Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Passenger rights when missed airline flight was due to immigration processing.

Old Jan 17, 14, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EK, FB, IHG Gold, SPG

I was flying American Airlines (would never do it again) from ABZ-LHR, LHR-DFW and then DFW-IAH. LHR-DFW flight was fine although I was mightily annoyed at the rudeness of the crew towards other passengers.

I had a 4 hour break at DFW , however after standing in the immigration queue for 1 hour and after getting pulled aside for additional questioning by immigration in US , i missed my connection.(scheduled departure 2125 from DFW). I ended up reaching the gate at 2125 but the gates were closed.

AA put me on the next available flight which was at 0925 the next morning but refused to offer accommodation as it wasn't airlines fault that i missed my flight but was immigration's fault.

AA offered to put me at La Quinta at a discounted rate which wasnt exactly a discounted rate. The AA supervisor refused to give me in writing that AA wouldn't book accommodation and couldn't have been more rude in dealing with my query. Although, i had no problem paying for it, I was a little bit miffed by the rudeness of the staff and the fact that AA were happy to put me on the next flight free of charge but wouldn't put me in a hotel as the next available flight was 12 hours later.

What if the next available flight was 24 hours later? Do I have a case to argue or are the airlines not entitled to pay for accommodation.
Old Jan 17, 14, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matrix1781 View Post
Do I have a case to argue or are the airlines not entitled to pay for accommodation.
AA is not at fault here. No compensation is due other than the generosity of AA (booking you on the next flight).
Besides, what happened during those other 3 hours?
Old Jan 17, 14, 8:02 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Quote:

OP mentioned being pulled aside by Immigration for additional questioning. Three hour interview suggests there might be more to this story.
Old Jan 17, 14, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EK, FB, IHG Gold, SPG
passenger rights

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
AA is not at fault here. No compensation is due other than the generosity of AA (booking you on the next flight).
Immigration made me wait for 3 hours and gave me my passport back. It is little annoying that no one takes any responsibility for such incidents. You cant really ask immigration because they are just doing their job. Requesting them that I had a connection to catch was futile. Airlines didnt have any delay so they dont take any responsibility, passengers just lose out.

I nearly missed the monday meeting which was the sole purpose of my travel

There was another canadian couple who were merely passing through Dallas and missed their flight to Vancouver. Frustrating is the word that come to mind
Old Jan 17, 14, 9:05 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Again, why would you hold AA responsible for your hotel? In no way, were they responsible for your missing your flight (unless something is missing from your story).

In fact, unless I am mistaken, they did not have to even provide you with the free flight the next day (assuming you were on a non-refundable ticket). Their doing that most likely saved you more than a hotel night would cost you.

And, what rate did they provide that you did not consider a discount?
Old Jan 17, 14, 9:25 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
I concur with the above. It was not the fault of AA and they have bear no responsibility for accommodation. (It's similar to a WX situation.)
Old Jan 17, 14, 9:39 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Just avoid transit from an International flight at USA airports.
I didn't think DFW would be as bad as LAX though - three hour delays caused by their lack of a proper transit system were routine there.

You can drive from DFW to IAH in less time than your delay cost.
Old Jan 17, 14, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA would be responsible for your acommodation if the misconnect were for a matter within AA's control. That is generally thought of as things such as mechanicals.

This misconnect was not caused by AA. Whether it was CBP's "fault", OP's fault or just an unlucky happenstance, it wasn't AA's fault and AA has no responsibility to pay for OP's hotel & food.

I'm not sure what the other rants about "transit" are about. OP wasn't a transit passenger. He was entering the USA and his issues ocurred with the Immigration aspect of the CBP inspection. OP doesn't explain what those were and frankly, may have and may never have an idea why he was pulled into secondary. Many people here forget that the UK, Canada and others can have particularly nasty and lengthy delays for non-nationals.
Old Jan 17, 14, 10:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Passenger rights

First off, I don't disagree. Obviously can't be responsible for things out of their control.

Would trip interruption insurance cover this type of situation?

Obviously no one has control over Customs and immigration delay, but is there a way to limit your liability in these cases with insurance.
Old Jan 17, 14, 1:57 pm

Programs: *G
Looks like an oil route. As a suggestion don't fly such that you clear customs during transit. Try LHR-IAH next time with BA
Old Jan 17, 14, 2:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan

I see your point. As a US resident you would typically clear customs on landing. Wasn't thinking that.

As a canadian when traveling Canada to US we pre clear custom in canada. So I guess my question would be if I was delayed at customs before first flight would credit card trip interruption insurance cover associated costs caused by delays in customs?
Old Jan 17, 14, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
It's well known that foreign nationals can have difficulty entering the US, and US airports don't have transit lounges -- you have to clear immigration at your first point of entry, even if you're departing the US for another country straight away. So it is generally not advised to connect through the US on your way to someplace else. And when coming in from abroad you should do your best to find a nonstop to your final US destination, because of stuff like this.

Having said that, what happened is in no way AA's fault and the OP has already received more consideration / accommodation than the airline was required to offer.
Old Jan 18, 14, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Originally Posted by Segments View Post
OP mentioned being pulled aside by Immigration for additional questioning. Three hour interview suggests there might be more to this story.
Not necessarily a 3 hour interview. I've had times getting secondary at immigration and/or customs when I've had to wait over 2 hours just to be seen.
Old Jan 18, 14, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I concur with the others that the best thing to do with this sort of itinerary is avoid a connection within the US. Given that IAH has 4-5 flights a day to LHR on UA and BA, plus plenty of lift via Germany on *A, a domestic connection can easily be avoided.
Old Jan 19, 14, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Again, why would you hold AA responsible for your hotel? In no way, were they responsible for your missing your flight (unless something is missing from your story).

In fact, unless I am mistaken, they did not have to even provide you with the free flight the next day (assuming you were on a non-refundable ticket). Their doing that most likely saved you more than a hotel night would cost you.

And, what rate did they provide that you did not consider a discount?
Well, I can agree that AA may not be responsible for hotel etc costs in this situation, I vehemently disagree that they "they did not have to even provide you with the free flight the next day". This was a single ticket on AA. AA determines the minimum connecting time, AA coordinates its flight schedules with CBP to some degree for staffing purposes, AA is responsible for the connection (if not the exact flight time). They absolutely are responsible for rebooking the passenger "for free" just as they would if there were weather or other delays that aren't considered their fault.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: