Wiki Posts
Search

Top 10 Longest Non-Stop Flights in the World

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist

I know there was some interest in a few of the past top 10 lists I've complied and posted here so here's another. Admittedly, the other lists required much more research and were likely more interesting whereas this info essentially on wikipedia. Either way, maybe some will enjoy...

Full post with pictures and proper formatting available here: Weekend Blitz - TOP 10: WORLD’S LONGEST NON-STOP FLIGHTS

-------------------------------------------------

So we've covered the TOP 7: LONGEST DOMESTIC US FLIGHTS and the TOP 10: LONGEST DOMESTIC FLIGHTS IN THE WORLD, but what about the longest non-stop flights in the world? Airplane manufacturers are always pushing the envelope trying to design planes that fly faster, farther and more efficiently. So far, the plane that has held the record is an Airbus A340-500 with a range of 9,000 nautical miles (10,357 miles) but it's interesting to see that Boeing largely dominates the ultra long-haul list.

So, what are the top 10 longest (by distance) non-stop flights in the world?

1. Sydney-SYD <--> Dallas-DFW is the clear leader at 8,578 miles (13,804 km). Qantas flies the route using their 747-400ER (more details on this specialized aircraft here) at a schedule time of 15 hr 25 min. Pretty crazy that this thing carriers 364 people nearly 9,000 miles w/o refueling.

2. Johannesburg-JNB <--> Atlanta-ATL comes in at 8,439 miles (13,582 km) and is operated by Delta's Boeing 777-200LR, taking 16 hr 55 min.

3. Dubai-DXB <--> Los Angeles-LAX comes in 3rd aboard Emirates' Boeing 777-300ER or, at times, their Airbus A380-800. The 16 hr 30 min flight covers 8,339 miles (13,420 km). Cool part? The A380 model seats 489 people! "Emirates A380 offers 14 Private First Class Suites, 76 lie-flat beds in Business Class and 399 spacious seats in Economy Class."

Updated 11/20/14: 4. Jeddah-JED <–> Los Angeles-LAX just started up service on March 31, 2014 and immediate jumped in as the 4th longest flight in the world. The 8,332 mile (13,409 km) flight takes 16 hr 55 mins aboard Saudia’s Boeing 777-300ER.

5. Dallas-DFW <--> Brisbane-BNE is another Qantas route served by their Boeing 747-400ER. At 8,303 miles (13,363 km) they'll get you there in appx 16 hrs.

6. Dubai-DXB <--> Houston-IAH takes 16 hr 20 min on Emirates' Boeing 777-300ER and covers a distance of 8,168 miles (13,144 km).

7. Dubai-DXB <--> San Francisco-SFO comes in at #6 at a distance of 8,103 miles (13,041 km) on Emirates' Boeing 777-300ER. The scheduled flying time is 16 hr 00 min.

8. New York-JFK/Newark-EWR <--> Hong Kong-HKG -- this route is basically a tie between United Airlines departing from Newark-EWR and Cathay Pacific departing from New York-JFK. Technically the Cathay Pacific route is 8,072 miles, just 7 miles further than United's flight. The 16 hr 05 min flight is aboard CX's`Boeing 777-300ER.

9. Doha-DOH <--> Houston-IAH is operated by Qatar Airways' Boeing 777-200LR. At 8,047 miles (12,951 km), the 16 hr 20 min has been in service since 2009.

10. Dubai-DXB <--> Dallas-DFW gives Emirates its 4th route in the top 10 longest non-stop flight. The 8,040 mile trip takes 16 hr 20 min and, unlike the other 3 Emirates flights, uses a Boeing 777-200LR, not 777-300ER.

11. Johannesburg-JNB <--> New York-JFK rounds out the list at #10. The 7,969 mile (12,825 km) flight takes 16 hr 05 min on a South African Airbus A340-600.

Shout-out to: Newark-EWR <--> Singapore-SIN which held the title as world's longest flight for nearly 10 years (service ends Nov 23, 2013). The all-business class Airbus A340-500 flew the planned distance of 9,535 miles (15,345 km) in 18 hr 50 min. Interestingly, despite Emirates having 4 of the top 10 longest flights, Singapore's next longest flight isn't even in the top 30.

Future record holder? Turkish Airlines has announced plans for a route from Istanbul-IST to Sydney-SYD, 9,293 miles apart. This route would beat current record holder, Dallas-Sydney, by nearly 800 miles. More details on the announcement here: Turkish Airlines to start world’s longest non-stop flight, to Australia. The airline says they'll likely use a Boeing 777-300ER on the route.

