Wiki Posts
Search

Lost my passport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Lost my passport

Welp, I've done it. The first time I've lost anything of any value. Just had to share my frustration with the FT community (I know, I know, this isn't my personal blog).

I'm located in Boston. The website says that I can go to the local office and pay $60 for expedited service if my flight is within 2 weeks or I need a visa for a trip 4 weeks out. I'm going to China on 2/26, so that puts me well out of the 2 week window. But, I theoretically need a visa, so that gets me a bit closer to this week or next week (I actually don't need a Visa b/c I'm taking advantage of the 72-hour stopover rule).

Is it worth paying the $60 for expedited service? The normal time is being quoted at 4-6 weeks, which makes me a bit nervous for a flight 8 weeks from now. There's also a good 50% chance I'll need to fly to Brazil sometime in late-January, but that is unpredictable until the last minute, so I won't have any documentation to show the passport officials if they ask for proof of flight.

Any one else lose their passport recently? What a dumb situation...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott
For 60 dollars, why take the extra risk? what if the government is due for another round of shut down?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shengwan
For 60 dollars, why take the extra risk? what if the government is due for another round of shut down?
My concern is this paragraph on the State Dept. website:

"The Expedited Fee is required for each application submitted in person at a Passport Agency or Center. Some Passport Agencies and Centers require proof of international travel within two weeks, or proof of need to obtain a foreign visa within four weeks. Check the individual agency/center pages for additional details."
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd pay the extra just for peace of mind. If they ask questions, tell them of your planned travel. And they won't ask, anyway.

The Brazil visa could be a problem in that time frame anyway.

Safe Travels,

Doc
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Club Card, UA & DL Platinum; Hyatt's Gold Passport, AVIS President's Club, AA, GOES
I highly recommend letting the experts do the leg work. See the links below:

http://cibtvisas.com/passportrequirements.php
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
oddly enough I found a passport yesterday belonging to someone else. In NYC though and not a US passport.....handed it in to the police. Wasn't 100% sure if I should give it to police or the embassy of the issuing country
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Worth every penny, for the peace of mind....
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:16 pm

The risks/stress/costs of not having the passport in time far outweighs the expedited fees. I recommend paying the extra fees, relaxing and having a great trip!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Welp, I've done it. The first time I've lost anything of any value. Just had to share my frustration with the FT community (I know, I know, this isn't my personal blog).

I'm located in Boston. The website says that I can go to the local office and pay $60 for expedited service if my flight is within 2 weeks or I need a visa for a trip 4 weeks out. I'm going to China on 2/26, so that puts me well out of the 2 week window. But, I theoretically need a visa, so that gets me a bit closer to this week or next week (I actually don't need a Visa b/c I'm taking advantage of the 72-hour stopover rule).

Is it worth paying the $60 for expedited service? The normal time is being quoted at 4-6 weeks, which makes me a bit nervous for a flight 8 weeks from now. There's also a good 50% chance I'll need to fly to Brazil sometime in late-January, but that is unpredictable until the last minute, so I won't have any documentation to show the passport officials if they ask for proof of flight.

Any one else lose their passport recently? What a dumb situation...
For me the $60 is cheaper than having to be stressed out and arriving at the airport without your passport and having to pay the change fee and any fare difference on your new ticket. Just pay the $60 or use a passport expediter service.

Just play it safe.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RSonny2010
I highly recommend letting the experts do the leg work. See the links below:

http://cibtvisas.com/passportrequirements.php
They charge $115 just to file the paperwork? Am I missing something here?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
Lost mine and filed for a new one the regular way. Received it in 8 days, although that may have been the exception rather than the rule.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:29 am

Go to the office, pay the $60, and have it in under an hour. Simple, fast, and painless.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Lost my passport

If you're going in person to the office, you probably won't regret the $60. As far as convenience charges, this one is alright.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuckleandBoots
If you're going in person to the office, you probably won't regret the $60. As far as convenience charges, this one is alright.
Do you know if I have to bring a picture to the office, or are they taken there? I can't find that information on the website. Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:14 am

Lost my passport

If you can get down to DC (I am not sure if they have offices in other cities) you can go in person to the state department and they will process same day for a fee. I think you have to bring documentation of your trip being close in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.