Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Crew Carry on luggage taking up overhead bin space.

Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:30 am
Suspended

Ft101, CaptRobPhD, WWguy, I will move your bag, if you have a problem with that call the flight attendant. Not my problem.

Comments on an anonymous forum are easy to make. As I said, only twice has someone said anything. Both times the FA removed a bag, but not mine. This is from a 'sampling' of perhaps 100 or more incidents. I am therefore providing DATA, not unsubstantiated emotional comments like 'I would dump items in the aisle'.

I would actually be interested to hear how things worked out if someone 'dumped someone's items in the aisle.'
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I disagree with your belief cynicAAl. I will move your bag, if you have a problem with that, call the flight attendant. Not my problem.
the critical difference here is that my belief is based on actual airline policy, enforced by crew. Your belief that you're entitled to some allocation of the bin over your row is based on nothing more than your personal opinion.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:38 am

Ft101, . . . .I will move your bag, if you have a problem with that call the flight attendant. Not my problem.'
I've already said, I take minimal cabin baggage so you won't need to.

Comments on an anonymous forum are easy to make.'
Yes, we can all tell that from your posts.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:39 am
Suspended

Ft101, that FOUR people disagree with something I wrote should tell me what beyond the fact that FOUR people disagree? Four is hardly a representative number to suggest anything.

I'm not here to debate, I posted my view and my actions based on that view along with the fact that only 2 people have ever said anything. You can disagree with my viewpoint but you cannot disagree with the facts as told. It works for me and that's the end of the story.

The critical difference here cynicAAl, is that you have a 'belief' while I am providing factual data. I don't 'believe' I would move your bag and the FA would leave mine alone, I am reporting facts.

Or simply put, there may be the 'rules' but there is also what happens in reality which may or may not conform to the 'rules'. What I'm saying is what happens, not what the 'rules' say is supposed to happen. That happens in real life all the time with all kinds of rules does it not?

I do not want to argue with anyone about anything. I'm simply telling you what I do and what happens when I do. You don't have to agree with my viewpoint but you can't disagree with the facts. Can we end this now?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 23, 2013 at 3:45 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I do not want to argue with anyone about anything.
is it opposite day ?

Can we end this now?
did it ever start ?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: DL GM
Ft101, CaptRobPhD, WWguy, I will move your bag, if you have a problem with that call the flight attendant. Not my problem.

Comments on an anonymous forum are easy to make. As I said, only twice has someone said anything. Both times the FA removed a bag, but not mine. This is from a 'sampling' of perhaps 100 or more incidents. I am therefore providing DATA, not unsubstantiated emotional comments like 'I would dump items in the aisle'.

I would actually be interested to hear how things worked out if someone 'dumped someone's items in the aisle.'
If you reposition my items in a manner that is advantageous to you and disadvantageous to me I'll take it up directly with you. I'll do this directly, up close, and in person... not via the FA or an internet forum. You might not believe me because you don't know me and this apparently hasn't happened to you yet. Frankly I don't care. If you don't get the response you deserve from me, you'll eventually get it from somebody.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive

I am also providing factual data: I don't need to talk to the FA to (re)move you or your bag; FAs report to me on the plane.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CaptRobPhD
I am also providing factual data: I don't need to talk to the FA to (re)move you or your bag; FAs report to me on the plane.
Yup. Don't second question the captain y'all. Captain's carryon bag is priority first. Our bodies second.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by WWGuy
... not via the FA ...
Which increases the probability of you getting kicked off the flight since all someone has to do, with corroboration with others overhearing your 'up close confrontation', is make the case that you have a confrontational, violent personality and that you pose a danger to others.

I've seen that happen on a couple carriers -- American and JetBlue.

Not worth it. Just get it mediated by an FA.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by simpleflyer
However I am confused by your post. If an airline pays for tickets for an employee, this is on the cost side of the ledger not the revenue side. You are still a non-revenue passenger as measured by what's on the airline's ledger.
Yes, you are confused. It is a cost to my airline and revenue to the airline on which I'm flying.

My airline does not buy me tickets on my own airline, they buy me tickets on OTHER airlines. This week, for example, I have tickets on both Delta and AirTran. This year I've flown most frequently on United which is why I'm Premier Platinum on UAL. I don't work for Delta, AirTran, or United. My tickets for this week's travel cost my company right at $1100.

It's no different from if your employer bought you an airline ticket.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Ft101, that FOUR people disagree with something I wrote should tell me what beyond the fact that FOUR people disagree? Four is hardly a representative number to suggest anything.
You can add me to those who disagree with you since you seem to want to count. Don't take silence as agreement. Also, last time someone started moving my carry on without asking permission to do so there was a confrontation and my bag stayed where it was with the support of the FA who I paged. I put my bag opposite my seat where I could see it and the person sitting below felt entitled to that space when they boarded. FA agreed with me.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:42 pm

Oh wait I can beat that! How about getting to your seat only to find a 100 rolls of toilet paper in the overhead space for 4 rows of seats. To crown it the TAM FA Said it was for the Return!!! Leg.......
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by moeve
Oh wait I can beat that! How about getting to your seat only to find a 100 rolls of toilet paper in the overhead space for 4 rows of seats. To crown it the TAM FA Said it was for the Return!!! Leg.......
Was the flight leaving from mexico city? when they say don't drink the water ... don't drink the water.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:06 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

This thread started as a discussion of crew carry-on bags taking up overhead bin space. It was taken off-topic and into an increasingly heated and personal direction by a provocative post and replies thereto discussing overhead storage of non-crew luggage. While we allowed some of this off-topic and heated discussion, the thread is increasingly spinning into discussions of a personal nature.

It's time to reset the thread and return to a discussion of the original topic and to do so in a way that will not return the thread to violations of the FlyerTalk Rules -- especially at this holiday season. Nonconforming posts have been deleted.

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:56 am

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo

With overhead lockers locked on both sides of the planes in rows 36-37-38, this is a whopping 18pax or 11% of pax that are denied overhead space on UA A320. Yes there is some emergency equipment (oxygen) in the last locker, but yes FA bags were overflowing in the lockers of 35. I think this shows all you need to know about US airlines. Whether it is management not properly configuring aircraft to save floor space for FA or FA and their deadheading buddies serving themselves first, I think paying pas should deserve better. Probably same situation on first row lockers in FC, so 12% is likely conservative.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.