Wiki Posts
Search

Things FAs say

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Things FAs say

1) "You will earn approximately 500 miles for this flight." If it's a 236-mile (or whatever) flight, why do they need to clarify that the 500 mile earn is approximate?

2) "The local time is approximately 7:32 PM." Why? So nobody can sue them if the lead FA's watch is a minute off?

3) "Welcome to... with direct non-stop service to Baltimore." Doesn't every flight offer direct non-stop service to its destination?!! Or pretty much every flight if we ignore scheduled refueling and rare international issues (charter flight from abroad flying back home to a non-international airport...stops on the way to clear customs/immigration).

Last edited by kamadzu4; Oct 27, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: CO Gold
about 3, a direct flight might offer service to xyz with stop in certain city

example

I could be on a direct flight, that goes from EWR to LAX with a stopover in IAH

in this case it would be a flight offering non stop service to IAH, continuing to LAX (all under one flight number

I suppose thats the technical detail here

about 1, its probably just part of a script. they simply follow it
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
3) "Welcome to... with direct non-stop service to Baltimore." Doesn't every flight offer direct non-stop service to its destination?!!
On Southwest Airlines it's common to hear a greeting such as, "Welcome to flight 1234 with non-stop service to AAA on its way to BBB and CCC." It's also common for 10-20% of the passengers to be traveling through to BBB.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
The applicable airline language, translated into English:

Direct: "We take you to your intended destination most of the time, usually without a change of aircraft.". Direct does not mean "non-stop". You may actually stop, sometimes more than once, along the way.

Non-stop: "Most of the time we go directly to your destination without stopping."
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Platinum, HP Diamond
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
about 3, a direct flight might offer service to xyz with stop in certain city

example

I could be on a direct flight, that goes from EWR to LAX with a stopover in IAH

in this case it would be a flight offering non stop service to IAH, continuing to LAX (all under one flight number

I suppose thats the technical detail here

about 1, its probably just part of a script. they simply follow it
Something about this that bugs when they do it on 5 different stops (sup WN?)
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Buh'bye...

Translation: $&*@

Last edited by Doc Savage; Oct 27, 2013 at 7:22 pm
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
1) "You will earn approximately 500 miles for this flight." If it's a 236-mile (or whatever) flight, why do they need to clarify that the 500 mile earn is approximate?
The wording is poor because some people earn a percentage of the actual mileage flown (could be 25% or it could be 150%), depending on the fare class. In such a case it would make sense to say that as far as FF programs are concerned, the distance flown is X.

2) "The local time is approximately 7:32 PM." Why? So nobody can sue them if the lead FA's watch is a minute off?
Because they use their watch to tell time, as opposed to some official time. Some can be off by several minutes.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
"Of course it's the local time. What did they think we were expecting? The time in Pago Pago?" - George Carlin, "Airline Announcements". One of the best comedy routines ever performed.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Because their grasp of English is not great enough to be able to be accurate and colloquial simultaneously.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
"Welcome to AA Flight 70, FlaAAgship Service to Frankfurt."

If sitting in Y, how is FlAAgship Service different than any other seat in steerage?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:04 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

Members, to keep this thread open, the discussion needs to observe FT Rules for posting, i.e., avoiding vulgarities or offensive language toward different populations. In other words, please keep the discussion on a higher plane, rather than on a blue-streak X-rated nightclub act. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
For a long time COdbaUA plastered their billboard on the way to ORD with this message "The most non-stop flights from O'Hare..."

Well, by definition, EVERY flight from an airport is non-stop to the first destination... So, the airline with the most flights, can also boast of the most non-stop flights.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
"Of course it's the local time. What did they think we were expecting? The time in Pago Pago?" - George Carlin, "Airline Announcements". One of the best comedy routines ever performed.
I think the quibble was with the word approximately. I don 't see what the problem is. If you need the exact time call up WWV at 303-499-7111.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by weekilter
I think the quibble was with the word approximately. I don 't see what the problem is. If you need the exact time call up WWV at 303-499-7111.
You missed the point. kamadzu4's statement also included "local time". Carlin's quibble was with the use of "local" time. Guess that went over your head.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by milepig
For a long time COdbaUA plastered their billboard on the way to ORD with this message "The most non-stop flights from O'Hare..."

Well, by definition, EVERY flight from an airport is non-stop to the first destination... So, the airline with the most flights, can also boast of the most non-stop flights.
"They might tell you you're on a 'nonstop' flight. Well I don't really care for that. No, I insist that my flight stop. Preferably at an airport. It's those unscheduled cornfield and housing development stops that seem to interupt the flow of my day" - more from Carlin's "Airline Announcements".

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; Oct 31, 2013 at 11:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.