Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

what's the reason that exit row seats have very thin padding?(caused by heavy folks?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's the reason that exit row seats have very thin padding?(caused by heavy folks?)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

I've always had this love and hate relationship when it comes to exit row seating.

If my upgrades doesn't come through, I always try to get an exit row seats because I'm tall. (6'3" and 197 to 210 pounds)

Most exit row seats have really thin padding on the seat cushion. I really don't understand the reasoning for this. A friend of mine said it's because heavy folks like myself prefer these seats and thinned out the seat cushions. I can't believe that's the reason...
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
in many cases it's to ensure that the seat doesn't actually intrude into the exit opening
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
They also tend to be shorter from front to back and narrower to fit the narrower seat, all of which makes for less bulk to fly off into the row in an emergency and impede folks trying to exit that way. On the negative size, it would seem to also make for a somewhat smaller and less effective flotation device.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: DL GM
I love the jealous looks I recieve from my fellow exit row passengers when I pull this inflatable seat pad out of my laptop bag and deploy it. FA's frequently give me a knowing smile too.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
They also tend to be shorter from front to back and narrower to fit the narrower seat, all of which makes for less bulk to fly off into the row in an emergency and impede folks trying to exit that way. On the negative size, it would seem to also make for a somewhat smaller and less effective flotation device.
You have had the opportunity to test out the effectiveness of an airplane seat bottom as a flotation device? Details please!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: StarAlliance Gold, 1K, Marriott Platinum
I always travel with my handy seat pad ... because with the new slimline seats be prepared for no padding in any seat ...
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by WWGuy
I love the jealous looks I recieve from my fellow exit row passengers when I pull this inflatable seat pad out of my laptop bag and deploy it. FA's frequently give me a knowing smile too.
Yeah, I have a similar one for my butt and back.

But as said the "thinner" cushion is for emergency egress. IMHO it is a joke as the cushion is not much thinner than a regular seat cushion. Especially after a few hundreds butt sittings.

BTW another one that took me a while to figure out is why the latches for the tray table are blocked in one direction. Also for egress. In case some one hits it the tray does not come down.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
One of my flights was delayed due to exit row cushions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ent-today.html
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by krlcomm
You have had the opportunity to test out the effectiveness of an airplane seat bottom as a flotation device? Details please!
Not yet, thank the stars. I was just riffing on the FA's usual announcement that "your seat cushion can be used as an emergency flotation device." Since total buoyancy is a factor of the total of the buoyant material, it seems likely that a smaller cushion would provide less buoyancy. Just conjecture. Hey, whatever floats your -er- butt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.