Search

How do you organize passport stamps?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, CC Gold

Hey guys

Ever since getting my new passport, I've become a bit OCD wanting all my passport stamps chronological. I've usually asked the immigration officers to stamp on a specific page. Anybody else as OCD as me?

On a side note, when going to SJD the Mexican immigration officer simply opened up to any page and stamped. Crooked, dead center of a page.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
The only time I get a little perturbed is when they stamp a blank page when there are places available on other pages. This is because I often run short of blank pages to get a visa.

As for the Mexican stamps, I have one from a couple of years ago and it is long and thin with green ink.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium

Since they all have dates, I'm not concerned. In fact, I like when immigration finds a blank spot somewhere to fill in.

Mexico did annoy me because they stamped over an existing one, but it was a re-entry stamp from the US, so I wasn't too concerned.

The only time I get upset is when I don't get a stamp (that's you, Canada!)
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec. Plat., HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver, Hertz Pres. Circle, Starwood Gold, etc.

Mexico just doesn't care. I have somewhere between 8 and 12 stamps over a couple of different passports and not one of them is lined up properly.

I did manage to get a stamp from Canada. I had to ask them to do it.

On another note, the last time I flew through Hong Kong, I was told that they no longer stamp passports. I was glad I already had that one but it left me wondering what other countries don't stamp anymore.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
Mexico stamps all over the place with no regard to anything.

Israel doesn't stamp passports anymore. When I was there in May I had to ask for one
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite

Many places I've visited don't stamp by default. I've always had success when I've asked.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, Mexico really rubbed me the wrong way. I think they it's their policy to make immigration as difficult and sloppy as possible to match their perceived treatment of Mexicans by Americans.

The only place I really wish they'd stamp was Andorra. I did however get an entry stamp into Spain by car at La Seu d'Urgell - the only way in being Andorra. =P
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cgchu
Mexico just doesn't care. I have somewhere between 8 and 12 stamps over a couple of different passports and not one of them is lined up properly.

On another note, the last time I flew through Hong Kong, I was told that they no longer stamp passports. I was glad I already had that one but it left me wondering what other countries don't stamp anymore.
I was just in Hong Kong for the first time and was pretty upset by the cheesy piece of receipt paper they stapled into my passport. At least there was something put in it, so I can't complain too much.

One thing I miss with Global Entry is seeing where I've come back into the US first. Those stamps were neat.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin
I was just in Hong Kong for the first time and was pretty upset by the cheesy piece of receipt paper they stapled into my passport. At least there was something put in it, so I can't complain too much.

One thing I miss with Global Entry is seeing where I've come back into the US first. Those stamps were neat.
My sentiments exactly. Even without global entry, US immigration never stamped upon arrival. I had to request it.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:06 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
My dad used to draw lines in his passport and make a nice table of 6 squares and told the immigration officers where to stamp...

.... until the embassy noticed when he wanted to renew and told him off...

BUT IT WORKED!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Most annoyed when they do it the Mexican way, and the Aussie and Taiwanese immigration are also guilty of that.

China's is very orderly but they seem to like to stamp on top of the Japanese ones.

Also don't appreciate stuff being stapled on my passport, stamps with too much and too little ink.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
When travelled 1-2 intercontinental per year, I used to expressly ask the officer to stamp on a blank page. I liked the idea of completing my passport within validity. Now quite the opposite, as saving pages it's priority and luckily all over Europe more than 35 countries do not stamp and mostly do not even require passport anymore.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:01 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cgchu

No more HK chops? I thought that was just the policy for those of us frequent HK(G) visitors.

--

IMO, the ONLY + about Thai airports is that they write down the flight numbers on the stamps.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:16 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

I was surprised they stamped on my DUB-CDG flight. Didn't think they stamped on intra-EU flights. Of course the DUB stamp coming from the US is HUGE
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:15 am

why do some of you deliberately want a stamp and ask for it when they don't give? don't get that
especially since others are complaining that they might run of place so want them to be put orderly.
makes more sense to have as few few as possible so u don't have to worry i guess.
ah for me as eu- citizen its not a big deal anyway/ intra eu travelling i don't even need to carry the passport so. it won't get filled that quickly with 4-5 interncontinetal trips per year and a passport that has to be renewed (unfortunately) every 5 years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.