Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I know it was you, 17D, coughing and sneezing....

I know it was you, 17D, coughing and sneezing....

Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:10 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Damn right. The hand-sanitizer freaks need to comprehend that travelling in public carries with it certain risks. So does going to the mall, eating in a restaurant, seeing a movie or any one of a dozen other activities that bring you in close contact with other people.

You can wear a mask if you are that afraid of what flies in the air. Do not attempt to force me to wear one. That won't end well. Achooooo!
Some studies have shown that using hand-sanitizers may actually be "bad" for your health--they kill both good and bad bacteria...read: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/16/health...-toxic-upwave/

PS: In general "our" fear of bacteria, have people taking too many antibiotics, leading to "super bugs", which are resistant to many of the "super antibiotics".
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Most airlines have something in their small print along the lines of:
Got something contagious that will likely infect your fellow passengers? Then we reserve the right to refuse you aboard.

It's time they start enforcing that.

If someone sneezes their bugs around before takeoff, do the right thing and ask the airline to kick the vat of germs out.

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
You cannot see a doctor for no good reason easily in the UK. It is clearly not an emergency room issue either.
Tell 'em you've been in any of these places within the last 12 months and they'll treat even the tiniest little bit of fever as a potential medical emergency.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Diabo
If someone sneezes their bugs around before takeoff, do the right thing and ask the airline to kick the vat of germs out.
Because you can tell the difference between an allergic sneeze and an infectious one just by being near it...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:10 pm

In the case of the topic starter, it was pretty clear. That sneezing seatmate shouldn't have flown.

If it's not clear, it's the sneezer's responsibility to convince the airline that he's not spraying anything contagious around.

Last edited by Diabo; Apr 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Ugh. I've been coughing the last 10 days due to 2 kids coughing for 8 hours behind me. Would be nice for some common kindness.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Hvr
Hmmm, just imagine a person walking down the street with a face mask on and hands in their pockets. The cops would be called in about 2 seconds and their first words to him, with their guns drawn would be something along the lines of 'take your hands out verrry slowly and then get on the ground'.
Have you ever been in Hong Kong or in Tokyo?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I got a nasty cold last month right after a US Airways flight out of Philly. I was convinced it was because of the guy behind me coughing the whole time, but who knows...

When we had small children, who have a higher probability of having a minor sickness that would make travel miserable for us or others, we purposely booked our domestic U.S. tickets on Southwest...solely because we knew we would never be forced to start a trip sick. We canceled 2 or 3 trips during those years: if one of the kids was feeling crappy on a Thursday night and we're supposed to fly out Friday to visit grandparents or whatever...no biggie, we'll just defer the trip, typically 4-6 weeks. None of our trips were so urgent they *had* to be flown exactly then.

I'm not a huge fan of what Southwest has become in the past 5 years, but at least this feature still exists - the ability to freely cancel or change any fare.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
This is is my pet peeve

I am not an extreme germophobe, I understand people get sick and can't always afford to change their plans, etc.--but what I find completely objectionable are the people who sit there sneezing, coughing etc. with never once trying to use a tissue, or their sleeve. etc. For goodness sakes, ask the attendant for some tissues and use them! Sneeze into your sleeve!

I do wish the flight attendants had the masks and handed them to these people to wear--or for those of us near them.

Thanks for posting the 29E letter! Hysterical!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AudiFanatic
Dear 17D who travelled AS507 last Wednesday from SNA>SEA, the one guy on the plane who was sweating, shivering, coughing everywhere, hacking a lung, sneezing into your hands and touching everything around you and dripping snot everywhere. Yes you, I know it was you! I was seated next to you and wanted to thank you for giving me whatever it was you had, because Friday-Tues were a real treat. I especially loved sleeping in my home-office, so I wouldn’t get my 4 month old sick. The best part was waking up each morning in a puddle of sweat and wearing 5 layers of clothes during the day and still feeling cold.

I travel every week and feel very fortunate for my health. If I’m sick, I don’t travel…but that’s ridiculously responsible right? Aside from being sick 17D, you looked extremely unhealthy anyway and if it were up to me, I would’ve required you to buy an extra seat and I'd call you 17D/E. The next time you travel sick 17D, think about others and how it might impact them.

Oh and to the amazing Alaska FA who kept asking 17D to cover his mouth, thanks for your efforts ^ 
You should have gotten your flu shot. Had you done that, what you're complaining about would not have happened.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by ou81two
You should have gotten your flu shot. Had you done that, what you're complaining about would not have happened.
Getting a flu shot does not guarantee that you won't get the flu. It merely minimizes your chances of doing so.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:56 pm

There are plenty of diseases that make you sneeze your lungs all over the place. Who says 17D had the flu?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are plenty of diseases that make you sneeze your lungs all over the place. Who says 17D had the flu?
It's also an allergic symptom. Indeed, sneezing alone without a cough or other sign of illness I'm usually going going to assume is allergies.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:19 am

In a plane with 200 people from all over the world I wouldn't limit my diagnosis to flu and allergies alone.

In a thin metal tube with so many people packed together any sneeze is suspect until proven innocent.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a plane with 200 people from all over the world I wouldn't limit my diagnosis to flu and allergies alone.

In a thin metal tube with so many people packed together any sneeze is suspect until proven innocent.
Your choice to worry, or not to worry. In the end, there's very little you can do about it either way.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:15 am

Remember when the asian bird flu was having a party all over the world? Lots of people were refused aboard by airlines in those days. I've seen people being denied aboard after other passengers expressed their concerns.

If your seatmate is spraying snot all over the place, there's definitely something you can do. You just have to act before the plane starts moving.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.