Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do costlier hotels have fewer features?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do costlier hotels have fewer features?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Properties charging $15/day for WiFi are doing so because they can. There is no rational relationship between each aspect of service and the charges imposed. Properties charge $45 for room service breakfast because they find that's the price point at which people stop paying.

As to whether it's tax-deductible, who makes the decision? It's OK to deduct the cost of WiFi, but not a boiled egg through room service? The boiled egg is OK, but not eggs Benedict?
Boy, that's an easy one- IRS. And no, it would not be based on food choice. US Government employees and contractors (copied by many private companies) use a thoroughly researched per diem system based on locale. So much for the day's meals; over that, the traveler pays unless there is justification. The same could be done for travel business expenses- stay within limit or you (or shareholders) pay; the company can decide which way to go on that.

Why should the rest of us pay for someone's casual, "Oh, I'll just expense that?"
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Large companies have well defined per diems in place, along with lists of preferred hotels, usually with pre negotiated rates. For example, I may stay at a full service Hotel, but be paying only $110 per night.

Small and medium sized companies may not have negotiated rates, but for sure they will have upper limits for hotel rates. I don't understand which businesses are allowing their employees to stay at super expensive full service hotels. Boutique advertising firms? Specialized, small consulting firms? Anyone want to admit to it? Willing to share a company name?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:08 am

This is why I stay at luxury properties where I have brand loyalty. I've enjoyed plenty of free breakfasts, surfed a lot of free Internet and enjoyed fantastic upgrades at Conrads, Ritz, W=A, etc.

But as others have pointed out, most people with no loyalty who are staying at these properties don't care. They either have the money to spare or are on a special occasion and aren't counting the dollars. And I can attest to company rates at luxury properties. My last stay for work was $90 for a room that went for about $320 on the open market. I paid for breakfast, no one cared.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
The last hotel that I stayed at I let them know in no uncertain terms that I consider it gouging, especially when they charged 25 Euros a day for service which was not lightning fast.

If you don't complain, it will never change.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
The last hotel that I stayed at I let them know in no uncertain terms that I consider it gouging, especially when they charged 25 Euros a day for service which was not lightning fast.

If you don't complain, it will never change.
Make sure you do it on review sites if you feel their attention to your issue is not appropriate. Most hotels live for their reviews and what ranking they are on such sites. Just make sure that you are detailed, because then the review has a lot more credibility. I am sure most of us here look at reviews when making our choices.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:06 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
That's my biggest pet peeve. I expect free internet at a hotel to be a minimal bandwidth service, but for $15-20/day I expect something closer to a home connection that's fast enough for one Netflix stream.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Hoteliergal
Make sure you do it on review sites if you feel their attention to your issue is not appropriate. Most hotels live for their reviews and what ranking they are on such sites. Just make sure that you are detailed, because then the review has a lot more credibility. I am sure most of us here look at reviews when making our choices.
I did.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:06 am

Luxury hotels should make all guests (even first time guests) feel as if they are valued and special. Charging only some guests excessively for add-ons that are near necessities does the opposite. On the other hand, high charges for optional services (mini-bar, laundry) don't bother me.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
A little OT, but, before I lived in China, I was asked by my company to host a delegation of senior Chinese officials. I contacted them and was told they wanted to stay at a local Holiday Inn Express. I was shocked, and even asked for confirmation, which they sent. I booked them into the HI Express and even went over to look at it. It was a typical U.S. HI Express. When I took them to the hotel, I told them I could move them if they had a problem, but they said they were OK. The next morning, I picked them up and was a little ashamed. They said nothing, but I could sense they were surprised by the quality. After I moved to China, I realized that Holiday Inn Express hotels in China are real good - high three-star or so. I suspect they thought they were getting that in the U.S.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Teabags

Not too long ago I stayed in a private semi-detached villa at a fancy resort (private patio, pool, tennis, etc).
When I noticed that I only received two new teabags every night, I asked I they please could provide a few more as I am a heavy tea drinker.
They flatly refused unless I paid $2.50 per tea bag extra!

I was totally shocked. Arguing did not help. Eventually, I just bought a box of tea bags in the nearby convenience store.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Over the past few months it looks like some major chains have started offering free wifi. Hilton is latest:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...n-august-2015/

Good improvement, now on to breakfast.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Good. I choose my hotels because of wifi/breakfast as well. As long as it is a decent chain, I would go with smaller brand if these things come free.
I guess your "free hotel breakfast" experience has been better than mine. Even where it's a "hot breakfast", I've never experienced one that I thought was any good. Combined with the fact that I'm not a big breakfast person, I'll take the upscale hotel experience over a "free breakfast" any day.

And I get free wi-fi with my status, so, for the time being, I don't have an issue on that front, either. And I generally like the evening amenitites at the conceierge lounge in the "upscale" hotels I utilize.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Hoteliergal
I don't know - I get a bit tired of people giving a hotel a low score because they have to pay for Internet when they knew that before booking and often it's part of a giant chain of hundreds of hotels all over the world where that's the case. I want hotel reviews to be about the actual hotel, not about someone surprised about the hospitality business model. It's like the "OMG a beer in the minibar was €9" comments. They just don't add any value.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:43 am
Suspended

You can flip it around and say the same about the airline industry. While most people, as shown, will pay less for airfare, I am one of those people willing to pay a little more and get more out of it (better schedules, extra legroom, upgraded food, luggage). Oh well.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by airplanegod
You can flip it around and say the same about the airline industry. While most people, as shown, will pay less for airfare, I am one of those people willing to pay a little more and get more out of it (better schedules, extra legroom, upgraded food, luggage). Oh well.
It's not the same, hence this thread. Stay at costlier hotels and you will be nickeled and dimed. Fly in premium classes and many small freedies and thrown in. It's the opposite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.