tips everywhere based on US standards has no concept of this.
I think it was an Australian woman, but still...
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I've been tipping the valet but not the housekeeper, so I must have missed the memo as well...
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by onobond
+1.

It's reminiscent of the Middle Ages, when the Master of the House only could be sure of good service if he tossed his servants the occasional coin
And it's always the same few posters who appear on tipping threads with a condescending master/servant attitude towards certain people.

I'm not impressed with the boasting, or the attitude that people working in certain industries are beneath them.

To be clear, I'm not against tipping in a tipping culture (although I too wish that the US would change) However, some people really act as if they are giving the poor peasants something for which they should be grateful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.