Wiki Posts
Search

Escalator/Travelator - walk or stand?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Escalator/Travelator - walk or stand?

I must admit I was frustrated today by finding people coming to a stop and blocking every escalator and travelator I went on.

As far as I'm concerned, they're to speed you along, not save you from unwanted exercise. These people seemed totally oblivious.

Why can't they just stand to one side? Or am I just a grumpy impatient old git?
I do have a chronic ankle condition that hurts when I walk but I hate standing still.

What do you prefer? Stand or walk/climb?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I had to Google "travelator".

I walk, and it's a total pet peeve of mine when people block the entire thing. Because I realize the customs may differ around the world, I think there should be signs above each escalator or moving walkway: stand on this side, walk on that side.

Maybe on a really long up escalator, I'll stand. I don't necessarily walk the entire way out of a deep London Underground station. But people should know where to stand so that walkers can get by.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Asked and answered
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Palal
9 years ago. Whole new generation here now (who am I kidding ..)
Because I realize the customs may differ around the world
Not that much. Blocking footpaths, doorways, escalators etc when you could easily move is chronic worldwide.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I usually walk/climb, but when I have a rollaboard behind me, I'm always sure to move to one side and put my bag on the step behind me. I even check others ahead/behind me to be sure we line up on the same side, leaving a path.

I realize that I'm in the minority and do wish others would extend the same courtesy. It's just one example of the general me-centric/oblivious-to-the-world outlook I see just about everywhere.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mandolino
Not that much. Blocking footpaths, doorways, escalators etc when you could easily move is chronic worldwide.
True, but people may come from a variety of backgrounds where it's acceptable to do these things. I don't believe all people universally and instinctively know to stand on the right (left?) because people are walking by on the left (right?).

That's why I think it can be helpful to post signs, especially in a situation where the users may be from around the world. Granted, I'm thinking mainly of airports and other transport hubs here: places with a potentially international user base and places where the operator of the facility would indeed agree that there is a benefit to many people to walk instead of stand. I honestly don't care if my local mall posts the signs...the teenagers will ignore them and just stand there while they text anyway....

Can't hurt, right?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
True, but people may come from a variety of backgrounds where it's acceptable to do these things. I don't believe all people universally and instinctively know to stand on the right (left?) because people are walking by on the left (right?).

That's why I think it can be helpful to post signs, especially in a situation where the users may be from around the world. Granted, I'm thinking mainly of airports and other transport hubs here: places with a potentially international user base and places where the operator of the facility would indeed agree that there is a benefit to many people to walk instead of stand. I honestly don't care if my local mall posts the signs...the teenagers will ignore them and just stand there while they text anyway....

Can't hurt, right?
I love that the London Underground actually has signs and annoucements to stand on one side and that the other is for walking.

People blocking the whole thing is a pet peeve too. I will often skip the moving walkway since I can get past faster if people are blocking it
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:00 am

Walk left. Stand right. If you do not move after a sharp "excuse me", I will brusquely move you out of my way. The same goes for folks who find it necessary to walk slowly two or more abreast on sidewalks/pavements.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
bad knees - I stand (to the right)
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:50 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8703e: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by brendog
Walk left. Stand right. If you do not move after a sharp "excuse me", I will brusquely move you out of my way. The same goes for folks who find it necessary to walk slowly two or more abreast on sidewalks/pavements.
It's been a while since I was in the UK, but is that expected there as well (by other UK residents, anyway; we know what us 'merkins expect )
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by brendog
+1 although I don't brusquely move people out of my, but rather say "excuse me" even harder, and eventually also push myself through.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
We do have an angry society, don't we? If this is truly the worst problem you encounter when traveling, you are a lot luckier than I am.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by yknot
bad knees - I stand (to the right)
That's the "proper" American stance to assume at home

As global travelers, depending on the countries you are landing on next & local custom, you might be doing the opposite instead - stand to the left, walk & pass on the right. When unsure, look for & watch the locals - follow them.

Not all escalators/travelators are designed for those of us with oversized spinners or rollers doing the 100 yards dash for that final boarding call that we sometimes must tried to make at various airports or terminals. While standing still for that 30 seconds, it's often enough time for me to quickly scan my smartphone for SMS & email alerts and flight updates, etc. - can't really do that while walking ...

If we aren't running down the clock, we stand & let foot traffic pass - if we are in a hurry, then we kick in the afterburner and walk - inside airport's people's mover walkway - ORD - it's often "faster" to not use them & just speed thru around it.

It's common sense & matter of courtesy, and not against the laws or administrative regulations, annoying as they often are.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:17 am

I usually walk on moving walkways, unless I'm with someone who stops then I will also but stand in front or behind them.

But I do have an issue with escalators. Bad knees (ankles, and back) here too, so I find escalators to be very awkward to walk on. The steps are a bit higher and wider than standard stairs. So I usually just stand on an escalator unless I'm feeling especially spry that day.

Oh, and escalators are the only situation where my left-handedness is a problem. I always carry things (purses, bags, laptop) on my right shoulder, and prefer to grab hand rails with my left hand. So I usually grab the left rail and then have to remind myself (or my harpy husband (LOL) reminds me a half second before I remind myself) to move over to the right.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Walkalators (or whatever we're calling them these days...travelators?) and the ability to stand still on them are great for those with injuries, disabilities, and the elderly or otherwise infirm. However, as an able-bodied person, I can think of few more torturous everyday experiences than having to stand still on one of those things. It's like Chinese water torture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.