Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2014 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2014 Hotel Pet Peeves Poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

The results of the poll have been published and are here: Hotel Pet Peeves: Guests Shut the Door on Wi-Fi, Outlet Shortages

After reading the results, take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves that weren't touched upon.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2014 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Old May 12, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
One hotel I've stayed at a few times (Marriott Courtyard Oakland) apparently under-spec'd the bedside outlets. My chargers fall out of them because they don't grip well enough.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm at a HIX in Gunnison, Colorado tonight that has a laminated card taped to the corner of the bathroom mirror that contains a word and diagram explanation of how to turn the shower on and an encouragement to call the front desk if you have any further plumbing questions.

I suspect that the laminated card didn't come into existence without a reason, but at least they're trying to handle complaints short of replacing all the tub faucets.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by elusive1
Inroom safes that are so low to the ground that I cannot see if I am punching in the right number.
Originally Posted by esmetravels
What I'm finding a lot lately:

- Teeny-tiny foot-operated trash cans
- Smoke detectors with bright lights (worse yet: bright flashing lights)
- Loud refrigerators
- No top sheet

Has anyone in the history of lodging ever used a hotel shower cap?
Agree
Agree
Agree
Agree!

I use a showercap sometimes
Old May 31, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I recently stayed at a Best Western that had an idiotic thermostat system - it has a motion sensor that turns the AC on or off. I'd come into the room in the evening and its a stuffy 78 degrees, but the AC clicked on immediately and soon cooled it to a reasonable 72. So when I hit the sack, I covered up and slept well - until I woke up sweltering hot because it was back to 78 degrees! I got up and sure enough, the thing kicked on again and within minutes I was shivering and had to cover up. Over and over again all night!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I recently stayed at a Best Western that had an idiotic thermostat system - it has a motion sensor that turns the AC on or off. I'd come into the room in the evening and its a stuffy 78 degrees, but the AC clicked on immediately and soon cooled it to a reasonable 72. So when I hit the sack, I covered up and slept well - until I woke up sweltering hot because it was back to 78 degrees! I got up and sure enough, the thing kicked on again and within minutes I was shivering and had to cover up. Over and over again all night!
There's a thread on how to override the motion sensing on hotel thermostats.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's bad enough when I have to keep using my keycard to get to the executive level floors, especially when I'm already on one of them, but why would any hotel put the slot at knee level?

Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
...but why would any hotel put the slot at knee level?
A lot of small kids like to put the cards in and push the buttons. If the key card is up high, kids can't reach.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by CMK10
It's bad enough when I have to keep using my keycard to get to the executive level floors, especially when I'm already on one of them, but why would any hotel put the slot at knee level?

wheelchairs...
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: US Gold
Are the hotels with no top sheet supplying duvets with washable covers? Because to me, the cover on the duvet *is* the top sheet - it's washed after every guest.

Second the teeming millions who dislike inadequate electrical outlets near the bed and the teeny foot-operated wastebaskets. But...last year I stayed in a hotel in Dubai where the rooms were entirely operated by some weird electronic system that had its own remote control: lights, heating, TV, everything. The remote was impenetrable.

wg
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wendyg
Second the teeming millions who dislike inadequate electrical outlets near the bed and the teeny foot-operated wastebaskets.
No issue here. I just start unplugging all the clocks and lamps around the room and plug my stuff in. I leave them unplugged for the next guest, figured they'd appreciate it.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KRSW
Is there a 2015 Survey / thread? These usually came out around this time of year.
It's coming soon ! Thanks for asking.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: MH Gold, IHG RA, SPG Gold, QF Silver, Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by TMM1982
No issue here. I just start unplugging all the clocks and lamps around the room and plug my stuff in. I leave them unplugged for the next guest, figured they'd appreciate it.
I just stayed in a 2 room suite where there wasn't a single power outlet in the bedroom. All the electrical devices were hardwired into a cabinet within the bedhead. The only outlets (4) were in the other room above the desk and behind the lounge for the lamps.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:33 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Has anyone been in a hotel where, upon hovering your keycard over the sensor (in the elevator), it automatically selected your floor? Even better, if you wanted to go to the lounge instead, it would first let you deselect the floor of your room.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: MH Gold, IHG RA, SPG Gold, QF Silver, Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Has anyone been in a hotel where, upon hovering your keycard over the sensor (in the elevator), it automatically selected your floor? Even better, if you wanted to go to the lounge instead, it would first let you deselect the floor of your room.
Yep, I've been in a few hotels like this, mainly in Asia though. I haven't seen where it selected the lounge as an option though, just the room floor.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Not sure if it has been mentioned before but lack of proper hotel stationery (letterhead, envelopes, even a postcard). The last Westin I stayed at did have this and the front desk clerk was kind enough to post them for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.