Reload this Page >

Where Should I Go (in North America)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where Should I Go (in North America)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:58 pm

I'll admit I'm slightly biased, but I do think Quebec City is the place you're looking for. I agree that if you just want to see the city, 6 days might be a bit much. However, if you're renting a car and are willing to travel around 30 minutes outside the city, there is plenty of stuff to be seen and done as well. The food options are amazing, both the high end ones and the less touristy/more affordable ones that locals enjoy.

If you're lucky, the weather will be nice and dry, moreso in July than in June. However, plan for everything - it could be 15 C and rainy if you come in June and are really unlucky, or it could be 25-30 C with clear skies if you come a bit later and get lucky. It's either rainy or sunny, but we don't tend to get humid days, though last summer was the most humid I remember.

One last note - the Festival d'été (Summer Festival) lasts 10 days and will take place from July 3rd to July 13th. It's a big music festival with several outdoor scenes around Old Quebec. We got artists like Stevie Wonder, Bruno Mars and Rush last year, and Lady Gaga is supposed to come this year. It's a nice, diverse festival that manages to reign in families, elderly people, adults and young people all at once, sometimes at the same shows! The streets are animated during the day as well (street performers, etc.) and there's a fun and relaxed atmosphere. I think it's an awesome time to see the city come alive, but you need to see for yourself if you want to participate or avoid it completely
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
I'd second the recommendation for Traverse City. Or, a few days in Portland, Maine and maybe a couple of days in Boston, only a couple of hours away.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13
Yep, you nailed it.

I'm fairly set on Quebec City, since it does seem to feel very European, without having to cross any oceans. The only complication is that because of award flight availability on Air Canada, it'll be a six-night trip. From the comments here, that sounds like it might be too much time.

As roo514 suggested, I'm considering splitting the trip in half, with two destinations. Halifax sounds interesting, and I might also end up back in Ottawa (I've only been once, over 5 years ago, and my girlfriend never has). I think I'd prefer one of the destinations to be in an English-speaking area, just to get a flavor of both cultures.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Quebec is a wonderful choice. I know that I could spend 6 nights there, but I do really like to steep myself in a location and see not just the blockbuster sights, but also that one room museum where I am the only person to have signed their guest register in the last three days! That said, I can certainly understand splitting between two destinations - I did the last time I was in Quebec. I would suggest either Montreal or Ottawa as the other destination, rather than Halifax, simply as a function of distance. They are quite far from each other. Ottawa is a fully bilingual area - the regular greeting when you walk into a store or restaurant is hellobonjour, really almost said as a single word. Montreal is a larger city, but doesn't overwhelm and has more energy than either Quebec or Ottawa.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Quebec is a wonderful choice. I know that I could spend 6 nights there, but I do really like to steep myself in a location and see not just the blockbuster sights, but also that one room museum where I am the only person to have signed their guest register in the last three days! That said, I can certainly understand splitting between two destinations - I did the last time I was in Quebec. I would suggest either Montreal or Ottawa as the other destination, rather than Halifax, simply as a function of distance. They are quite far from each other. Ottawa is a fully bilingual area - the regular greeting when you walk into a store or restaurant is hellobonjour, really almost said as a single word. Montreal is a larger city, but doesn't overwhelm and has more energy than either Quebec or Ottawa.
I'm usually happier when "vacationing" than when "traveling," if that makes sense. I think in some ways I might like being bored in a single place. Feeling rushed to see everything in a small amount of time isn't a great vacation.

I didn't realize Halifax was so far---it's definitely out. I might do three days in Ottawa, but I'm just as inclined to stay all 6 in Quebec, and then rent a car two or three days and explore the surrounding area.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13
I'm usually happier when "vacationing" than when "traveling," if that makes sense. I think in some ways I might like being bored in a single place. Feeling rushed to see everything in a small amount of time isn't a great vacation.

I didn't realize Halifax was so far---it's definitely out. I might do three days in Ottawa, but I'm just as inclined to stay all 6 in Quebec, and then rent a car two or three days and explore the surrounding area.
you can't go wrong with 3 and 3 or all 6 in QC and the surrounding areas. If you were someone who liked a faster pace, you might be bored, but its a very nice place to just chill. If you do go to Ottawa, you may consider the Gatineau Park area in Quebec, just across from Ottawa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.