Full post with pictures and proper formatting available here: Weekend Blitz - TOP 10: WORLD’S LONGEST NON-STOP FLIGHTS

Last edited by jmgriffin; Nov 20, 2014 at 2:24 pm Reason: inc #4 JED-LAX
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Multiple threads on this topic.
If you search "longest flights", you'll find myriad threads, including this one
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I am very surprised that DXB-IAH is longer than DXB-SFO.. seems counterintuitive. I am not challenging it though, just an observation
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
That's because we're so used to seeing the earth as a flt projection, and you're probably visualizing it east to west.

Click here to see what's really going on.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:27 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Not a bad bucket list, at least for the routes that still have first class cabins.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Or, to put a slightly different slant on things, 10 routes that I will do anything to avoid. Then again, I'm of the firm conviction any aeroplane with a range of more than 4 hours should never have me onboard.

PS
Recently did DXB-ICN and back in F on an A380 with Emirates. 10 hours each way, hated the last 8 of them both ways.

PPS
I've been using Icelandair for my travels to the US for quite some time. It's pretty nice, what with 4 hours up to REK, 1.5 hours to stretch the legs and inhale vast quantities of nicotine, then strap back in for another 5 hours or so. I know many will find this overtly long winded, but it suits me just fine. The fact that I don't earn miles is of no consequence at all; about the last thing I want to do on my time off is endure another bloody airport-aircraft-hotel combo. When I'm off and feel the need for a vacation, I'll fire up the Boxster and point its nose southward. The alps are 10 hours away, the med another 4. I'll happily do that non-stop, it is only around 1200-1700 km, but I can stop whenever I want, even stay for a night along the way if that's what floats my boat.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I am very surprised that DXB-IAH is longer than DXB-SFO.. seems counterintuitive. I am not challenging it though, just an observation
Speaking of Dubai, gcmap.com put up a pretty interesting graphic showing the range of the new B777x and how Emirates will now be able to fly virtually anywhere in the world non-stop:

Also, just updated the map to include the flight that will become the new #3 in a few months:

Update 11/26/13: Etihad Airways has announced service from their hub in Abu Dhabi-AUH to Los Angeles-LAX. This 8,390 mile route is expected to begin June 1, 2014 and would move Etihad from not even ranking in the Top 10 to having the 3rd longest non-stop flight in the world. The airline expects to fly the route using a Boeing 777-200LR. (Thanks to reader "BNAOWB" for the info! More info here: USA Today)

Unlike the aircraft in the photo, the 777-200LR is expected to have windows
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: QFF

The QF flight does SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD.
They need to wait for more A380s or some 787s before they can return right to SYD. The 747-438ER doesn't have the range to do DFW-SYD with the head wind.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Or, to put a slightly different slant on things, 10 routes that I will do anything to avoid. Then again, I'm of the firm conviction any aeroplane with a range of more than 4 hours should never have me onboard.

PS
Recently did DXB-ICN and back in F on an A380 with Emirates. 10 hours each way, hated the last 8 of them both ways.

PPS
I've been using Icelandair for my travels to the US for quite some time. It's pretty nice, what with 4 hours up to REK, 1.5 hours to stretch the legs and inhale vast quantities of nicotine, then strap back in for another 5 hours or so. I know many will find this overtly long winded, but it suits me just fine. The fact that I don't earn miles is of no consequence at all; about the last thing I want to do on my time off is endure another bloody airport-aircraft-hotel combo. When I'm off and feel the need for a vacation, I'll fire up the Boxster and point its nose southward. The alps are 10 hours away, the med another 4. I'll happily do that non-stop, it is only around 1200-1700 km, but I can stop whenever I want, even stay for a night along the way if that's what floats my boat.
Those flights are actually going into KEF. I hate Icelandairs seats, give me 14 hours of F over 5 hours in those glorified E+ J seats anyday.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:21 pm

CX has the greatest frequency on ULH flights - 4 times daily direct to JFK/EWR
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
I am flying SIN-DXB-JFK in two weeks time with my 4 yr and although the DXB-JFK is *only* just over 14 hrs it is going to seem to me like the longest flt in the world.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty

PS

PPS
Given a choice, I'm definitely not going to do those ultra-long-haul flights listed above in cattle class. But I have in fact done so on several occasions, such as the HK to JFK route in econ (blame my cheapskate employer). It always starts off fine but becomes an uncomfortable and grueling endurance test near the end. You feel like a brain-dead zombie after those flights. You can say it's the "Flight of the Living Dead", haha.

However, I have also done those flights in first and business class on a few occasions and it is those mega-distance flights that a lie-flat bed earn it's value. You really feel alot more refreshed in business compared to an economy class flight.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Nov 28, 2013 at 1:43 am
Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Unlike the aircraft in the photo, the 777-200LR is expected to have windows
Excellent observation
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Of the ten routes listed at the top of this thread, I've personally flown two of them. Who here has flown the most?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:35 pm

JNB-ATL at about 17 hrs seems unreal. I'd love to try it though; one for the books.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.