Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The best of the big 4 Middle-Eastern carriers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Which is the best of the big 4 Middle-Eastern carriers?

You know of whom I speak: Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Turkish.

A blog post here got me thinking.

http://backpackerlee.wordpress.com/2...ar-vs-turkish/

Ultimately, does it come down to fanboys and haters, or can people clearly delineate between each of those airlines and form their own opinions?

In economy class, it is clearly between Etihad and Turkish for me, although for the elite, I guess an Emirates or Etihad suite must be the crème-de-la-crème?

Last edited by A380 Flyer; Jan 14, 2014 at 1:19 pm
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Is Turkish a Mideast carrier?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Is Turkish a Mideast carrier?
Not geographically, but a lot of people do compare them to the other 3. Their strategic position allows them to potentially take trade away from EK, EY or QR on a Europe/Asia or Asia/America routing (via Istanbul).
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Turkish? They are not middle East and they don't fly direct to Australia unlike the other three, which has been a real game changer.

I prefer Emirates. Why? Because they have more frequent connections, so if you miss one it doesn't result in a 24 hour wait.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:03 pm

The customer service of Turkish leaves a lot to be desired. They treat transit pax like crap.

Turkey is trying hard to get into the EU by trying to please them, etc. I doubt if they wanna be tied to middle-east much. Too bad their geographical location does not help them much....

I would think Emirates and Etihad are above QR, leaving TK as fourth. I doubt if they will pass the other 3 anytime soon. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. They don't respect transit pax in Istanbul much.

My country of origin sees most of the travelers served by massive frequencies of Emirates and Etihad. The rest are "discouraged" to stay away by EK
It's a win-win situation for Emirates/Etihad as they offer great service with new aircrafts and reliability, something which is thoroughly lacking in others.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I am going with EK, although in fairness, it's the only one I've tried.

Down under, EK is now the pre-eminent trans-tasman carrier. The A380 knocks the socks off the rather sad B737s that normally would ply these routes.

My Pakistani friend loves to say that Emirates is the de facto flag carrier of the sub-continent. Looking at the cities served and the fashionable cachet that EK has there, it's hard to disagree.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by cdn1
The customer service of Turkish leaves a lot to be desired. They treat transit pax like crap.

Turkey is trying hard to get into the EU by trying to please them, etc. I doubt if they wanna be tied to middle-east much. Too bad their geographical location does not help them much....

I would think Emirates and Etihad are above QR, leaving TK as fourth. I doubt if they will pass the other 3 anytime soon. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. They don't respect transit pax in Istanbul much.

My country of origin sees most of the travelers served by massive frequencies of Emirates and Etihad. The rest are "discouraged" to stay away by EK
It's a win-win situation for Emirates/Etihad as they offer great service with new aircrafts and reliability, something which is thoroughly lacking in others.
TK ıs tryıng to be #1 carrıer among the 4 of them.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: United, AA, Avianca

What about royal Jordanian 😜
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by fulthrust7
What about royal Jordanian 😜
RJ has a much smaller network than the big ME3 or TK.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
TK ıs tryıng to be #1 carrıer among the 4 of them.
They seem to be trying harder on some routes than others.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:49 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In terms of IFE, EK for sure. Long layovers/the hubs, IST and DXB, since they both have rail stations and places worth -or in Dubai's case, places that are easy for- killing a few hours. Can't say I've ever been a fan of the crew on any of those, so at least in Y class, EK gets my first-place vote.

For J, haven't decided yet...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
In terms of IFE, EK for sure. Long layovers/the hubs, IST and DXB, since they both have rail stations and places worth -or in Dubai's case, places that are easy for- killing a few hours. Can't say I've ever been a fan of the crew on any of those, so at least in Y class, EK gets my first-place vote.

For J, haven't decided yet...
Yes, IFE clearly goes to EK. Although I think QR is catching up fast with Oryx.

Doha airport is a dump, right now. Anyone know when DOH will be finally finished and airbirdges can be used rather than buses?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I fly EK, TK, and QR a lot and have to agree that EK is the best among these three.

You get a widebody on all flights (QR's scandalous tendency to substitute an A320 with regional J seats to ZRH/GVA/VIE among other places means I don't fly them to those destinations), and availability of F on most routes. I would rate QR's 777 as the best biz on any of three (never tried the 787), though, across the whole fleet, I would say EK is the winner on balance. (TK's 777 is also excellent.)

DXB is the best among the three places to transfer, and their customer service seems to be the most competent and responsive (actually, QR's is medicore and, though I haven't had a lot of experience with TK's, there are negative reports all over).

IFE is very good on all -- I don't see that much of a difference between EK and QR, though EK offers a bit more choice.

Food and alcohol selections are excellent on QR and EK; TK food is very good but they don't have the same wine quality in J.

TK's frequent flier program is probably the best, in terms of earn/burn rates and of course the availability of the Star Alliance network. QR is great for redemption on QR, but if you don't start in DOH, then the burn rates, as well as those for partners, are not as favorable.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: *G
only done 6 long haul premium segments on TK , of that entire lot , but cant find anything at all pleasing to say about it.

main lounge is pretty nice WHEN not crowded but the check-in experience, staff from lounge to onboard to customer service, to website, to billing, transiting through IST as a whole, etc.... all abysmal.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah
only done 6 long haul premium segments on TK , of that entire lot , but cant find anything at all pleasing to say about it.

main lounge is pretty nice WHEN not crowded but the check-in experience, staff from lounge to onboard to customer service, to website, to billing, transiting through IST as a whole, etc.... all abysmal.
Thanks for the heads up about Istanbul. I am flying with TK from LHR-IST-CAN in a couple of months, and I am looking forward to another flight with TK, although now I worry about using IST for transit purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.