Wiki Posts
Search

What is considered "heavy travelling"?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:13 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Cool What is considered "heavy travelling"?

Its the end of the year and I just logged into our companies' leave system where our business trips are also logged.

I have completed this year 99 days of business travel - for a company where I should in the job description be locally based without much travelling.

So what is considered "heavy traveling"?

I am a family man so I would consider 99 days business travel already "heavy travelling". I guess it may be different if I was single...

Thoughts?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm weighing in at 301 pounds right now, so for me it's always heavy travel.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:23 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm weighing in at 301 pounds right now, so for me it's always heavy travel.
Is that before or after marriage
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA; Alaska; Frontier; SWA; HIlton, Hyatt, Marriott

There are 220 work days per year. Less whatever vacation is provided. then subtract any unworkable weeks such as Thanksgiving week, Christmas / New Year's week, kid's school breaks, hot August weeks (when Europe is closed for business)...I figure that there's 44 weeks of desirable, functional travel. I traveled 35 weeks last year of these 44. I spent 130 days in hotel rooms out if 176 (44 weeks x 4 nights possible). To me, that's heavy travel. ..and one that will wreck your marriage and family (I have neither)..
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
So what is considered "heavy traveling"?
It's the point where you get tired of the grind and wish you were home with your family instead. That point will depend on the person.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:23 am

I spent 200 days in beds other than my home one this year.
just over 180 of those were in Hotels
the other 20 were staying with family or friends.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: *G
If you sleep more nights away from home more than at home
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why is the OP asking? Additional privileges or benefits for heavy travelers at his job? Trying to reconcile job description and actuality? Revising vita? It doesn't sound like he/she is trying to decide whether to apply or accept a new jb with heavy travel.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:42 am

Lots of people live like Ryan Bingham in "Up in the Air". I did it for years, just home once in a great while to pay bills, wash some clothes, and head out again. Definitely wouldn't do it again though. I can't even imagine trying to travel that heavily throughout the USA again on the planes they fly now. Before the service might not have been great, but at least it was somewhat comfortable and relatively low hassle.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:14 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I guess I ask for several reasons..
For one I'm planning to hire a new sales person and want to figure out if my travel patterns can be considered heavy (I guess not) - and to be able to reflect the job req better in the job ad.
Second is just out of pure curiosity.
In the end to each his own - I find as a father and husband my near 100nights bordering on limit..
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:39 am

I think if you qualify for any elite status on an airline - by actually flying not via a credit card or other marketing offers - you're a heavy traveler.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
As a frequent and ikely heavy traveler for many years now, I think a "heavy traveler" is someone doing 7 out of every 8 weeks on the road with those trips being 3 or more days each. As the OP quantified it, I'd say at least 200 hotel nights/year.

The older I get and the more miles I fly (over 200K BIS miles on AA alone this year, so far), I realize there are many, many frequent/heavy fliers. How many Accenture, IBM, EMC, law firm x, law firm y, lobbiest x, lobbiest y backpacks and briefs do I see in airports and on flights.... a lot! These people are all traveling each and every week to/from all across the country; many for long durations (year+ assignments). These are the "heavy" travelers.

Or in my case, when the TSA at LAX knows you by name, recognizes your shoes in line, and/or takes the time to shake your hand and walk/talk with you; it's too much! LOL!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:07 am

I am with Koko. I will just made silver status this year. I have a wife and kid and think that more travel than that would be considered heavy. Anything more than 30% away from home?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
In the world of FT, 99 nights is "average", as you can see from the replies. In the real world, I think most average Americans (an assumption) would consider 99 nights to be crazy heavy travel. It's certainly in the top 20% or so of the entire population, so on a none/light/moderate/heavy/crazy scale, it is at least "heavy".

(And yes, I would fall in the "meh, that's nothin" FT group)
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CPRich
In the world of FT, 99 nights is "average", as you can see from the replies. In the real world, I think most average Americans (an assumption) would consider 99 nights to be crazy heavy travel. It's certainly in the top 20% or so of the entire population, so on a none/light/moderate/heavy/crazy scale, it is at least "heavy".

(And yes, I would fall in the "meh, that's nothin" FT group)
I would agree with this above. 99 nights to the average folks is a lot. Rather than use qualitative terms (light, moderate, heavy) in the job posting I would state in quantitative terms per year

Examples:
1. Travel is compulsory with this job, expect to take 2-3 domestic economy airline trips per month with an average length of 4 days. Most trips begin on Monday morning and returning on Thursday evening.

2. Travel is part of this job, expect to take 1 international business class trip per quarter, with an average lenth of 12 days. Travel generally begins on a Sunday and returns on the second Friday.

Some folks are okay with scenario one, but not the scenario two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.