Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Looking for a different city -- suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

I enjoy visiting cities more than nature (probably because I live in a very rural area).

I am looking for a European city to go to for a week, where I can walk around the historic section, enjoy seeing 19th century architecture (both residential and commercial/official), get some good food, find a local bazaar that I can browse through, and preferably not spend a fortune on the hotel room.

Italy and Germany are out -- I have been in both too many times. Paris, Budapest, and Prague are off the list for the same reasons.

I am thinking of Bucharest or Sofia but really don't know enough about either to make a decision. Has any one here spent time there and can tell me about them? Also, any other suggestions would be welcome.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Have you been to Lisbon? We are currently in the said city for our first visit and we are totally surprised at all it has to offer. It has a certain charm, very walkable even taking into account the hills and the locals have been very welcoming.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
agree.....Lisbon is lovely, weather good and people friendly.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Personally I like Porto over Lisbon but both are great. Barcelona and Istanbul would also go on my recommendations list. Followed by Amsterdam, Tel Aviv & Dubrovnik.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:34 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Personally I like Porto over Lisbon but both are great. Barcelona and Istanbul would also go on my recommendations list. Followed by Amsterdam, Tel Aviv & Dubrovnik.
Tel Aviv's in Europe now? Might as well add Montreal to the list too. NTM, I reckon the OP has been to Tel Aviv a few times...

I concur with Lisbon and Oporto.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:40 pm

#1 - Dubrovnik
#2 - Talinn (easy to combine w/ Helsinki tho thats a much pricier city)
#3 - Krakow
#4 - Belgrade
#5 - Istanbul

Most cities further west would be too pricey
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I liked Brussels, but a week may be a bit much. Other cities like Antwerp and Ghent are a short train ride away. It has been a while since I have been there, but I am sure Belgium is pricey.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
I thought Sofia was a great city. I spent 4 days there several years ago. My days were spent in meetings but I really enjoyed walking the city at night. The food is fantastic and the nightlife was fun too. Plenty of parks and outdoor cafes to enjoy.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
I would suggest Dubrovnik a beautiful fortifided seaport city with lots of history and character.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Not technically Europe, but St Petersburg is definitely worthy of consideration, and a bit more off the beaten path. Loads of old architecture, with a gorgeous and fascinating mix of European and Russian influences. Plenty of historic attractions, too (the Hermitage, etc.). A really beautiful and walkable city criss-crossed by lovely canals and charming bridges. Don't know when you plan to travel, but you'll get very nice weather in the summertime, not to mention nearly constant daylight (the White Nights).

I can't recommend a specific midrange hotel, but we've been able to get excellent pricing at the higher end properties we've booked, and I recall seeing some of the larger chains represented over on the Nevsky Prospekt, so I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding something.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Not technically Europe, but St Petersburg is definitely worthy of consideration.
It's west of the Urals.

Europe.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It's west of the Urals.

Europe.
Yes... I was actually thinking in cultural terms rather than geographic technicalities.

Of course, even culturally, it's arguably the most European place in Russia, and feels more western than eastern. Which is what made me think of it.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Lisbon, Barcelona, Valencia, Toulouse, Nice/Cannes, Brussels, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Bergen, Salzberg, Vienna, maybe Birmingham. However, if you really want specifically 19th century buildings, I'm not sure. There are some smaller cities that could get boring for a whole week.

Do you consider Istanbul to be part of Europe? However, I'm not sure how much 19th century architecture it has versus earlier periods. Also, its huge bazaar might seem too similar to some markets in Israel for you.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I have been to Bucharest.
It is not in the same league as many of the other big cities in Europe, I think.
Not a lot of tourist attractions.
A bit shabby in places.
But for your purposes, it might fit the bill.

I found it an interesting city not very geared towards tourism and was perfectly happy there and am going back later this year.

It certainly has interesting and impressive buildings, not least the enormous palace of the parlament.

It has an old town, not big as part of it was torn down to build the parlament.

It would have hotels that are cheap. I stayed in the Hilton Athenee Palace which is in a lovely building and is a very nice hotel ( nice breakfast ).

And it certainly has good food at very reasonable prices.

If you go, this restaurant is a must ( try the spoon tasting ) :

http://theartist.ro

I also had very nice beef several places ( can only remember these two places):

http://www.vacamuuu.com
http://oshoprimaverii.ro

And I am sure there are markets. I cannot recommend any as I don't remember if I went to any ( I normally do ). It was frightfully cold when I was there and I could have skipped this enjoyment.

Last edited by helosc; Feb 20, 2014 at 2:08 am Reason: add.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
If you just want 19thC architecture then I'd suggest Glasgow or Leeds. Otherwise you'll have to wade through 18thC and earlier.

Amsterdam has to be the most instantly likeable city in Europe, and its beauty is often under-rated. I never get tired of the place. It's very walkable. If you haven't been there yet, it's a definite must. AMS being a major hub airport makes it very easy to get to as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.