Wiki Posts
Search

Becoming an independent travel agent?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromYXU
IATA website seems to have a lot of information.
From what I understand, IATA only deals with air travel. I'm also looking at hotels. Thanks for the heads up, though ^
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I don't think bears analysis was really on point unless the whole point of his response was to: assume I was trying to aggrandize myself or to show me statistics that had no bearing on what I'm trying to do.

My title is a misnomer, I get it! I apologize, but I don't know how to change it. Let me rephrase it:

1) I book hotels/flights for friends/family at 20 - 40 times a year.

2) I was looking to get them unpublished perks (not me!!!!!!)

3) I enjoy doing this, or else I wouldn't do it.

4) I have a law degree. I'm not looking to switch careers, get rich quick, what have you. All I'm trying to do use my skills and knowledge as a traveler (recommending hotels, places to see, guides/hosts, restaurants, itineraries), combined with their requests that I do their bookings.

I guess I'd call it "boutique travel advisor"....I'm getting a lot of flack here, but where I'm from (JAX), not a day goes by where someone doesn't walk up to me at the coffee shop or around town and goes "hey, so and so said you're great at building itineraries and booking trips, can you do it for me?"

Lastly, yes, Hotel Pulitzer AMS gives 50% off for travel agents:

Hotel Discounts offered for Hotel Pulitzer
Group discount
Corporate discount
Government/ Military discount
Travel Agents 50.0%
Airline Personnel 50.0%

http://www.travelweekly.com/Hotels/A...p4026972?acg=1
Yes, I guess I am reading you wrong. You want 50% off for yourself at Hotel Pulitzer, yet say you are just doing this for fun and for other people. If a travel agent books Hotel Pulitzer for someone else, they do not get 50% off, they get 10% commission.... I am not trying to give you flack, I am just saying that someone who books trips for people part time as a hobby normally do not qualify as a "travel agent" for discount purposes. If you find a way around this, please share with the rest of us.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most

Lastly, yes, Hotel Pulitzer AMS gives 50% off for travel agents:

Hotel Discounts offered for Hotel Pulitzer
Group discount
Corporate discount
Government/ Military discount
Travel Agents 50.0%
Airline Personnel 50.0%

http://www.travelweekly.com/Hotels/A...p4026972?acg=1
Your best bet is to get a valid IATA card through a friend that owns an IATA accredited agency.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:57 pm

From what I understand, IATA only deals with air travel. I'm also looking at hotels. Thanks for the heads up, though ^
And no, hotels use IATA numbers to pay commissions.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:12 pm

I believe ASTA is a little easier to get than IATA, but as far as I know, most hotels do not pay them commission. You might be able to get travel discounts for yourself through them though. Not sure.

http://asta.org/About/index.cfm?navItemNumber=502

Or this one.

http://www.nacta.com/

Or here is a good article on such agencies.

http://homebasedtravelagentsblog.typ...n-to-join.html
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:07 am
Suspended

What's to stop you from simplying this process by handing it over to Virtuoso or another 'boutique' provider?

As I understand what you are trying to say, based on your own travel experience you are advising people on what a good itinerary would be and then doing the actual booking for them.

Why can you not put together an itinerary based on your personal knowledge and then call up Virtuoso and have them do the bookings for the person? In other words provide your imput but limit it to that.

I had a friend ask me to arrange a private tour of an island I used to live on and that they were going to visit. I figured out what I would suggest they do with their time and then called a 'private tour company' on the island to discuss it with them and ask them for a price. They suggested a change to the itinerary I was proposing which I agreed wtih and provided a price. I then gave the name and phone number to my friend who called and booked.

It is a much simpler one of example but it is I think basically the same idea. The difference is I did no booking. Why could you not do the same and have your 'client' either call Virtuoso to confirm and book or have Virtuoso call the client? You would reduce it to a one phone call transaction.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
What's to stop you from simplying this process by handing it over to Virtuoso or another 'boutique' provider?

As I understand what you are trying to say, based on your own travel experience you are advising people on what a good itinerary would be and then doing the actual booking for them.

Why can you not put together an itinerary based on your personal knowledge and then call up Virtuoso and have them do the bookings for the person? In other words provide your imput but limit it to that.

I had a friend ask me to arrange a private tour of an island I used to live on and that they were going to visit. I figured out what I would suggest they do with their time and then called a 'private tour company' on the island to discuss it with them and ask them for a price. They suggested a change to the itinerary I was proposing which I agreed wtih and provided a price. I then gave the name and phone number to my friend who called and booked.

It is a much simpler one of example but it is I think basically the same idea. The difference is I did no booking. Why could you not do the same and have your 'client' either call Virtuoso to confirm and book or have Virtuoso call the client? You would reduce it to a one phone call transaction.
In short: because I enjoy the process. And, I don't have a good enough relationship with any local Virtuoso agent.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Figured I'd update anyone curious as to what happened here.

So, passed the bar, became an attorney.

The next week I walked into a Virtuoso agency and asked for a job. I got lucky and they said yes.

Moved to a new agency (where I still am) about 1.5 years ago.

While the job started slow, I am now making roughly 2-3x what I would be making as an attorney.

This is a full time job and I love every minute of it.

Feel free to ask questions!
efe83 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.