Wiki Posts
Search

Where Should I Go (in North America)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Where Should I Go (in North America)?

I'd like to plan a five-night trip somewhere in the US or Canada for my girlfriend and I. We're from the LA area, and would prefer to get out of California.

I really enjoy "smaller-feeling" places with lots of low-key shops, restaurants, bars, and the like. For instance, I liked the Byward Market in Ottawa quite a bit, which probably isn't a common destination. I try and avoid places with too much traffic or commotion, like the touristy parts of SF and LA.

Can anyone make a recommendation? I wonder if somewhere on the southern East Coast (the Carolinas, Virginia, etc) might have a good option? We're planning on doing the trip in June or July.

Thanks for any help!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Victoria on Vancouver Island in BC is very nice. Visit Tofino for beautiful scenery and a very unique-feeling community!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:41 pm

Some of the small Colorado ski towns are nice during that time. Especially if you like active vacations. Lots to do outdoors. I LOVE all the Southern Utah spots. (Moab, Zion, etc)

Or if you want East Coast---how about Charleston, SC? Great food, different culture, beautiful buildings, ocean, etc.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
Savannah, Georgia
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by yknot
Savannah, Georgia
I was going to say that as well. I think you can arrange day trips from either location (Charleston/Savannah) too. Both worth visiting, IMO.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Depending how small you want, ski towns are usually a great option in the off season (as mentioned up thread).

We once visited Yellowstone in June and spent quite a bit of time in the surrounding towns. Weather was still a bit iffy, but lots of variety between towns in terms of size, culture, etc., and most importantly, still early enough for low numbers of tourists.

Boise doesn't pop up on many peoples radar, but I found it a charming small city. Likewise for Austin.

Nashville ticks your boxes, and usually not too hot yet in June. Several daily nonstop flights from LAX, too.

Also, I know you said you wanted to get out of Cali, but it's a great time of year to do a leisurely road trip through the gold country. A long string of small, walkable towns along route 49.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking at hotel options... Where in Charleston would I want to stay? I'd prefer to stay in a walkable, shop/restaurant/bar area.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Montreal and Quebec City are great.

I love Acadia National Park for hiking, and the town of Bar Harbor is quaint.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Montreal and Quebec City are great.

I love Acadia National Park for hiking, and the town of Bar Harbor is quaint.
I was considering a 5 night trip, with two nights in Montreal and three in Ottawa. Where would I want to stay in Montreal?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I guess I struggle a bit with the thought of Ottawa....

My stays in Montreal have been at midrange properties which had decent reviews. Nothing great enough for me to go out of my way to recommend.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: Independent
I would probably switch it up myself. Downtown Ottawa is cool, but not very big. Would probably struggle to stay entertained for 3 days. More to do in Montreal.

Maybe try something like Denver, which is a pretty cool city. Are you lookig for place you can ditch the car or something for driving around? Maybe try Providence, RI. If you get bored there, it is easy to spend a day in Boston. Boston would be good but a little more active. Theres also Minneapolis and Milwaukee.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:06 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13

I really enjoy "smaller-feeling" places with lots of low-key shops, restaurants, bars, and the like. For instance, I liked the Byward Market in Ottawa quite a bit, which probably isn't a common destination. I try and avoid places with too much traffic or commotion, like the touristy parts of SF and LA.

Thanks for any help!
Nashville? Certainly not the smallest place, but it has small-town charm too.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Charleston >>>> Savannah. Folly Beach is a great beach. Explore the downtown/Battery area. Sorry, no stay recommendations.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
The south in July? Too humid. I live in D.C. and that's bad enough. I'd go for Cape Ann, in the Salem to Rockport area of Massachusetts. Could also do small towns in Maine on the coast south of Portland + Portland itself.

Connecticut is not known as a major tourist destination, but actually has some interesting places.

Annapolis-Baltimore, Maryland.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:42 am
Suspended

Charleston, SC. Perfect 4-5 day trip. Lived there for five years...after extensive world travel, still my favorite city in North America.

Conde Nast named it the top US city for a reason.

If you end up going there, PM me for recommendations.

EDIT: too hot in SC in July.

Go to Asheville, NC. Rent a car, drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful...one of America's most beautiful spots. Tons of low key but high brow restaurants. Best chocolate shop I've seen outside of Europe (French Broad). Best Spanish food in the country (Curate). Amazing place!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.