Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Window Seat on Long Haul, Left or Right Side?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Window Seat on Long Haul, Left or Right Side?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by emma69
I thought both go hard left in the air, but hard right in boats.
No ... to the right
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by sbams
No ... to the right
Thanks for the confirmation.

I astill intrigued by the post re " I prefer left as captain swerves to left " . if in mid air, not much difference if a near miss, immaterial if there is contact !
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
If I have some desperate need to get off quicker, left side. Otherwise right. I sleep better on my right side, prefer the window seat anyway, I'm right handed, so there is no interference with neighbors.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Doesn't make a difference to me. Hopefully the middle seat next to me is open.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
For some reason, I always prefer the left side for window, and the right side for aisle. I think I naturally lean to the left a bit and that way I am leaning away from my seatmate.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by moseslin
Doesn't make a difference to me. Hopefully the middle seat next to me is open.
Or a slim lady in the center seat ?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
Some have mentioned choosing the side opposite of the sun. Does anyone prefer to see the sun set or rise on these long-haul flights?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:10 pm

If I chose a window seat for long-haul flights, I'll pick the side that offers the better scenery on takeoff and landing (or just cruising). Personally I'm more concerned with a seat that can get me off the plane quicker (further upfront) than the particular side I will be seating on.

I know many people don't like window seats on long-haul flights because it can be such a hassle to get to the washroom pass the other two passengers next to you. But I personally don't mind it as much.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:59 am

i sleep better on the right side
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:09 am

Departing JFK to TPE on a daytime flight. Which side would provide with the best views for a typical "polar" routing?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:11 pm

I choose based on the position of the sun. I want to be on the opposite side. I do that on all flights long or short.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Departing JFK to TPE on a daytime flight. Which side would provide with the best views for a typical "polar" routing?
as suggested upthread, check FlightAware for the actual flight paths over the last few days/weeks ... it’s not a guarantee, as day-of-flight winds and enroute weather will influence the filed routing, but it’s generally a pretty good guess

if in the next month or so ... even though it’s a daytime departure, most of the first few hours is actually on a northerly track and you’ll be in darkness fairly soon ... I’d pick the right side; a much better opportunity to see the Aurora Borealis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.