FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Interesting Change.org Airline IFE Petition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1533275-interesting-change-org-airline-ife-petition.html)

JVPhoto Dec 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Interesting Change.org Airline IFE Petition

Woman complaining about IFE and her children.

https://www.change.org/petitions/ame...QyS_yDljJoPkgA

Calchas Dec 29, 2013 10:05 am

To be clear her complaint seems to be films shown on drop-down or bulkhead screens, i.e., not personal IFE.

Well there will always be unhappy people with group decision making. While of course I would prefer interesting films with sex, violence, drug use and other fun rather than boring cartoons, other people's preferences may differ.

My boss doesn't think his children should watch any TV at all.

exbayern Dec 29, 2013 11:26 am

How many times can we watch the film about the giant lemons of Menton, or Juste pour rire without sound?!!! :rolleyes:

There are countless threads on FT about the subject of IFE and personal entertainment, and there will never be agreement.

But I don't agree with having to move to the lowest common denominator.

jake108 Dec 30, 2013 11:06 am

Inappropriate for viewing at 35K

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 22007413)
Woman complaining about IFE and her children.

https://www.change.org/petitions/ame...QyS_yDljJoPkgA

While I generally enjoy the admittedly meager offerings, recently on two occasions(SJU-DFW)I deplored the showing of one of the "Ironman" sequels: not only did it have massive, fiery explosions continuously but also a vaguely "OBL" character. Mentioned to FC FA-it was suggested that I am missing the "comedic" elements. It was on 757 drop down and therefore unavoidable. Wrote to AA CR-no response on this particular issue-disappointing!

PTravel Dec 30, 2013 11:14 am

The idea that all IFE (on drop-down screens) should be "small child appropriate" is idiotic.

gglave Dec 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by jake108 (Post 22050673)
recently on two occasions(SJU-DFW)I deplored the showing of one of the "Ironman" sequels: not only did it have massive, fiery explosions continuously but also a vaguely "OBL" character

It's interesting how people perceive things - I recently watched this movie on a flight and it never even occurred to me to connect the dots between explosions, "OBL" (had to google that one) and the fact that I was on an airplane at the time. I did notice that a scene I had seen in the trailer wasn't in the movie (people falling out of Air Force 1) and now that you've posted this I wonder if it was intentionally edited out - But again, never occurred to me at the time.

OskiBear Dec 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Interesting timing for me.

I was on a few flights around the world recently and always notice that foreign carriers seem to not censor films the way US carriers do.

For example, I was on Cathay Pacific watching "Love, Actually" - an innocuous romantic comedy. However, there are a few scenes of nudity in the film. I actually felt a bit self-conscious watching it when that came on. But, I suppose if the airline felt it was OK to show, who am I to object?

However, for overheads, I think it may be somewhat inappropriate. As for profanity and explosions, I think those are somehwat less bothersome, particularly if your youngster isn't listening to the audio.

I would, however, prefer they not show major blood and gore - but that' just because I'm squeamish :D

exbayern Dec 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 22051383)
Interesting timing for me.

I was on a few flights around the world recently and always notice that foreign carriers seem to not censor films the way US carriers do.

For example, I was on Cathay Pacific watching "Love, Actually" - an innocuous romantic comedy. However, there are a few scenes of nudity in the film. I actually felt a bit self-conscious watching it when that came on. But, I suppose if the airline felt it was OK to show, who am I to object?

However, for overheads, I think it may be somewhat inappropriate. As for profanity and explosions, I think those are somehwat less bothersome, particularly if your youngster isn't listening to the audio.

I have zero issue with sex or nudity being shown. The violence on American television and in films is a far greater turn off to me, and I'm bemused how many here rail about a bare breast or backside, but happily watch violence on prime time television.

It's interesting how people perceive things
One one of the last reincarnations of this topic, a poster insisted that there were graphic sex scenes in Skyfall. Having just watched the original UK version in France, I couldn't recall any, and watched it again sometime later looking for sex.

There was no sex shown at all.... :rolleyes:

callum9999 Dec 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by gglave (Post 22051335)
It's interesting how people perceive things - I recently watched this movie on a flight and it never even occurred to me to connect the dots between explosions, "OBL" (had to google that one) and the fact that I was on an airplane at the time. I did notice that a scene I had seen in the trailer wasn't in the movie (people falling out of Air Force 1) and now that you've posted this I wonder if it was intentionally edited out - But again, never occurred to me at the time.

Many carriers will edit out scenes involving plane crashes etc. While I don't think it's strictly necessary, I have no problem with it. I'd imagine more people than you think would find watching a plane crash while being on a plane a bit unnerving!

vicarious_MR'er Dec 30, 2013 3:45 pm

People need to get a grip. I've got two little kids (and fly with them), and don't expect the world to cater to their delicate sensibilities (perhaps that's why their sensibilities aren't delicate ;) ).

That lady who started the petition, along with anyone who signed it, must have missed the memo that they aren't special snowflakes.

OskiBear Dec 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 22052354)
I have zero issue with sex or nudity being shown. The violence on American television and in films is a far greater turn off to me, and I'm bemused how many here rail about a bare breast or backside, but happily watch violence on prime time television.

I think this means there will never be a concensus on the topic. Gosh, I hope we are not reduced to watching "Happy Feet" on all our flights....

gglave Dec 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 22052354)
I'm bemused how many here rail about a bare breast or backside

While many people on FT complain about a lot of things, I don't recall many railing against this here.

exbayern Dec 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by gglave (Post 22052727)
While many people on FT complain about a lot of things, I don't recall many railing against this here.

You've missed a few threads then. :p It may not be the majority, but again it is a vocal minority who think that the rest of us are evil for not protecting their children. Within the 66 pages of this recent thread there are a few railing https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...omplaints.html

Besides, you live in Canada, where things are getting a bit risqué ;) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ue-movies.html