Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon European Arrivals...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin

I have recently relocated from the flight filled eastern part of the country to Phoenix. As I am trying to plan my leisure travel for this upcoming year I note that Phoenix is poorly served with European connections and flights.

We have exactly 1 NS to Europe, a BA flight to London. The odd thing about this flight is that it doesn't arrive until 1-3 pm in London, and if I want to connect further I'm looking at a 6 pm arrival.

Every flight I have done to Europe in the past ended with me at my final destination between 6-10 AM. I was tired, but still able to enjoy myself during the day.

Has anyone else had experience with late afternoon arrivals into Europe? How did you feel it worked? My concern is that I would feel like I'm wasting a day. Arrive just long enough to go to sleep.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:49 am

Why can't you connect? PHX is a reasonably short hop from multiple hubs for AA, UA, and DL flights. If you get on a flight early enough in the morning, I'm sure you could make an earlier redeye flight to Europe.

I know that a good number of people, at least on the AA board, like daytime flights to Europe, when you arrive late at night and go right to bed, then wake up at the right time in the morning.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

Definitely look at connections. Being at PHX, you're west enough that you'll have the choice of connecting not only on the East Coast and in the Midwest but also through the West Coast hubs, like SFO, LAX, or SEA. Also look at DEN or DFW and IAH.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by kylemore
Arrive just long enough to go to sleep.
No biggie. The first day is generally a waste anyway of trying to stay awake until bedtime.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:16 am

I prefer flying during the day and landing in the late afternoon (for preference, rather than late at night). No doubt this preferences depends, though, on one's temperament and also on what class one is flying in - spending a few hours in a comfortable-class cabin reading, listening to music or watching a film or two, snoozing a bit, and enjoying a drink and some reasonable food is a very different prospect from spending the same few hours in a less comfortable space.

But why can't you connect somewhere to get an overnight flight to Europe?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I like landing late afternoon (I'm thinking more Asia since I'm already in Europe) as it means less time to spend until I can go to bed legitimately. Arriving too early just sees me sleeping during the day and messing up the jet lag.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I like landing late afternoon (I'm thinking more Asia since I'm already in Europe) as it means less time to spend until I can go to bed legitimately. Arriving too early just sees me sleeping during the day and messing up the jet lag.
Agree.

USA => Europe is roughly same time difference and direction as Europe => Asia and the same holds true.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I find afternoon arrivals (off an eastbound overnight flight) harder, as I tend not to be able to sleep that evening, and so the jetlag gets spread over to an extra day.

But it all depends on your sleep habits. I find it easier to have a day after a night's limited sleep (e.g. arrive in India at 4am, sleep for 3 hours, go to work) than to have two sleeps too close together.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn't be too concerned about connecting out of PHX once at LHR. It is a good route (some of the best BA ground staff anywhere) and the afternoon arrival time makes for good connections to most European destinations. After all, one is unlikely to get much work done even connecting late morning.

Just to note that the schedule for PHX to LHR does change at the end of March with BA288 departing at 19:40 and arriving at 13:25, so a little earlier. Realistically, 288 arrives earlier but congestion at LHR can cause delays arriving at the gate.

H
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the overnight iad-lhr or cdg frequently arrives very early in the morning. surprise, unless you booked the night before, one does not have a hotel room until 3pm or so. most hotels will store luggage.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Unfortunately with time zones working against you, there's no way to have long, daytime flights headed eastbound, at least while subsonic speeds apply.

Could always travel westbound via Asia but that's longer and a likely more $$.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
the overnight iad-lhr or cdg frequently arrives very early in the morning. surprise, unless you booked the night before, one does not have a hotel room until 3pm or so. most hotels will store luggage.
As far as I can remember(all the way back to 1992), I have never encountered a decent London hotel that didn't allow me to check into my room at 9AM. However, I always call the day before to let them know that I was arriving from the USA on an early morning flight.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I would much rather leave North America at 11pm and arrive in Europe at 1pm than leave North America at 6pm and arrive at 8am.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I would much rather leave North America at 11pm and arrive in Europe at 1pm than leave North America at 6pm and arrive at 8am.
Funny, I would much rather leave NA at 6p and arrive Europe 8a, than 11p and 1p. Guess it really all is in personal preference.

My Europe visits are always vacation, not business, so I find the first day to be full of adrenaline anyway. No problem going-going-going until European bedtime, then to sleep exhausted, wake up the next morning on local time. Well, I usually wake up early, but that's a great time to walk the city again.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Absolutely agree. Doing this monthly for the last 7 or 8 years, I will do anything to avoid arriving back in London really early in the day. The evening departures from the West Coast, or late night departures from the East Coast, are the way to do it. Having said that, the very best way, which is only available from the East Coast, is the day flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.