"Wheels up in 30"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Wheels up in 30"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigLar
How many times have we heard that line on Criminal Minds?

OK - I can possibly live with the idea that Penelope Garcia has the fastest internet connection known to Man, and that the amount of (machine-readable) records on everybody is out there and accessible, but I always wonder about the airplane connection.

They are located at Quantico, VA. I guess there's an airstrip located somewhere nearby, if for Marine aviation if nothing else, but is it reasonable to prep a Gulfstream, file flight plans, and get everybody to the strip in such a short period of time?
What?? A TV show takes license with the truth? Next thing you're going to tell me is that they can't take a blurry photo from 50 years ago, enhance it, age progress the person in the photo and then find his photo in face matching program and do it all in 5 minutes.

Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Spelling Matters
Pretty sure that even in a fictional world, it's still not spelled "beck and call". It amazes me that people even critized the "Wow...really?" post and didn't notice the horrendous butchering of the English language that inspired it.
Not sure what you're saying. It's a perfectly valid phrase. Commonly used. And properly spelled.

According to the dictionary it evolved from the phrase "beckon and call" but was shortened to "beck and call" hundreds of years ago.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Grammar Girl

Dave J. asked, “What's the appropriate phrase--'beckon call' or 'beck and call'?”

The correct phrase is “beck and call.” If you are at someone's beck and call, you respond immediately whether he or she beckons or calls; it implies complete subservience.

It's an old phrase, originating in the late 1800s, during a time when “beck” was used to mean “beckon.”
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:39 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this discussion no longer focuses on any travel topics and has instead veered towards grammar, we will close this recently-revived thread from 3 years ago. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.