Search

Swimming pool etiquettes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:44 am
swy
Original Poster

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Swimming pool etiquettes

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but...

So how are you supposed to use the hotel swimming pools? (I am talking about higher end properties) There are several questions:

* when you go to the swimming pool, can you just go in your swimming trunks/suits? Or are you supposed to somewhat cover up and change at the swimming pool?
* there was a bath robe, some towels, and plastic slippers in the assigned locker, but I wasn't sure if they should only be used inside the swimming pool area. More specifically, after you are done, can you go back to your room with some or all of those? It'd seem more logical to wear the bath robe and the slippers, instead of keeping the wet swimming trunks, but it would be great to make sure...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
And there was me thinking this was going to be about running, bombing and heavy petting! ;-)
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:22 pm

I guess if you really wanted to traipse across the lobby wet you could conceivably do that and they probably wouldn't say anything. I normally go in street clothes, change in the locker room, then change back when leaving, but YMMV
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
I guess if you really wanted to traipse across the lobby wet you could conceivably do that and they probably wouldn't say anything. I normally go in street clothes, change in the locker room, then change back when leaving, but YMMV
Very few places I stay at have locker rooms associated with their swimming pools. Most, however, have access to the pool that does not require walking through the main lobby.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Very few places I stay at have locker rooms associated with their swimming pools. Most, however, have access to the pool that does not require walking through the main lobby.
That's a good point, I guess - we don't know exactly what sort of property he is referring to. I was thinking of properties that have an integrated pool, fitness center, sauna complex where you're required to sign in and get a towel, etc. You're right though, there are many places with outdoor pools that don't require traversing the lobby.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
#1 Rule: No Speedos.

Otherwise, just make sure you aren't dripping on the floors, and go in your swimsuit or any way else you like. It is a resort, after all.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
What ever fits the bill and you're comfortable.. if traversing through the main halls towards the swimming pool, if there are no change rooms. And as long as its legal and acceptable.

In a 4 or 5 * hotel I would put on a robe and slippers going down to the swimming pool.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
#1 Rule: No Speedos.

Otherwise, just make sure you aren't dripping on the floors, and go in your swimsuit or any way else you like. It is a resort, after all.
I wish people followed that rule, seems like during tourist season in florida that half the guys are rocking the speedo.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta, United
1. Wear a suit to the pool.
2. Continue to wear said suit while in the pool.
3. Minimize the PDA.
4. Don't pee in the pool.

As for the OP's question. No changing at the pool unless they have a shower facility and even if they did I would probably return to the room to shower so not bring stuff for the pool side shower (soap and shampoo).

That said I wear a shirt and something on my feet (an of course my suit). Wife does the same except she wears a wrap.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
4. Don't pee in the pool.
Why not?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I sometimes put on clothes over my swimsuit to wear through the lobby or public areas, depending on the location. My swimsuit is *not* very conservative.

I'd disregard all of this if you're just going to wander through in something that looks like board shorts.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by swy
* when you go to the swimming pool, can you just go in your swimming trunks/suits? Or are you supposed to somewhat cover up and change at the swimming pool?
Depends on the formality of the hotel and the path to the pool. If it's a hotel with a long interior path, I'd wear a T-shirt down. At a resort, or a motel... basically any place with exterior paths to the pool or a very short interior path, I wouldn't bother.

* there was a bath robe, some towels, and plastic slippers in the assigned locker, but I wasn't sure if they should only be used inside the swimming pool area. More specifically, after you are done, can you go back to your room with some or all of those? It'd seem more logical to wear the bath robe and the slippers, instead of keeping the wet swimming trunks, but it would be great to make sure...
I've never seen that, but I've usually seen things saying "pool towels are not to be removed from the pool are" and I'd imagine the rules are similar.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
most places Ive stayed have pool towels available... Id just wrap one round me if traversing public areas still in swimsuit....
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I sometimes put on clothes over my swimsuit to wear through the lobby or public areas, depending on the location. My swimsuit is *not* very conservative.
Well, here is to hoping you are a woman. Barring that, I am a bit concerned/curious as to what a non-conservative men's bathing suit looks like.

To answer the OP's question we need to know the location of the hotel. Europe is far different to Asia, which is far different to South America, which is totally different to the USA.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
OP's questions address norms of physical appearance. I am much more concerned about pool etiquette that relates to hygiene and safety. For example:

1. Don't bring children wearing diapers into an adult pool. You don't trust them not to soil their pants, so I can't trust them not to soil the water I'm bathing in.

2. Don't bring glass cups or bottles into the pool area. Little accidents happen, and broken glass in an area where there's water and lots of bare feet is a severe problem.

3. Control your children not to run or jump in crowded areas. Some of the adults in the pool are there for therapeutic reasons, not to have kids colliding with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.